Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I installed new set of strings on a Bowtech invasion for a friend of mine. I have done some bow tuning but am by no means a professional. The were made with Bloodline VEC 99 which I’ve never used and everything went fine. I gave the bow back to him a few days ago and he put probably 50 arrows through it without incident. Then, last night while I’m driving I get a text with the attached picture. I called him right away because I want to know what happened. He said he was drawing back when his release (back tension) went off about half to three quarters of the way through the draw cycle. Arrow went flying of course but then the string came off the cam and is all chewed up now. I’m not sure why the bow would’ve done this especially after shooting well up to that point.

Has anyone else experienced this or know the symptom as to why it happens? I tested everything I possible could before handing the bow back. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Its not a dry fire with an arrow on the string.
I would say while in draw, bow string was torxed and upon release in mid draw, derailed the string.

OP stated his release went off during mid draw.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
^This. I don’t know where guys are getting dry fire...an arrow was nocked and fired from the bow, it just didn’t make it to full draw. I would say he’s in the habit of drawing the bow off to the side with the hinge to avoid punching himself in the face. When the release misfired for whatever reason, the string derailed because he hadn’t gotten to full draw and anchor to line everything up straight.

·
Registered
183 Posts
^This. I don’t know where guys are getting dry fire...an arrow was nocked and fired from the bow, it just didn’t make it to full draw. I would say he’s in the habit of drawing the bow off to the side with the hinge to avoid punching himself in the face. When the release misfired for whatever reason, the string derailed because he hadn’t gotten to full draw and anchor to line everything up straight.
Agreed........I know he had an arrow nocked, and I didn't mean the literal definition of dry fire. More like what Dale called it, a "partial dry fire" Either way, it was user error.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Torqued the bow during the draw cycle. Bow needs to be gone over as if it were dry fired.

·
Registered
20,758 Posts
Your buddy torques the bow while drawing it and when the release fired unexpectedly, the string rolled off the cam. Is he a guy that will draw with a death grip and then adjust his grip at full draw (also a bad thing to do)?

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
But, if the string derailed during the draw, would the arrow launch or would the string just go slack? I would think that if the arrow launched, the string must have come off after the shot

·
Registered
20,758 Posts
But, if the string derailed during the draw, would the arrow launch or would the string just go slack? I would think that if the arrow launched, the string must have come off after the shot
Even if it derailed on the way back, the string goes tight when the release lets go and it's derailed so the arrow would launch forwards.

Reactions: archeryfanatic1

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
9,610 Posts
Since I see a similar thing in the shop almost weekly.... Well I hate to say it every single time someone dry fires there bow I hear this same exact thing. I don't know what happened, I shot and the bow and it exploded or I shot and the arrow went 2 feet and this happened. It is possible he derailed it but I don't believe the bow went off and derailed in that order. If anything he was drawing it back and derailed it and it caused the release to go off.... JMO - Either way no fault of yours. And hopefully nothing happened.

1 of 50 dry fires actually admits it... Whether this was that or not I can't say but I just can tell you people never want to tell the truth of what happened to avoid paying for whatever happened/happens.

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
9,610 Posts
Not everyone is in a position or location to have a shop work on there bows for lots of reasons. Both shops here do ok work so even "professionals" and I use that term loosely. Don't worry about who works on who's bows its his bow and sometimes local random individuals out do majority of shops trying to get you in and out as fast as possible. And besides this is how I learned, got tired of sub par work so I started doing my own...

·
Banned
61 Posts
Not everyone is in a position or location to have a shop work on there bows for lots of reasons. Both shops here do ok work so even "professionals" and I use that term loosely. Don't worry about who works on who's bows its his bow and sometimes local random individuals out do majority of shops trying to get you in and out as fast as possible. And besides this is how I learned, got tired of sub par work so I started doing my own...

So now your doing what you were tired of having done to you.....subpar work for other people.
He could have DIED
LIKE DEAD
COLD
WIDOW WIFE
KIDS NO DADDY

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
9,610 Posts
So now your doing what you were tired of having done to you.....subpar work for other people.
He could have DIED
LIKE DEAD
COLD
WIDOW WIFE
KIDS NO DADDY
How do you know what kind of work was done? Did you see the bow? Nobody is dying from a dry fire, injury possibly but no one is dying.

You telling me everything you do to your house or car you are professional trained on? Oil change, electrical outlet take a part a washer or dyer replace bulbs with wrong wattage? Everyone does things they are not trained on or professional at. You clean your own gun? Take the bolt out? You a gunsmith?

·
Banned
61 Posts
How do you know what kind of work was done? Did you see the bow? Nobody is dying from a dry fire, injury possibly but no one is dying.

You telling me everything you do to your house or car you are professional trained on? Oil change, electrical outlet take a part a washer or dyer replace bulbs with wrong wattage? Everyone does things they are not trained on or professional at. You clean your own gun? Take the bolt out? You a gunsmith?

2 year degree at ivy tech for automotive
Did a 3 year apprenticeship for electronic technology
Worked at wolf gunshop for 4 years under the leadership of John King, a gunsmith.
And I definitely can replace a light bulb correctly.
So yea I practice what I preach.
AND HE COULD HAVE DIED
POOR FELLA

·
Registered
587 Posts
2 year degree at ivy tech for automotive
Did a 3 year apprenticeship for electronic technology
Worked at wolf gunshop for 4 years under the leadership of John King, a gunsmith.
And I definitely can replace a light bulb correctly.
So yea I practice what I preach.
AND HE COULD HAVE DIED
POOR FELLA
You realize, having an education doesn't make you smart. And neither does looking down your nose at someone else.
Please stop being so mellow dramatic about this situation.

There has never been anyone killed by a bow derailing a string. The derailing was not caused by subpar work, subpar work would resulted in a more catastrophic failure IMHO. .

And do not start on me, your credentials are not that impressive and I will smoke you. Been there done that and I got a number to prove it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,331 Posts
Now we have to get Moderator involved.
See you not only put your friends life in DIRE DANGER.

BUT YOU JUST THREATENED MY LIFE OVER THE INTERNET.
THATS A CRIME.
I just reported this mess to a moderator so you are now a prophet.....but I doubt they will find anywhere your life was threatened??? Just where do you get your "facts" that a dry fire is likely to be a fatal occurence? I had a custom Bear recurve fully delaminate just as I released and took a slap to the upper back....about 35 years ago...seems I am still alive. I know a few archers who have experienced a dry fire and are still alive to relate the issue. A fellow who worked in the same building with me had a 1980's Browning compound break due to a magnesium riser casting defect in the center of the grip.....hit him square in the cheek and required surgery. Lived to tell about it. So how about you tell us of all the archery fatalities you know of.....not counting historical battles where opponents were purposefully launching arrows at one another with ill intent???

By the way, OP......I shot Vec99 strings for several months in 2020 and had no issues. If the string stayed on 40+ cycles, it was nothing you did in the installation either. User error.....his expense.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Must every thread deviate to drama on this forum? I’m newer here but this is like high school man every thread I read people being toxic one way or another I’m close to unsubscribing . That said from what I’ve read on your initial post I agree with the user that said torqued bow dude definitely punched himself in the face a couple of times and draws far out to the side . I know it’s a friend of yours but I have seen that derail and frayed strings plenty of times and it has always been the same culprit a full on dry fire not a partial could have been arrow wasn’t fully nocked or he could have been having fun with his new strings and pulling them back and they slipped with no arrow at all just saying if the way you installed them was the case I don’t see it making it through 50 shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
I full on dry fired a bow before( at full draw ) 70lb at 29” draw no arrow here’s how the strings looked (look familiar?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts