Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New, and new to me, I found a Bowtech Carbon Icon with 60# limbs maxed out to 62# for a killer deal on CL, and I am the proud new owner. The old owner bought it and figured out bow hunting wasn’t his jam, so I swooped in for the layup. Here’s what I think about it so far:

First, WOW, this thing is LIGHT. Very light. I have a 3.7lb Strother that I compare everything to, and this bow practically floats by comparison. I initially thought this would lead to a less accurate bow, but I was pleasantly surprised. I’ve been shooting it without a stabilizer, and although I haven’t made it a hair splitting target model, it holds on target very will and is decently accurate.

Fit and finish is acceptable for the price point, I have a Diamond Deadeye that’s a few years older than this model, and it’s pretty much the exact same quality as that. For a price point bow, the Carbon Icon is head, shoulders, and navel above every other price point bow ive ever shot (I read that retail was $699 for the RAK package, which this is). Additionally, it’s adjustable without a bow press, which is perfect, and it has the cam that swaps between Performance and Comfort with a flip of the Module. Pretty awesome technology for a bow just over $500 msrp.

Additionally, the bow came with a release, SKB case, quiver, GT 340 spine hunters, and stabilizer— all brand spanking new.

Does anyone else have experience with this model? I haven’t shot it much and have yet to tune or modify it, but I am impressed. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep an eye on the riser. They seem to be proned to warping.
^^^This. Not exactly a carbon riser, more of a carbon infused injection molded plastic. There have been quite a few reports of warped “carbon” Bowtechs.
Thank you both, this is something that I wasn’t aware of. I live in Florida, and our two seasons are hot and hotter, so I’ll have to be sure to keep an eye out for any warping or twisting.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Just be sure not to store it in the car trunk during either the hot or the hotter seasons.

Also, and I'm not sure if it was the Icon or another line of BowTech "carbons," although I think they actually all share the same riser, the Berger holes may not be in a perpendicular line to the string; I thought when the bow was level one hole was slightly higher than the other... Doesn't effect performance, just a "be aware" if you use the Bergers to set arrow height/alignment with the string.

Above all else... Enjoy the new toy.

Reactions: BigFish7

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just be sure not to store it in the car trunk during either the hot or the hotter seasons.

Also, and I'm not sure if it was the Icon or another line of BowTech "carbons," although I think they actually all share the same riser, the Berger holes may not be in a perpendicular line to the string; I thought when the bow was level one hole was slightly higher than the other... Doesn't effect performance, just a "be aware" if you use the Bergers to set arrow height/alignment with the string.

Above all else... Enjoy the new toy.
Thanks!! Yeah I haven’t really had time to mess with it yet, but that info about the Berger holes is very valuable to know. I plan on setting it up completely on Thursday or Friday, and my main reason for the purchase was the SKB case. I’ve been eyeing them for a while, as i need something to travel with, and the fact that I found one that was brand new and came with an additional bow for the collection was pretty much a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
As everyone has said, this is not a carbon riser bow. It is a carbon infused polymer, with polymer being the primary material. This is why it is so much lighter and less expensive than the other brands carbon bows. It is also the same riser used on the Diamond Deploy. Yes, these bows can be prone to riser warping, so keep an eye on that.

Personally of the price-point bows that Bowtech makes (both also use Diamond risers), I prefer the Convergence/Amplify over the Icon/Zion.The Convergence/Amplify platform uses an aluminum riser that is not that much heavier than the Icon/Zion. It also has the FlipDisc tech.

The Icon had an MSRP of $799 bare. The RAK kit added another $100. Same price as the current Zion and Diamond Deploy.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a Bowtech Carbon Knight (CK), have had it for about 6 years. No riser warp problems. It was also from the era of all the limb problems but I've had no issues with that either. No idea how many thousands of shots through it.
They are amazingly light feeling aren't they? I have a new Solution and it feels a ton heavier after being used to packing around my CK for several years.
Don't leave it in a hot rig and I think you'll have no issues.

My brother-in-law had a limb come apart on his Mathews a couple years ago. It is the first major failure I've ever seen in person in 30 years of owning and shooting bows. He very commonly left it in his pickup during hot summer days, day in and day out, so he could go shoot after work at the local range.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I will say that solid limb bows have a special feel I like and always keep one around. A really light solid limb bow that shoots has to be awesome. They have a slender feel and hold more like a traditional bow I think . I would not mind trying one myself sometime.

·
Registered
31 Posts
New, and new to me, I found a Bowtech Carbon Icon with 60# limbs maxed out to 62# for a killer deal on CL, and I am the proud new owner. The old owner bought it and figured out bow hunting wasn’t his jam, so I swooped in for the layup. Here’s what I think about it so far:

First, WOW, this thing is LIGHT. Very light. I have a 3.7lb Strother that I compare everything to, and this bow practically floats by comparison. I initially thought this would lead to a less accurate bow, but I was pleasantly surprised. I’ve been shooting it without a stabilizer, and although I haven’t made it a hair splitting target model, it holds on target very will and is decently accurate.

Fit and finish is acceptable for the price point, I have a Diamond Deadeye that’s a few years older than this model, and it’s pretty much the exact same quality as that. For a price point bow, the Carbon Icon is head, shoulders, and navel above every other price point bow ive ever shot (I read that retail was $699 for the RAK package, which this is). Additionally, it’s adjustable without a bow press, which is perfect, and it has the cam that swaps between Performance and Comfort with a flip of the Module. Pretty awesome technology for a bow just over $500 msrp.

Additionally, the bow came with a release, SKB case, quiver, GT 340 spine hunters, and stabilizer— all brand spanking new.

Does anyone else have experience with this model? I haven’t shot it much and have yet to tune or modify it, but I am impressed. Cheers!
Congrats on the bow! Don’t leave it in a car trunk like others said and don’t leave it in the sun for too long either. Also if you’re doing your own work make sure you don’t press it too hard. I work in a bow shop and we are a bowtech dealer and I have only worked here for 2 years but I’ve seen at least 4 of those bows that were warped. The other thing I’d do is invest in a drop away or limb driven of some sort. With the icons I’ve noticed to tune them you have to set the rest quite a bit the the left and the rest you have on there makes it hard to get a clean tune. Also a good stab with some weight will help a ton when u start shooting farther distances. Bbbbbuuutttt now you have a dang fast bow that’s not a hassle to carry around and once you get it tuned it’ll stay that way for a good while. Treat that bow good and I’m sure you’ll have no issues!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts