Archery Talk Forum banner

Bowtech’s carbon bows

2392 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  skystalker
I started looking into more budget friendly bows (less than $700), and to my surprise, Bowtech’s and Diamond’s carbon riser bows were within that range. I’ve always overlooked the carbon bows since Hoyt’s release of carbon risers years ago and then PSE’s.

Is there any negatives, special precautions to take with them while working on them, or things to look out for?

The specs of the bow looks awesome now that I actually pondered at the Deploy SB and Zion/Icon. The only downside to all of this is finding a dealer who will have them. The few Bowtech dealers around here only stock one or two bows, or if they have some, they have the aluminum riser bows only.

I appreciate everyone’s time and thoughts on the bows

THIS MAY HAVE BEEN ASKED, BUT AT MOBILE ISN’T WORKING FOR ME TO DO SEARCHES, AND TAPATALK SEARCH IS TERRIBLE.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far BT Carbon bows have not been very popular. They don’t compare to Hoyt’s hi end carbon in my opinion. Maybe the new ones are better.
Do you mind going in a little more detail? I had a Carbon Defiant 34 that I got at a killer price ($799 new), and to be honest, I wasn’t blown the more I got out shooting it.

· Registered
2,110 Posts
The Bowtech/Diamond carbon riser is not a true carbon riser. It is a carbon/polymer blend, with more polymer in it than carbon. This is why these bows are $1000 less than they Hoyt carbon bows. These risers have had a tendency to warp in extreme heat. This riser has been used on the Diamond Deploy, and Carbon Knockout, as well as the Bowtech Carbon Knight, Eva Shockey Gen 1, Carbon Rose, Icon and now Zion. It's important to realize that the Zion is really just the Icon will new cams and cable guard.

· Read Only
243 Posts
The Bowtech/Diamond carbon riser is not a true carbon riser. It is a carbon/polymer blend, with more polymer in it than carbon. This is why these bows are $1000 less than they Hoyt carbon bows. These risers have had a tendency to warp in extreme heat. This riser has been used on the Diamond Deploy, and Carbon Knockout, as well as the Bowtech Carbon Knight, Eva Shockey Gen 1, Carbon Rose, Icon and now Zion. It's important to realize that the Zion is really just the Icon will new cams and cable guard.
They're a great back up bow, light and good performance, easy to throw in the gear bag, if you F up a string or cable etc.... I'd never have one as my main bow tho.

· Registered
645 Posts
These risers have had a tendency to warp in extreme heat.
I would beg to differ on your comment and ask that you provide data to back that statement up.
I shoot in some of the most extreme heat in the US and both my wifes Eva Shockey nor any of the Carbon risers I've owned or come in contact with at the ranges have ever been compromised, however I don't know it all and willing to learn from others if this is fact.

· Registered
2,110 Posts
I would beg to differ on your comment and ask that you provide data to back that statement up.
I shoot in some of the most extreme heat in the US and both my wifes Eva Shockey nor any of the Carbon risers I've owned or come in contact with at the ranges have ever been compromised, however I don't know it all and willing to learn from others if this is fact.

All of Bowtech/Diamond's carbon bows use the same riser and riser material. The new Zion has a slightly tweaked Icon riser to incorporate a new grip, but overall same riser and material.

I don't discount these being good bows, but these issues are still possible. And, I would say especially bows built this year as I have been seeing a lot of weird problems on new bows. I've been seeing posts with new Hoyt limbs splintering, and Mathews VXR limbs splintering. For a bit this year, Mathews had an issue with a run of cams with burrs that were cutting cables, as well as some cables failing where they connect to the cam. It's like there are material and quality control issues during all these lockdowns and such.

· Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the replies, I ended up going a different route. To my surprise, my local shop had the Icon, Zion and Deploy. That grip is a little too odd on all models for me to like and feel comfortable with. I didn’t even bother shooting them.

· Registered
645 Posts
Hey VeritasHunter,

so I read these posts and maybe 3 risers failures from what I can tell. Let’s say there are 10 failures, do you have any idea how many Bowtech Knight risers were manufactured, you already posted ALL the models that utilize this exact molding process. I’d say that’s a drop in the bucket for Bowtech and if all are replaced the customers are more than likely satisfied in the results, shop failures that were discussed are not the manufactures fault.

BTW.... I’ve personally never ever shot a single carbon bow that was worth $1000 over any other archery manufacture...JMO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.