Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations on bows with skinny grips similar to a Hoyt Gamemaster II? I have tried a few custom bows but always seem to shoot a thin grip better. Thanks

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sorry bud, I honestly can't say how the satori grip compares to the gamemaster II.Z It has been many years since I've seen the gamemaster II in person.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Dorado, buffalo and Tiburon would all be the same grip mount...so you could essentially put your gamemaster grip on any of those...the satori uses the same mounting size as the Hoyt target recurves...the grips are completely different...but Jager makes grips that you can sand them down to basically whatever shape you want...lots of people like the Jager 3.0. I don't like the cutout on the heel and prefer the Hoyt best low. But it is nothing like the gamemaster grip either...it does have a narrow throat but wider on the heel

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. The GMII was my first recurve and as I tumble down the rabbit hole of traditional archery I’m always looking for an improvement but every time I buy a new bow and get to shootin;eventually I end up picking up that ole GM.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
My first was a GM also...I loved the bow but it just wasn't forgiving... however when I was having a hard time with my target bows I could always pick up the gamemaster and straighten things out...does yours have the medium height grip or the low grip like the compounds...the last few years the gamemaster had the wood laminate low grip... however most people I know preferred the medium grip

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
What kind of bows are you looking for...wood risers? Or another metal riser? I really loved the grip on the toelke. It's narrow and kinda medium low height...I think that you would be able to get along with a toelke. Good luck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Glad to see I am not the only one who prefers skinny grips. I also like a lower grip. When I have issues I pick up my Bear Mag riser bow and my shooting improves. But this time of the year metal risers get hot to the touch.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Think of screw drivers and tightening a screw. You can put more torque on the screw with a thick handle. Bows are no different.

Bowmania

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,247 Posts
A classic of skinny grip bows are the old Quinn's. They have not been made for quite a few years now, and are probably pretty difficult to find.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I think that I would buy a Buffalo riser then go shopping for some Formula limbs to suit your desire. I've had six or seven of them and will own another some day. There is really no reason that a riser such at that couldn't last a man for a lifetime.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stick monkey I’m really just trying to figure out other manufacturers that make a riser grip just as skinny. The gm and similar Hoyt risers with skinny’s aren’t in production anymore. I’m not a fan of the ils risers been there done that. I’m still green in trad but I’m finding I prefer that low thin compound style grip on my trad bows.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bernardini Cobra or Mamba. There's a Cobra for sale in the classifieds... My Black Swan is also narrow but more medium. Could just remove most grips and wrap.

2020-01-20 08.08.59.jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
To me, those rectangular grips are uncomfortable as all get-out. There are lots of bows being made with smallish grips, but I question why you "think" there's something better than the GMII when you shoot it so well. Not really logical Jim. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
The rk1 is a decent bow, but the grip isn't as best as some say. It requires a low wrist grip, and when you've shot medium grips for a long time and shoot a low wrist, you loose over 1 1/2" in draw length. I shot the rk1 when Striker first came out with them and found them very uncomfortable to shoot.
I love small grips, and after shooting a small grip on my Bob Lee, it was hard to find a grip I liked.
My Elite Origin is almost round in the throat, which I like a lot. Feels very good to shoot.
My new Merlin Pathfinder has the smallest thinnest grip I've seen on an ILF riser, and its a joy to shoot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts