Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a steal on an RX-1 turbo a year ago and traded my Mathews for it. The draw cycle on the rx1 isn’t rough, it’s just not smooth and I’m planning to sell it and get something else. Any recommendations for bows with buttery smooth draws?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently picked up a Mattews VXR. It is absolutely NOT smooth, but it is very fast, which was more important to me. I shot some other new bows at the shop, I thought the elite Kure had a really smooth draw.

·
Registered
24,137 Posts
Elite is known for their smooth draw cycle. I have a pair of Obsession Phoenix XL's that I feel are smooth as well. Just sold a PSE Evoke 35SE....the draw was smooth but a bit stiff, yet had no drop into the valley. My OB's have a bit of a drop, but nothing like my prior Primes. I guess that is a key part of the discussion....if it comes back stiff but smooth with no dump or easy and smooth with some dump, which do you consider "smooth"?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I would highly recommend a PSE Evoke 35. I will say, I tested out a bowtech reckoning and that was extremely smooth as well. If you don't want brand new, I would check out a traverse as well!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
PSE Evolve cam. SE cam is a little stiffer draw than the EC but both feel good.
SR6 is quite nice in both comfort and performance
traverse
halon 32

in reality it's all personal preference. you could sit down and map out draw curves and someone is going to think differently based on things like a bias for or against a brand, strength, how they draw the bow, etc.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Traverse, and have a revoltx on the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Bowtech and Mathews have historically been the smoothest drawing but the new PSE flagships draw very nice as well. The VXR I tried was buttery smooth but not an easy draw. I distinguish between the two characteristics of the cam; a bow can have great bearings that are glassy smooth but a mechanical configuration of cams, cables, and string that just makes it hard to pull it over the hump. In my opinion, whatever Mathews did to the cross-centric cams to incorporate the switch weight system made the draw much stiffer. Maybe it was just the way it was set up for me...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Thanks for your input so far! I just shot a friends VXR, how does that compare to a Traverse?
Now this is my opinion, but the traverse is the best bow mathews has EVER MADE. They really nailed it on this bow and I believe the traverse is a smoother draw than a VXR. Not by much! But it is noticeable.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Revolt X is a very smooth drawing bow. SR6 isn't far behind and you get more speed. I hear the VXR is smooth but I'd let them figure out their string/cam issues before I'd buy one of those.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am a 30”-30.5” draw which can sometimes create some humps and dumps during the draw cycle. I own a Revolt X which is very smooth and easy to draw. I also owned a Obsession Evolution 7 and it had a great draw cycle. The PSE EVO NXT 33 is a nice Smooth draw. The only bow I found kinda rough from this years batch of bows the RX4. I have nothing against Hoyt and I’m sure I would adapt to the draw, but it wasn’t for me. I thought the VXR 31.5 was stiff, but smooth. I think the VXR peaks early in the draw cycle and maintains poundage longer than others. I could shoot a VXR though.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I believe many people confuse, misunderstand, or simply don’t have the experience to tell the difference between “smooth” and “easy”. Anyone else believe this to be true?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe many people confuse, misunderstand, or simply don’t have the experience to tell the difference between “smooth” and “easy”. Anyone else believe this to be true?
I'd have to agree with this. I have a Matthews HTR and a PSE Evolve 35 and there is no way I'd say the PSE is easy or smooth draw compared to the HTR. With that said, I prefer the Evolve and shoot it much better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts