Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Totally bummed. Bought new in 2018 from a dealer thru AT. Learned a lot about bow tuning this year and really got her dialed in...bullet holes in paper. Built some nice arrows...field points, bareshafts and broadheads all grouping together. Went out to shoot a bit this afternoon and my eye caught something odd. Pulled the bow closer and yes, cracked limb pocked. So sad. Got some spots all scouted and am ready to go for the season, but not anymore.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I'm going to call Bowtech tomorrow to see how quickly I can get one shipped out to me. Hopefully it won't affect my setup at all or, if it does, minimally. I've never had it shooting so good.

I'm lucky I saw this and didn't have the bow blow up in my face. Could have been catastrophic.

Guitar accessory Sleeve String instrument accessory Camouflage Waist

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently they are carbon. Not 100% sure but they are not metal. I remember reading posts about people fearing their lack of strength, which were all dismissed. I guess there was some validity to this.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Damn, that sucks.... Right now of all times. Hopefully you can get this all sorted out before the rut.
You tuned it once, you sure as hell can do it again.
Good luck

Reactions: leoncrandall74

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
That's a very odd crack. The limb should be immobilized both ahead of and behind the defect, so at full draw I wouldn't expect much pressure at the site of the crack. Also, the crack is bowed in, not out. At full draw the limb pocket should tip inward at the top putting an outward pressure on the cracked area. That should bow that section out. I'm no engineer, but I would guess the crack is caused by some factor relating to limb recoil after the shot. That might explain why the crack bows inwardly and not outward. That's just my dumb guess, but a dumb guess is better than no guess.

Automan

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That's a very odd crack. The limb should be immobilized both ahead of and behind the defect, so at full draw I wouldn't expect much pressure at the site of the crack. Also, the crack is bowed in, not out. At full draw the limb pocket should tip inward at the top putting an outward pressure on the cracked area. That should bow that section out. I'm no engineer, but I would guess the crack is caused by some factor relating to limb recoil after the shot. That might explain why the crack bows inwardly and not outward. That's just my dumb guess, but a dumb guess is better than no guess.

Automan
Or, it got dropped and had an impact on the side you can't see. Maybe not.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
No doubt a drop could produce a crack like that, but if so I'd expect to see damage on the limb. I'm assuming the limb is OK. I haven't seen a pic though.

Automan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Totally bummed. Bought new in 2018 from a dealer thru AT. Learned a lot about bow tuning this year and really got her dialed in...bullet holes in paper. Built some nice arrows...field points, bareshafts and broadheads all grouping together. Went out to shoot a bit this afternoon and my eye caught something odd. Pulled the bow closer and yes, cracked limb pocked. So sad. Got some spots all scouted and am ready to go for the season, but not anymore.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I'm going to call Bowtech tomorrow to see how quickly I can get one shipped out to me. Hopefully it won't affect my setup at all or, if it does, minimally. I've never had it shooting so good.

I'm lucky I saw this and didn't have the bow blow up in my face. Could have been catastrophic.

View attachment 7481604
I’ve never seen that before

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Possibly from cranking on the limb bolts without loosening the pocket locking bolts? Maybe not. Just spit balling,
Looking at the owners manual, it says nothing about having to loosen the pocket locking bolts when adjusting draw weight. It only says don’t back the limb bolts past the pocket locking bolts when decreasing draw weight.

Also, I only added like 1/4 turn to bottom them out. But if you are supposed to loosen that screw, why wouldn’t the manual say so?

·
Mark
6,041 Posts
Looking at the owners manual, it says nothing about having to loosen the pocket locking bolts when adjusting draw weight. It only says don’t back the limb bolts past the pocket locking bolts when decreasing draw weight.

Also, I only added like 1/4 turn to bottom them out. But if you are supposed to loosen that screw, why wouldn’t the manual say so?
I totally agree the manual should say loosen bolt before adjusting limb bolt but it doesn’t. I also have RealmX and RevoltX and BOTH do require loosing one bolt first, see RevoltX manual on Bowtech website. I doubt BT will mail you the part but worth trying, they generally have you go thru dealer from what I’ve read. Best of luck

Reactions: BrazBowNinja

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I totally agree the manual should say loosen bolt before adjusting limb bolt but it doesn’t. I also have RealmX and RevoltX and BOTH do require loosing one bolt first, see RevoltX manual on Bowtech website. I doubt BT will mail you the part but worth trying, they generally have you go thru dealer from what I’ve read. Best of luck
Well that’s some BS right there. Why the eff isn’t it in the manual??

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had to go out and check my Realm X after reading this thread. Whew....no problems that I could see.
When I adjusted the DW during set-up, I did loosen the pocket lock screws first, even though it's not mentioned in the manual.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Is that plastic?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It is comical, how people use the word plastic, like it is the same material that happy meal toys are made from.
It is a composite, which is used in automobiles, airplanes, and many, many other applications.
Can it fail, sure but, so can any other material.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Those manuals arent always full of information. Thats why I always ask about simple things that seem like a no brainer when I purchase a new bow. Hope they get you fixed up so your season isnt ruined.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much are you suppose to loosen them? I checked the one on the cracked pocket and it still had about 1/2 a turn before it was snug. And again, I can’t see how only tightening the limb bolt about 1/4 - 1/2 a turn further would cause it to crack like that, even if the lock was tight.

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X
336 Posts
How much are you suppose to loosen them? I checked the one on the cracked pocket and it still had about 1/2 a turn before it was snug. And again, I can’t see how only tightening the limb bolt about 1/4 - 1/2 a turn further would cause it to crack like that, even if the lock was tight.
Those bolts are meant to lock your riser to the limb pockets, ultimately for sustained accuracy. I really like that feature, when a bow is not bottomed out on the limb bolts, you can still snug up those 'dead lock' side bolts and your limb pocket is 'locked' to the riser as if the limb bolts were maxed out.. They just have to be barely loosened to allow the limb pocket to pivot when you adjust the limb bolt for draw weight adjustments... Is this bow new to you?.. someone likely made a significant draw weight adjustment (several turns) with those side 'dead lock' bolts snugged up tight... I could see that causing the limb pocket to crack like that... Get a new one ordered asap and move on... lesson learned (whether you or previous bow owner). btw, first one i've ever seen cracked or broken like that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts