Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
I just reported this mess to a moderator so you are now a prophet.....but I doubt they will find anywhere your life was threatened??? Just where do you get your "facts" that a dry fire is likely to be a fatal occurence? I had a custom Bear recurve fully delaminate just as I released and took a slap to the upper back....about 35 years ago...seems I am still alive. I know a few archers who have experienced a dry fire and are still alive to relate the issue. A fellow who worked in the same building with me had a 1980's Browning compound break due to a magnesium riser casting defect in the center of the grip.....hit him square in the cheek and required surgery. Lived to tell about it. So how about you tell us of all the archery fatalities you know of.....not counting historical battles where opponents were purposefully launching arrows at one another with ill intent???

By the way, OP......I shot Vec99 strings for several months in 2020 and had no issues. If the string stayed on 40+ cycles, it was nothing you did in the installation either. User error.....his expense.

I'm just bringing some laughter to this place.
Geez
It was obvious if you read it.
Like cmon
The eyepatch
The widow
The kids with no dad.
Cmon everyone live and laugh

·
Registered
176 Posts
Since I see a similar thing in the shop almost weekly.... Well I hate to say it every single time someone dry fires there bow I hear this same exact thing. I don't know what happened, I shot and the bow and it exploded or I shot and the arrow went 2 feet and this happened. It is possible he derailed it but I don't believe the bow went off and derailed in that order. If anything he was drawing it back and derailed it and it caused the release to go off.... JMO - Either way no fault of yours. And hopefully nothing happened.

1 of 50 dry fires actually admits it... Whether this was that or not I can't say but I just can tell you people never want to tell the truth of what happened to avoid paying for whatever happened/happens.
%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thank you all for the responses. For clarity, it was and Insanity. He does torque the bow some when he draws. My concern with the string material is that it is ‘slippery’, at least more than I’m used to with BCY, not intending to say that’s the culprit at all. My concern was that I may have done something wrong since I’m relatively new to installing strings but really, unless you’re pulling them way out of spec (which I know I didn’t), what else could it be. You’ve all provided a lot of clarity for me and I’ll talk it over more with him.

·
I like elk!
18,625 Posts
Thank you all for the responses. For clarity, it was and Insanity. He does torque the bow some when he draws. My concern with the string material is that it is ‘slippery’, at least more than I’m used to with BCY, not intending to say that’s the culprit at all. My concern was that I may have done something wrong since I’m relatively new to installing strings but really, unless you’re pulling them way out of spec (which I know I didn’t), what else could it be. You’ve all provided a lot of clarity for me and I’ll talk it over more with him.

Basically the only thing you could have done to cause a derail is have a tremendous amount of cam lean.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Now we have to get Moderator involved.
See you not only put your friends life in DIRE DANGER.

BUT YOU JUST THREATENED MY LIFE OVER THE INTERNET.
THATS A CRIME.
No, I wasn't threatening your life, just your credentials vs mine.
Jesus what is wrong with you ?
Don't worry I got the weekend off if you need to give me a full disclosure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
61 Posts
Listen Forum
I am trying to bring a smile to all this
Thats why

I know I was being overdramatic
Lol

·
I like elk!
18,625 Posts
I can tell you there wasn’t any when I handed the bow back but that would make sense.
If cams were straight, all loops were properly seated on their posts and there wasn’t anything weird about the string set...and especially after 50 shots, then the only sensible conclusion is your buddy torqued the grip or did something else to cause he derail.

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
Actually torque will not cause the the issue op posted.
But Cam lean will.
And letting friends work on your bow is a big
NO

BUCKSHOT
Yes cam lean will.. but so will torquing the bow. After 50 shots without issue, I'm going with torque.
I agree 100% about letting others work on my bow. That includes shops too

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts

Just look at the fact that he joined a day ago, and has almost 50 posts. And every one of them is like this.

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
I’m not sure if it’s just the picture but the string itself looks quite a bit larger in diameter than what it should. Might be solely bc of the picture itself but I’d be measuring the string diameter. Looks like very large diameter serving to me. If so that Would really aid in de railing.

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X
187 Posts
I think your buddy was torquing/twisting the bow grip when he was drawing the bow.. if the string is released in this situation then it will derail 100% of the time... lots of YouTube videos demonstrating this... is he pulling a bow that is maybe a little too many lbs for him?.. that can cause people to torque it while drawing. Correct drawing form AND correct letting down form are often overlooked. Both very important... pair bad drawing form with unfamiliarity with a release and this type of thing can happen.. hopefully your buddy learned from this and it won't cost too much to get it back into shooting shape. IMO you are not at fault at all, not much to putting new strings on a bow, and if the first 50 shots all was well then you didn't do anything wrong... sorry for your buddy's expensive lesson.

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
2,184 Posts
Even with an arrow it was basically a partial dry fire.
Can U explain logic behind that ?

If bow is partly draw and fires with arrow vs. fully draw and fired ?
I think there's no shooter, who's shot more than once, that it hasn't been fired in middle of draw with arrow.
Specially when starting to use hinge..

·
Registered
Jim Beam Apple, Mathews, Jim Beam Apple
2,189 Posts
Im late to this party but dang 🥴 a little dramatic there.
My thought is he definitely was torquing the bow. I had a bow i shot for 3 years on same string and never had an issue. I sold it to a friend and in 3 days..... just about the same thing happened. After drilling into what happened and watching him draw the bow (after it was fixed😁) he had a strong grip on the bow and was bringing it to full draw in a off cant position.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Im late to this party but dang 🥴 a little dramatic there.
My thought is he definitely was torquing the bow. I had a bow i shot for 3 years on same string and never had an issue. I sold it to a friend and in 3 days..... just about the same thing happened. After drilling into what happened and watching him draw the bow (after it was fixed😁) he had a strong grip on the bow and was bringing it to full draw in a off cant position.
My thoughts are the same. OP should watch friend draw bow after it is fixed. I see torqueing way off to side quite a bit especially with a hinge so as to not punch one's self, plus death grip on bow while drawing possibly bc of over bowed.

Reactions: Jayhawk JB
21 - 40 of 42 Posts