Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've frequented your forums for quite some time and due to many of the reviews I've read on here, I purchased an Assassin in September. For the first few months I was very happy with the bow. Two doe taken and many many hours of happy shooting with 0 complaints(aside from the guide rod).

Fast forward to bear season here in PA, November 23rd. The night before we were in our cabin's basement taking some practice shots and getting hyped up for next day. About 15 shots in, I draw the bow, pull up on the foarm block and before I know what happens the bow "explodes" at full draw. Limbs seem fine, there is a nick in the cam, and the string is obviously broken. I look around at the other guys and everyone thinks that maybe the arrow wasn't 100% nocked. Obviously my hunt was ruined and instead of spending the next day in the woods, I took a 4 hour ride home to drop the bow off at the dealer. He asks if the bow was dry fired, and I tell him the story. He tells me Bowtech is "great" with returns, I should have the bow back in a week.

Last week I called the dealer to check status and the only information he tells me is that bowtech determined the bow was dry fired and I'm 100% responsible for the cost. I'm not a happy camper at this point. I call Bowtech to discuss and get a service tech who refuses to help without my RA number. I explained to him that the bow guy at my dealer was gone for the day, and that most likely my bow is the only bow sent from my dealer in their shop, maybe he can still help me. He refused. Today I call my dealer again to get my RA number, he tells me that the bow is in and ready to be picked up(convenient) I call bowtech with the RA number and ask for an explanation. I have spent a lot of money with Bowtech over the years so I'm hoping someone there can at least offer a decent explanation and maybe offer to split the bill(was this asking too much?)

The tech is flat out RUDE. He tells me the bow wasn't dry fired, the cam was torqued causing the string to be de-railed and the bow to break. I ask how this is possible and he tells me its actually really easy to torque a bow.( i still don't buy this.. I'm using a Scott Sabertooth release and after 1000's of shots with this and other bows, never had or heard of this being an issue) He tells me I should check my bow over before shooting it and not assume the bow will just run forever, "like you check things over on a car". This statement just flat out gets me fired up, since i'm anal with checking my bow before a hunt with my allen keys, I literally check everything to make sure all is tight.

Am i wrong in thinking that some kind of discount or help should have been offered from bowtech? This is my third of their bows and to be honest, up until this point I was 100% happy with them. This is however my first warranty experience and I'm left with a very sour taste in my mouth. I have a few buddies who I've converted to Bowtech, but after this experience and reading a few others complaints about them, I think Matthews is my next toy.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The situation sucks, the bent cam is usually indicative of a derail especially from torque. My wife derailed a diamond, I had to foot the bill for strings, 2 cams, axles, and 30$ labor. It sucked but it was her fault and I can't blame Bowtech for not warranting a problem she caused. I wasn't there so I can't say what did or didn't happen, and if I was 100% sure I didn't do any thing wrong I'd be upset as well. My dealer would fight for it to be warranted however with Bowtech if I was honest and appeared to be defective. Good luck, and I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
did you upgrade anything on the bow..?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Hard to know who is at fault. If you derailed it and dry fired it. Then it could be on you. If something happened as in a failure of the product that caused the derailment. Well then it maybe their fault.

I've seen two derailments and both were shooter who were over bowed with long DL's. Both were not the products fault.

Its hard to tell without being there or pictures.

Personally for me. If a person uses a product incorrectly and it fails... I believe its their financial responsibility. Remember that's a big "IF"

·
Socket Man
24,298 Posts
I don't know to many people who are frequent bowtech buyers who bought the assassin, that is a first time bowtech model for guys who have really never had a bow. Secondly I do business with the bowshop where I bought my bowtech guardian and when I exploded my guardian twice they took care of me, it has nothing to do with bowtech the companie. It has everything to do with the bowshop where you bought the bow, if they wanted to take care of you they would make the phone call and new parts would be on the way.

Sorry your bow exploded and sorry it is going to cost you money since your shop isn't stepping up to the plate for you but that is why finding a good shop is a big thing.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Do you shoot with a loop on the string or connect your release to the string under the arrow?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I don't know to many people who are frequent bowtech buyers who bought the assassin, that is a first time bowtech model for guys who have really never had a bow. Secondly I do business with the bowshop where I bought my bowtech guardian and when I exploded my guardian twice they took care of me, it has nothing to do with bowtech the companie. It has everything to do with the bowshop where you bought the bow, if they wanted to take care of you they would make the phone call and new parts would be on the way.

Sorry your bow exploded and sorry it is going to cost you money since your shop isn't stepping up to the plate for you but that is why finding a good shop is a big thing.

Interesting... So where is the line when it becomes the consumers fault?? I'm just curious???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard to know who is at fault. If you derailed it and dry fired it. Then it could be on you. If something happened as in a failure of the product that caused the derailment. Well then it maybe their fault.

I've seen two derailments and both were shooter who were over bowed with long DL's. Both were not the products fault.

Its hard to tell without being there or pictures.

Personally for me. If a person uses a product incorrectly and it fails... I believe its their financial responsibility. Remember that's a big "IF"
I thought initially I did something wrong, but the way the release is designed, the trigger is on a swivel so it seems unlikely that I could have torqued it that much to cause a derailment. But at this point it's a live and learn scenario I guess. I will never purchase from Bowtech again

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
We occasionally see derails with Bow Tech and Diamond bows (PSE Stingers too), usually when an archer is letting down and there is torque from the handle to the string loop (or when there is an admitted dry fire). Bow Tech has taken a harder line on bows that they deem "dry fired or torqued" and there is nothing the dealers can do, and are charged by Bow Tech regardless. Mathews is the same and requires the original owner's name to match the serial number for any warrantee work. It puts everyone in a hart place. My experience with Bow Tech has been good overall, but there's exceptions based on on it effects you personally. Sorry to hear something negative.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Interesting... So where is the line when it becomes the consumers fault?? I'm just curious???
I'm guessing dry fire and or changing the cable guide...i've noticed the Saunders HG changes the angle of the cables from stock. not much, but enough for Bowtech to null a warranty if you derail.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
A Saunders HG isn't going to cause someone to derail their Assassin. There has been at least a couple of cases where the string has broke at full draw with myself experiencing this personally. I was fortunate that just my string broke and it was at the end loop.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
A Saunders HG isn't going to cause someone to derail their Assassin. There has been at least a couple of cases where the string has broke at full draw with myself experiencing this personally. I was fortunate that just my string broke and it was at the end loop.
I never said the Saunders HG would derail the string, i said, adding one would be enough for BT to void a warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I loved this bow. I know it's towards the bottom of their line of bows, but I bought this thing to fill the freezer in the fall, now to compete in 3D. I will say that the bow treated me great before the problem. What I am disappointed with is the customer service the first time I tried using a warranty when I know it wasn't 100 user error.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
I never said the Saunders HG would derail the string, i said, adding one would be enough for BT to void a warranty.

I know what you said. Did bowtech tell you that it would void their warranty? I think most companies state somewhere you can't do anything to their bows. I know if I had a good dealer I wouldn't have a void warranty for something that didn't cause something happen.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts