Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Yippiee ki-yay
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is buying a Sniper as his first bow. He has never shot before but wants to practice and get ready to hunt this fall. Anyone have any pro/con evaluations on this bow? Seems like a good first bow choice.

·
Registered
341 Posts
yup!

I bought this as my first bow that was new and fitted correctly to me after 20 yrs of used bow that were a pain to shoot, Mainly cause of my DL, My Pro shop said this is a great first timer bow that is a upgraded, new name bow of the little Sleeper bow the "TomKat" that was around for a few years and got really great reviews from Pros that put it up against some of the FlagShip $800-$1,000 Bows that come Bare Boned with no accessories on them, He said you can little by little change thing on and off the bow when you find what works for you down the road without killing your bank card all at once, that's what I did..And love this little bow, My pro Hunter said if you take every thing off the bow and put all different Dohickys on the base bow you are working with is not a cheap toy bow that nobody should turn up there nose at...Not at all...It's a killer of a bow with all the high end cams and lims just like the Big boys...I upgrade the rest and the peep site, as you can see..

let me know anythig else..

·
Registered
398 Posts
I agree 100% with PLINKING.40, I did the same thing. My first new bow last year. Same binary cams, easy change draw length, in velvet coating. You will want to upgrade the sights and arrow rest, as the package ones leave a little to be desired, but they got me up and running and a buck last year. I ended up putting on a NAP sizzor rest, G5 hunter peep(must do !), HHA adjustable single pin sight, Octane stabalizer, fuse string stop. The reason to change the stock tube peep is low light vision. I had to draw down on a nice 8pt at dusk because I couldn't see a damn thing! FWIT's worth, I highly recomend the HHA sight. I was worried about sighting it in at 60 yards because with the one that came with it, I was all over the place at 40. Now with the HHA, I can group 6"-7" at 60 yards, and thats including the flyers; I've had some stacked. Now 60 yards is what I mostly practice at, I can drill darts at 30 now which I used to think was far. I don't plan on shooting a deer that far, but it's done a lot for my shooting confidence.

Stay thirsty my friend :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I shot this bow last week at our local shop. Seems like a very nice bow ( it was just a demo. it was not set up for me). This is the replacement for the Tomkat, which is a awsome bow. I think he will like it alot, I know I would love to have one!

People don't give these "less expensive" bows enought credit. It's fast, smooth and quiet.....that's good enough for me!

G

·
i drew the bow back in my local bowtech shop. feels like dragging through sand. very rough draw. for a couple hundred extra dollars he could get a nice bow. dont let him do it

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hello i have to say the sniper is a good first bow! i own one and i love it!..the only con i have to say about it is its not super super fast but thats to be expected other than that i love mine!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sniper vs. Air Raid

Shot one today, and other than the arrow hitting the target, I didn't realize that I had fired it. NO shock, NO vibration, and NO noise. The bow didn't even move in my hand and I was loose gripped. I love it, but I'm a wheeler and a dealer and didn't want to commit today. I will probably buy it on Tuesday!!!! My question is about Kinetic Energy, it checks in in the 70's while the Air Raid is at 90+. What does this mean?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think it means the Air Raid is faster, lol but unless you are going to hunt very large game, or plan on long range shooting, it shouldn't matter. I don't know if any well hit deer would know the difference.

I knew my Sniper wasn't the fastest shooting bow, but for my first new one, I didn't want a short brace hight bow. I upgraded some components and will use them when I'm ready for a new one, but that won't be any time soon, this one fits my needs now.

Stay thirsty my friend :darkbeer:

·
Yippiee ki-yay
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all who replied, I know the accessories are not the best but he is changing the rest to a QAD fallaway and like said before others can be changed one at a time when the wallet permits. It was quiet and like most Bowtech bows very little shock or vibration. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
287 Posts
I really like mine. Change out the sight first thing, you can worry about everything else later. It seems to be a very accurate bow. I can tear up a 1" dot out to 30 yards and be just outside of it at 40 yards. I'm shooting it maxed out 62# (backed off 1/4 turn) and a 27" draw with Maxima Hunters at 27". I haven't shot a lot of bows but of those that I have shot it was the quietest and smoothest except for the Destroyer 340.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went and looked at one last week. Really good Bow for the money(My shop had it set up with a Tru glo 3 pin and I forget what kind of fall away rest and quiver for $479.99), no shock or vibration. Overall a great Bow.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i drew the bow back in my local bowtech shop. feels like dragging through sand. very rough draw. for a couple hundred extra dollars he could get a nice bow. dont let him do it
My cousin has the bow. The draw cycle is extreemly smooth. Something must have been wrong with the one you drew. I was at his house and drew it back less than 4 hours ago. Great bow and his is pretty fast....62# 30' draw.

Highly recomend it

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have to agree with grfox. I've tried 7 different bows in the price range. I was stuck on getting a Hoty Turbohawk, but when I pulled the sniper back, it was smooth, and SUPER quiet. The hoty sounded like a hammer on conrete compared to the sniper. That said, Hoty makes a great bow, but I'm going to go with the Sniper... picking it up on Wednesday. I'm new to archery, so, I guess my input may not have much, but I tested a lot out, and the sniper is the best choice, in this price range.

:darkbeer: -- It's hot today... beer :30 is approaching...

·
Registered
341 Posts
One thing though, get your Pro shop to check the D loop out, Mine Let go on me at the shop about 10 shots in, I Drew blood Shooting my new bow, Bad part It was my own not a deers....Ouch..Fat lip...If it feels loose get them to tie a new one on...Congrats on your New Sniper...Good shooting..:darkbeer:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Got mine about a year ago and love it. I don't have any of the original accessories on it and added a string stop. My sniper was quiet before, now its nearly silent! For me its a great shooting bow, and its plenty fast for what I do with it. I would say one of the best things your friend can do is make sure he is buying from a reputable shop that has the bow set up for him correctly. Good luck! I don't think he will regret his decision!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yup, I upgraded Mine too, I will be getting a string stop also, My new Stab should be here in a day or so, What string stop did you go with..?

Gary.

·
"Pain is Temporary"
654 Posts
I just put the vibra check string stop on mine today. I kept the Octane Rest, got a five pin Tru Glo sight, Limbsaver stabilizer and pulling 65lbs. Not to hijack the thread what spine arrows do you shoot maybe moving to 70lbs?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts