Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many threads here on bows. and some say shoots great no hand shock others say that thing is rough.
I wonder how many bows are not set up right or shooting the wrong arrows.
I have a switchback xt and a monster. I know start the bashing .. seriously
I personally thing guys are not happy with bows because the bow is not tuned or set up properly.. I think 90% of todays bows are pretty darn good regardless of brand name. Your thoughts?? please dont Brand bash thats not wat this thread is all about thanks..

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I agree for the most part....but I think the feel of a bow is all based on the indivual person

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
We are all individuals and like or prefer different things.
Dan

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I totally agree with what you're saying! A bow will feel like a totally different animal when it's NOT properly set up to your draw length. This is why I think a person can get such dramatically different opinions on many bows. For example, the new Mahews rig... they ship the demo bows out at 29"70#, now anyone who goes to their Shop and shoots this bow certainly isn't going t get a accurate, comfortable feedback unless their drawlength happens to be 29". Just not an accurate way to judge a bow.

I also agree with you on the fact that it's getting harder and harder to find abad bow.... thats for sure! I think some folks that put down a lot of bows do so simply because they happen to be so brand loyal "fanboys" that they head into their Shop with blinders on! Thus they just aren't going to be open minded enough to say that Brand-X is really a better bow than what they have now!

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree with what you're saying! A bow will feel like a totally different animal when it's NOT properly set up to your draw length. This is why I think a person can get such dramatically different opinions on many bows. For example, the new Mahews rig... they ship the demo bows out at 29"70#, now anyone who goes to their Shop and shoots this bow certainly isn't going t get a accurate, comfortable feedback unless their drawlength happens to be 29". Just not an accurate way to judge a bow.

I also agree with you on the fact that it's getting harder and harder to find abad bow.... thats for sure! I think some folks that put down a lot of bows do so simply because they happen to be so brand loyal "fanboys" that they head into their Shop with blinders on! Thus they just aren't going to be open minded enough to say that Brand-X is really a better bow than what they have now!
Thanks for the excellent reply. thats exactly what I am thinking.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
i also think its preference but the cam has alot to do with it the cam i went to i thought was really nice comparred to what i was told to expect!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I personally don't put much stock in reviews by other people. Even someone I know very well. To start with we all haver personal preferences. They are all different. Plus, the subjective measurements we tend to use in bow reviews are quite pointless in my opinion. This is especially true of noise and hand shock. I haven't seen a bow made in 25 years that wasn't quiet enough out of the box to kill a deer. And hand shock is when you miss hit a 100 compression golf ball with a 1 iron on a cold February day. I've never shot any bow with any excessive vibration . . especially once appropriate hunting accessories are added.

Smooth is quite relative too. One guy's smooth is another guy's "ugh". Just read the "I need a smooth bow" threads. Every bow ever made under the sun is listed by someone as being smooth.

Then there is bow prejudice. There isn't one person here who doesn't have a preconceived notion going into a test of whether they'll like a bow or not. Mathews is a great example. Heck, the Z7 hadn't been released for 10 minutes and there were 20 threads on here about how horrible it was by people who only saw a picture. I used Mathews here because it is an easy example. The same applies to all companies. We ALL have our prejudices whether we believe it or not.

So I don't do reviews and I don't read reviews. My recommendation is go shoot as many bows as you feel like trying and buy the one you like the best. Anything else is a waste of time and money. It doesn't matter what others like. Personally, I don't have to have my purchase legitimized by everyone on AT or at the club.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
We are all individuals and like or prefer different things.
Dan
+1, I love my dren, but I shot the new BT destroyer 350, and loved it. I just cant figure out how to talk the wife into letting me buy a new bow!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
What I find entertaining is when somone asks my "opinion" on a bow, and then gets mad if I didn't like it. Don't ask if you don't want the answer.
Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts