Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been out of the compound scene for several years. Always liked a longer ATA bow....just curious what's the difference in the two bows. Can't find much on the net. Any pros and cons from those that have shot both ?

·
"Shock n Awe"
3,691 Posts
I really liked the boss when I tried it. Extremely smooth and quiet but never felt like I had to have it. When I shot the MAG, second shot I told my dealer to order me one. The mag has a little heavier feel on the draw but you would expect that with higher IBO speed. Its very smooth just a little different than the boss. The back wall feels like it has limb stops. At the shot the MAG just sits in my hand, zero jump and zero hand vibe.
The mag is considerably faster than the boss.
I am shooting at 29.5" 61# with a 400grain arrow at speeds around 290 on the #2 setting.
The mag is the first bow I have been impressed enough with since my 2012 cpxl to buy a new bow

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have a Boss and it is smooth. I actually shoot it in the #1 setting to get some speed. I'm a short draw @ 27". This bow is quite and dead on the shot. Cant' speak for the BT-mag? I believe they have the same cams? The IBO is faster on the BT-Mag as well.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
I have a Boss and it is smooth. I actually shoot it in the #1 setting to get some speed. I'm a short draw @ 27". This bow is quite and dead on the shot. Cant' speak for the BT-mag? I believe they have the same cams? The IBO is faster on the BT-Mag as well.
No, the cams are different. The BT Mag has the BTX cam with the 3 different draw settings and the micro sync dial.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the feedback!!

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,495 Posts
The big difference between the 2 bows is the grip. Both have the 3 position power shift. The riser are almost identical and react the same. With your draw length I would get the Mag over the Boss if you are looking for performance. There is no magic dust, you are going have to impart energy into the bow to get energy out, meaning the Boss would be easier to draw.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I will say the BT Mag-X is considerably slower than the Boss, and the IBO ratings make that clear. I was hoping they were wrong or at least closer.

I love the BT-Mag X grip however. The draw feels about the same considering the one I shot was 7# heavier poundage than my bow and 0.5” longer DL.

The speed speaks for itself though. I can’t justify switching bows. I would have to up my poundage at least 7# to stay where I’m at now. Forget that. I drive tacks at 100 yards and I’m sure the Mag X is even more accurate but it’s not worth adding 7# of draw weight to do it.

436 grain arrow at 277 fps with 60.5# and 30.5 DL (and 1/4” peep and d-loop) - Boss with speed setting (and my 466 grain hunting arrow 270 fps)

436 grain arrow at 289 fps at 67.5# and 31.0 (with d-loop and no peep) - BT Mag-X with speed setting

I measured both bows on the same scale at the shop to make sure it was apples to apples.

That puts the IBO rating of the BT-Mag X around 315 fps and my Boss at about 326 fps. My personal chrono is about 4 fps faster than the shop’s with the identical 466 grain arrow with my bow. So that would make a little more sense for both bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts