Archery Talk Forum banner

Bowtech decision

713 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  rbwapiti
Its time for a new bow. Ive pretty much decided on a Bowtech but have questions about which one. I know I know.......which ever one feels the best. But id just like some opinions from a few of you who have a substantial level of experience with these bows. Ive been very impressed with the General and the 82nd airborne but would also like to hear about any of their other products. Pros vs cons?

This will be strictly a hunting bow. Mostly tree stands but some stalking.

Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,546 Posts
I have owned the following Bowtech's looking for that specail one, I have a 27 inch draw, Equalizer ( fast as hell for 27 inches stiff drawing) Old Glory, Diamond Black Ice and Diamond Liberty and then I found the Guardian it is stupid quiet and the most accurate stable bow I have ever shot. It is still reasonable fast, pro's no bow press needed to change peeps, twist strings ect. No con's on this bow.

· Registered
5,442 Posts
Man after seeing the new line up I would wait.. I am really impressed with that Diamond Iceman.. I don't think you'll go wrong with the General or 82nd, but take a look at the new Bowtech and Diamond 2009 thread..

· Registered
4,453 Posts
You will probably get much better answers, if you tell us what you want to do with the bow. :)

For example, hunting from tree, spot and stalk, spots only , combo target and hunt, etc. :wink:

· Registered
4,453 Posts
Most folks tend to like a shorter AtoA bow for stand hunting, which would include the Tomkat or General. Both of these bows have over 8" brace heights for more forgivness too.

Allegiance and 82nd are speed bows and good shooters.

The Guardian and General are the quietist bows out there.

A used Tribute would be a great tree stand bow.

My advice is always to shoot them all until your arms are falling off and then , ask yourself which one you still want to shoot some more. :wink:

· Registered
1,109 Posts
I absolutely love the 82nd. I shot just about their whole line including a tribute which isn't made any more. I went with the 82nd. I can't wait to see a deer try to duck an arrow at 325 fps!

· Registered
711 Posts
I love my general. It has everything I like in a bow. Short ATA and big BH (Over 8"). With the fixed limb issue and the announcement of the 2009 line up there should be a lot of unsold generals setting on store shelves and the price will drop. If you want a general and can wait a little while you should be able to get way way under retail.

I will be watching to pick up another one at a great price.

· Registered
727 Posts
A great position to be in!

I love it when it's new bow time! You can't go wrong with a BowTech but there are a bunch of other folks out there that make nice bow's too.

Since you seem to have already decided to limit your choices to a BT, let me tell you what my experience has been.

I have owned a BowTech General, two Guardians, played with a 82nd and a 101 for a weekend. The two BowTechs that I currently own are a 07 Allegiance and a 07 Tribute. (I am a binary cam fan so I can't speak for the suitability of any of the Diamond line bows.)

If you are strictly hunting, ie shooting from a treestand, a blind or maybe doing a little stalking, a short ATA is really sort of a priority. This makes it fairly easy; a General or a Tribute.

The General has gotten a bit of bad publicity lately with some limbs coming apart but for the most part, these are far and few between. I sold my General because for me, it was just too heavy and too slow compared to my Tribute. Is the General quieter than my Tribute--just by a froghair. Is the General more shockfree than my Tribute--I don't know because I don't feel any shock with either of them.

The Tribute is a short Allegiance. It is easy to shoot well right out of the box. A forgiving brace height and a time proven design make it feel like a long lost friend the minute you put it in your hand.

Yeah, I know that BT is not making them for 08 and probably 09 but I think you'll see a resurrection of the Tribute or a new improved model of it coming from BT in the next several seasons. In the meantime, the number of used Tributes you see coming up for sale is getting smaller and smaller as people realize that they won't be able to replace it with anything better.

Just my .02!

· Registered
47 Posts
Definitely, the 82nd Airborne. It is fast and accurate. I have used mine in a ground blind, from a tree stand, and still hunted elk in New Mexico. You won't be sorry.:darkbeer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.