Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a long bow Breakdown says made by grimbly and autographed by fred bear , any one interested? will check in in about an hour from now , it is noon my time, eastern daylight savings time

·
Registered
7 Posts
His name is Nels Grumley and he was the original bowyer for Bear archery. Nels was a true artist and his work is like nothing else in my opinion. Would need to see the bow to know when it was made but if it has Nels Grumley hand written on it it was made after 1934 from my understanding. This is because prior to that he had a Bear Achery stamp that he put on all the bows but when the stamp broke (they only had one) he started signing them. If it is a static recurve like his brushbow model it is worth more as these are real rare, materials, year and condition all make a difference but I sold a Grumley Brushbow sight unseen for $1000.00 about 10 years ago so if you find someone who wants it bad enough it is worth a bit of money.

The one I had was looked at and dated by Nels son (I think his name is Steve) he told me it was in as good of condition as he had ever seen and that I could still shoot it.

I started shooting it that summer and was intending on taking a deer with it that fall when a collector bought it to stop me from shooting the bow. He was afraid it would break.

I just figured the bow was made to hunt and I was taking it home.

Put some picks up if you can showing design and close up of anything written on the bow and I or someone else may be able to date it for you.

Bob Urban

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bear Bow by Grumbly

I will try and get this picture up in here. I am not sure if I can do this as I am very new to this chat.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
That bow looks real nice. Not sure when they put the take down piece on it and it does say 1983 which surprises me so I am not sure about the value. I suggest showing it on a site called Stickbow.com. Go to the "Leatherwall" and show these photos and I am sure you will get many responces.

Just my two cents - Bob Urban

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bear Bow

Hi Bob, the 1983 on the bow was when Fred Bear signed it in person at an outdoor-rama. it does say made by grumbly underneath where Fred signed it and right now I have 2 people who are bidding on it, so I am going back and forth between the two. I am not sure I want to deal with more than the two going back and forth unless I get a much better offer than what I am getting now at $50 each time.
The bow was purchased at a antique sale in 1958 in Detroit at the shipyard where my husband worked , he worked on the Edmund Fitzgerald

Shirley

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shirley - I do not want to bid on the bow but I will say that it is worth a great deal to a collector and obviously the two bidders are aware of this. It is not something that will make you rich but it is a rich piece of archery history and hopefully whomever purchases it from you will display it for others to see. The man that bought mine was from South Carolina I think and he had a large collection of bows that he took to archery events and displayed.

Please post the results of your auction I am curious what they feel that value is.

Bob Urban

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bear Bow

Hi
I did put the bow on e-bay, I also added 2 more pictures to it, if you would like to see it the number is 3633140064, so far I have had about 264 lookers but no bids as yet. I started out with the highest bid of the 2 that were e-mailing me. I have 3 days and 11 hours left on it.

Thanks for your input
Shirley

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fred Bear 1930's proto.. Raw ! Excellent shape ..82 years old.

His name is Nels Grumley and he was the original bowyer for Bear archery. Nels was a true artist and his work is like nothing else in my opinion. Would need to see the bow to know when it was made but if it has Nels Grumley hand written on it it was made after 1934 from my understanding. This is because prior to that he had a Bear Achery stamp that he put on all the bows but when the stamp broke (they only had one) he started signing them. If it is a static recurve like his brushbow model it is worth more as these are real rare, materials, year and condition all make a difference but I sold a Grumley Brushbow sight unseen for $1000.00 about 10 years ago so if you find someone who wants it bad enough it is worth a bit of money.

The one I had was looked at and dated by Nels son (I think his name is Steve) he told me it was in as good of condition as he had ever seen and that I could still shoot it.

I started shooting it that summer and was intending on taking a deer with it that fall when a collector bought it to stop me from shooting the bow. He was afraid it would break.

I just figured the bow was made to hunt and I was taking it home.

Put some picks up if you can showing design and close up of anything written on the bow and I or someone else may be able to date it for you.

Bob Urban
Hi ! I am new here, but have amazing news.. I have had a wooden "Recurve Fred Bear Bow" for 17 years now. A Man named Gus and architect at Blackstone in Jamestown N.Y. Seen my passion for bow hunting and took if off his basement wall witch he said was hanging there sense 1930.. I have never put a string on it but I have waxed it and kept the dust off it.. A real Gem ! I will post when I find out how. Thank you for having a wonderful [email protected] this bow is some ware around 82years young.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts