Archery Talk Forum banner

Bowtech Destoyer 350 vs Darton pro 3800

3664 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  miketheshooter
As you may all know bowtech spends alot on advertizing and post tons of videos online and on youtube about there bow and breaking down every little piece of it and explaining it to us the consumer. I own the bowtech destroyer 350 and really like it alot. It has many innovations and is a fast quiet bow. I had recently had a chance to shoot the darton3800 and thought it was a great shooting bow super quiet and not any hand shock and just a couple fps faster the draw cycle was for me one of the greats for me smooth without the big hump to get over. After shooting this d3800 i went home and tryed to research it online but as most may know theres not a whole lot about them online and not many videos at all the most info was on here AT web site but most was just boasting about them and there was no real facts the tech at the store were i shot this bow said it was the top of there line bow and held many patents for thing that the other bow companys use but i could find nothing on this either so im asking all you what you might know facts please about these darton bow and would love to hear from the bow technicains that sell both these bows and set them both up what your thoughts are fit and finish between these two bows more on the Darton 3800 then the destroyer 350? thanks for the help.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
645 Posts
I have had a BT Allegiance, Tribute, Equalizer,& 82nd. Now have a a Darton DS 3800 and the fit a finish is on par or better than BT. I hated the invelvit finish on Bt bows it kept coming off.

· Registered
619 Posts
I used to shoot bowtech before i got into shooting competitive recurves...now that an eye injury has forced me back into a set of wheels I was certain I would end up with another bowtech as I shoot with lots of bowtech shooters and I really liked the destroyer.....However after researching everything I could find on here I bought a DS 3800 and couldn't be happier faster than ibo ([email protected]#), smooth and the fit and finish are nice... I wouldn't say hoyt type, but definatley on par with many.

I bought this bow for a hunting and 3-d bow and couldn't be happier with the way it turned out....now I just ned to shoot something with the dang thing.

Jordan

· Registered
2,864 Posts
I have shot both bows numerous times and went with the Darton. I prefer the camo finished Dartons. Their dip is as good as any bow on the market. I have been to both Bowtech's plant and Darton's and seen the processes. I attended Bowtech's Archery University and built my own bow there. I still like the Darton way better. It has the smoother draw by far. In cold weather you will really appreciate that! Plus the speed of the Darton is faster.

· Archery Addict
3,699 Posts
I know you called my shop and asked. I will reiterate my thoughts here for anyone else trying to decide between these 2 bows. I sell both and have owned 2 3800's, a 2010 and a 2011.

Fit-n-Finish: This happens to be a flaw industy wide in my opinion with the exception of Elite. The Darton can have finish issues. I have had some come through my shop that look awesome and some just ok. I will say it is better this year then it was last. Bowtech is not much better. The blackops from bowtech is outstanding and darn near flawless. Thier camo patterns leave alot to be desired though. You can see seams where the film meets (sometimes)and there can be pin pricks of misssing camo (sometimes). Last year bowtech did alot better with thier camo.

Shooting: The Darton is smooth and is very shootable, it is one of my favorite bows. It holds well. On the 2011 DS 3800 you will have to adjust to the cables being in your sight picture because of thier new torque reduction rod. This is an issue with the bow tech FLX guard as well. After several shots this becomes a non issue and easily ignored. The Destroyer is definately a stiffer pull and has more of a hump.

If I was going to purchase a new bow for my self and these were my 2 choices, I would pick the 3800 hands down. If I already owned the Destroyer like you do. I would wait until I saw what was released this year before I bought. There just is not enough difference between the 2 bows to justify selling your Destroyer for the 3800. If you was standing in my shop with cash in your hand, I would tell you the same thing. Maybe this is why I never will be rich, I am to darn honest. If you were hell bent on buying a bow, I would have zero quams about taking your money. So, if you want to purchase a 3800 feel free to call me back.:wink:

· Registered
2,864 Posts
I shoot a lot of tournaments and my joints have way fewer issues with the Darton's smoother draw. I do not get sore with the 3800, I did with the Destroyer.
I also am able to get a few feet per second (5) more speed out of the Darton.
Any last thought on this from anyone would be greatly appriciated from all! and a big thanks to Robert and everyone else for the help and addvise.
I am the type of guy that would try every popular bow out there if I could, so i have owned a lot of bows in the past 2 years. The one I would buy again in a second is the destroyer 350. I sold it and got an elite judge......judge really didn't compare....went to a long ATA athens exceed that i shoot now....REALLY doesn't compare. I have never shot a 3800 but you already have the d350 I would really keep it, you will regret not. The 3800 could possibly be equal but i cannot believe for a second it can be better....not sure how a bow could really be better IMO, than the d350.

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,602 Posts
I have been shooting a DS-3800 since spring. I really know nothing about the 350. I've had a bunch of Martins and Ryteras as well as played with many others the last few years. I have a short 26" draw and the DS-3800 puts up excellent numbers with a short draw and the draw cycle is "smoother" than any "speed" bow I've put my hands on. The DS-3800's draw cycle feels more like the draw cycle of a target bow more than it does a jacked up speed bow. Of course the "feel" of a draw cycle is by definition subjective but everyone that has shot my bow comments that the draw cycle is better than any speed bow they've shot. I definitely wouldn't rate the appearance of the DS-3800 as high as many if not most of the new model bows. I would say it's "coolness" factor is fairly low. I'm more about performance than appearance. For example, I know I've never worn a set of matching camo hunting.

Darton Archery does have many "break through" patents. Research Rex Darlington. The hybrid cam system is generally if not literally considered a Darton design. I really think the cam system on the 3800 is the best at reducing cam lean. My biggest problem with Darton Archery is that there isn't a dealer within a 100 miles of me.

· Registered
5,343 Posts
have shot both,
draw cycle- i would saw about equal, but to me the darton does not have the slight hump that the d350/340 has.
fit and finish, about equal.
grip, think i like the darton grip better, but if you take the grip off the d350, it is way better, than the stock feel, to i will say a tie with that modification.
speed, ihave not shot one though the chrono, but every report that i have read it is as fast or faster than the ibo specs.
on the one i play with the dl was 1/4long on both the ds3800 and my d340.
to me the 3800 balances better than the old 3000 series, but i like the feel of my 340 better.

but other than the new cam and mach one limbs, the riser is still a version of the of the old champion scorpions riser.( not that that was a bad thing)

· Registered
2,864 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way. I like their appearance! 'Style', whether it is the hip hop look of clothing or the design of the 2002 Ford Thunderbird is deemed successful and apealing largely based on media exposure. My taste has always leaned on the simpler more conservative look.
I have been shooting a DS-3800 since spring. I really know nothing about the 350. I've had a bunch of Martins and Ryteras as well as played with many others the last few years. I have a short 26" draw and the DS-3800 puts up excellent numbers with a short draw and the draw cycle is "smoother" than any "speed" bow I've put my hands on. The DS-3800's draw cycle feels more like the draw cycle of a target bow more than it does a jacked up speed bow. Of course the "feel" of a draw cycle is by definition subjective but everyone that has shot my bow comments that the draw cycle is better than any speed bow they've shot. I definitely wouldn't rate the appearance of the DS-3800 as high as many if not most of the new model bows. I would say it's "coolness" factor is fairly low. I'm more about performance than appearance. For example, I know I've never worn a set of matching camo hunting.

Darton Archery does have many "break through" patents. Research Rex Darlington. The hybrid cam system is generally if not literally considered a Darton design. I really think the cam system on the 3800 is the best at reducing cam lean. My biggest problem with Darton Archery is that there isn't a dealer within a 100 miles of me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.