Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just shoot it!!!
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the factory wooden grip on a Bowtech without destroying it?

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I dont know if you can. Everone I have seen had to be destroyed. The heat gun idea sounds interesting though.

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,490 Posts
If you save the grip you uaually end up destroying the finish on the bow.

My advice, wood chissel and hammer. Split it rite down the middle. Buy a new grip.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I tried to remove mine without destroying it to no avail. :cry: In the end it met it's faith with a flat tip screwdriver and mr. hammer ! :eek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
bowjunkie2 said:
I tried to remove mine without destroying it to no avail. :cry: In the end it met it's faith with a flat tip screwdriver and mr. hammer ! :eek:

I've been thinking of taking my grip off my Liberty, what did you replace it with and how did you choose what you did? I've felt what just the riser feels like and wasn't too impressed.

would like to hear about it...

thanks

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I just removed a Liberty grip with a hair dryer! Take 10-15 min!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I took a small tack hammer along with a very small screw driver and I split it right down the Middle of the grip. Dont worry about destroying it because apparrantly your not happy with it to begin with.

What i did once i split the grip and got it off the bow was to take it and make a 2 piece or split grip like the HOyts used to have before they went to the 1 piece grip this year. I took the 2 Pieces and I went to Whittling and carving on it Until I had 2 Very nice fitting and good looking grip parts.

Then I went to shopping around And looked for a small piece of leather but ran into a roadblock there. Couldnt find anything Quite like what i was looking for. Either everything was way too thick for what i was looking for.

So i went to Wal-MArt and bought a leather Wallet and Cut out my own piece of leather from that to sandwich Between the grips around the Riser..

With some work and some Craftsmanship this grip is awesome and I have totally eliminated the problem i had with constant hand position on the original grip. So Now i shoot off the riser LIke the Hoyts did last year..

This has really helped me out a ton. Broadheads fly out to 40 yards now where they wouldnt until i went to my home grown grip...

P.S. I used some 3m Spray Adhesive to glue the leather to the riser and then to glue the grips over the leather.. This grip is awesome.

Wish i knew how to post a pic here ... I would show it off for ya to think about...

·
Just shoot it!!!
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Da Bowtech Kid' said:
I took a small tack hammer along with a very small screw driver and I split it right down the Middle of the grip. Dont worry about destroying it because apparrantly your not happy with it to begin with.

What i did once i split the grip and got it off the bow was to take it and make a 2 piece or split grip like the HOyts used to have before they went to the 1 piece grip this year. I took the 2 Pieces and I went to Whittling and carving on it Until I had 2 Very nice fitting and good looking grip parts.

Then I went to shopping around And looked for a small piece of leather but ran into a roadblock there. Couldnt find anything Quite like what i was looking for. Either everything was way too thick for what i was looking for.

So i went to Wal-MArt and bought a leather Wallet and Cut out my own piece of leather from that to sandwich Between the grips around the Riser..

With some work and some Craftsmanship this grip is awesome and I have totally eliminated the problem i had with constant hand position on the original grip. So Now i shoot off the riser LIke the Hoyts did last year..

This has really helped me out a ton. Broadheads fly out to 40 yards now where they wouldnt until i went to my home grown grip...

P.S. I used some 3m Spray Adhesive to glue the leather to the riser and then to glue the grips over the leather.. This grip is awesome.

Wish i knew how to post a pic here ... I would show it off for ya to think about...
Sounds like a plan!...............:wink:

Thanks to all who answered!..:thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
called Scott at Johnson Grips and told him exactly what I was looking for in a grip and he custom made it for me.I now have a grip that allows for a much more consistant release.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts