Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
<--- My first buck
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at how I converted my chrome Commander to a shoot through system (pictures attached).

Take that Martin Archery X-Cammers - only 2 cables, not 4. LOL

The key components are a second bottom cam mounted on top and a Dual-STS block mounted to create a dual cable slide.

Because top and bottom cams and modules on most Center-Trac BowTech cams are identical opposites, swapping a top cam for another bottom cam does not change the string or cable rotation distances or draw force curve.

Most if not all BowTech Center-Track cam equipped bows could be modified this way.

No more cam lean or limb lean.

Much less drag on the draw because the cables are not yanked to the side and dragging through a cable slide.

Center shot is dead center of the riser and horizontal nock travel is zero now.

First time out to a match with it I tied my personal best on a night that I thought I was shooting poorly.

It is a shooter.

I have seen no complications with it at all.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Brilliant :darkbeer:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I forget who but I just saw on here last night a guy on here is making the actual roller that is a shoot thru like that. Might wanna do some looking in the generals here other wise you might wanna be buying stock in strings here shortly

·
Registered
793 Posts
Where have you been?
The BT shoot thru was adjustable for width too.
Very true but "joe public" can't get their hands on these from Bowtech.....I think that there are only a few out there....great idea but I have know idea why they didn't actually offer it as an option. I was on their prostaff last year and wanted to order my Sentinel from the factory with the shoot through and was told I'd have to wait and then buy it as an add on at a later date....well the availailability at a later date never happened. Go figure...
TAP has made his own version and it works to perfection....

·
<--- My first buck
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While the Looney Tuner could likely be mounted above in the original cable rod hole, all the pictures I have seen show it mounted below in the string suppressor hole which I did not want.

Also, recommendations for the Looney Tuner indicate that you don't need to modify the bow but if you don't, your cables will still cross somewhere above. By using two identical cams rather than OE two identical opposite cams, your cables never need to cross.

Regarding cable wear on the rods, because the cables go straight up and down rather than crossing, there is practically no pressure on the sides of the two cable rods. In fact, they are almost floppy loose and after the first few hundred shots, they appear to be showing no signs of wear at all by contrast to the common wear and chafing going through a cable slide. I plan to keep it without any kind of slide.

The parts list includes:
  • A second bottom cam mounted on the top.
  • A rear mount Double STS for about $45 will provide you with everything else you need - I only bought the STS block for $12 because I already had bunches of cable rods in a wide variety. I recommend a Z-rod in the original rod hole and use the original straight rod put back in on the far side.

You can get the extra cams by doing this along with a buddy that has the same model bow. One can use both top cams and the other can use both bottom cams. I have two 2007 Commanders and they are currently sharing cams. Both work well but I slightly prefer the one with both bottom cams over the one with both top cams.

A set screw to remove the original cable rod is found under the small round Bowtech logo on the shelf side near the cable rod.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I forget who but I just saw on here last night a guy on here is making the actual roller that is a shoot thru like that. Might wanna do some looking in the generals here other wise you might wanna be buying stock in strings here shortly
TAPS makes one!!you can do a search!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
would this system work on a 07 tribute. Might seem like a stupid question. But i figured I would ask

·
Registered
414 Posts
What a great idea! NOT...can't wait until I have $500 to spend on a latemodel Bowtech so I can spend another couple hundred on cam/string etc. to make it right....The Bowtech center pivot bows are nasty...very inovative, however I gotta be an engineer to get them to shoot right? What a joke!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oh, by the way, you also can get a flexible Mathews cable guard copy that may or may not fail to fix the Bowtech geometry...What a joke! By the way, I couldn't wait to get a Destroyer until more than 10 of them were put into the general population......

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Archer Dude I am sorry...but I can't let this go!!

What a great idea! NOT...can't wait until I have $500 to spend on a latemodel Bowtech so I can spend another couple hundred on cam/string etc. to make it right....The Bowtech center pivot bows are nasty...very inovative, however I gotta be an engineer to get them to shoot right? What a joke!
Oh, by the way, you also can get a flexible Mathews cable guard copy that may or may not fail to fix the Bowtech geometry...What a joke! By the way, I couldn't wait to get a Destroyer until more than 10 of them were put into the general population......
Mengia....what is the point of coming on here the bash?? This site is for "archers helping archers" That means sharing ideas and discussing ideas. Also means helping others out with problems and making suggestions. Useful suggestions. There is NO need to come on a thread and needlessly BASH. You had no interest in this thread. We can all tell that so WHY come in and bash? Does it make you feel better by showing us all how much of an moron you are.

Really if you have no interest in a thread other then to make rude remarks.....DON'T F%&K'IN read it. It isn't hurting you. Let it go.

Once again Archer dude....And everyone else that is reading this thread for interest.....I am sorry but I needed to vent and this kind of stuff....

·
edthearcher
6,537 Posts
I think your talking about tony who owns the TAP program

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Archer Dude... looks great:thumbs_up

Any issues with timing? Does the cable length change at all?

I've been following the threads on the loony tuner, and Tap, and Vegas Steves shoot thrus... just thinking of giving this a try sometime on a DIY basis.
Thanks.

·
<--- My first buck
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More questions:

Would this system work on a 07 tribute?
  • If it has Center-Track cams where one cable comes off each side and the string is in the center, yes.
  • If it is the more traditional cam with both cables coming off one side and the string offset, no.
Any issues with timing?
  • First one needed a twist and a half to sync the cams when I put it back together and the second one needed none.
  • Draw stop timing is normal and at rest the cables lie equally distant from the attachment post as before so both cams start and stop essentially in the same positions as before.
  • Rest centershot moves slightly away from the riser closer to center of the grip.
  • Nock height remains very near straight and level to tune.
Does the cable length change at all?
  • Yes but it is so little it is unnoticeable probably about 1/16”.
  • It is certainly little enough that a couple additional twists would compensate.
Not previously mentioned is that both bows picked up 1fps faster after the conversion. I consider that insignificant and more likely a timing issue than the result of this conversion. Bottom line, speed does not change appreciably.

What does improve is the smoothness of the draw because the cables are not yanked far to the side and dragging through the narrow cable slide. Now it is nothing but string, cables, and cam bearings; very smooth.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Thanks Archer Dude... just the info I was looking for... got me a Sunday tinker project now :darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts