Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again guys I LOVE THIS SITE!

I have a new Alleg. bow and got to shoot it for the first time today...my left arm looks like im shooting heroin instead of bows b/c i torqued my bow twice in a row today and the string ate my forearm up....IM a tard!

Anyway....im shooting 324 fps and at the end of the day my bowtech leeches were history...Is it ok to just take them off completly on the string and cables ? Also does the STS system work well, does it slow the fps down and do i even need string silencers when im shooting 324 fps.

just kinda sucks to me when u spend 800 bucks or more on a bow and on the first day the silencers fall apart....why even put them on there Bowtech has to know they dont work??? Thats my only complaint with this bow.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Your the same guy who was shooting an arrow too light fow you bow, right? That is going to do more than tear up your hush kit, and it won't be long before your limbs crack or worse! I shot my Patriot single cam for about a year before I lost any of the little arms off the string silincers. Get you an arrow that is right for your bow and you won't have any trouble with stuff flying off your bow and for safety sake! :mg:

P.S., sounds like your draw length is too long, try and fix that before you go putting an STS on your bow( not that it isn't a great accessory).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paul, i did take yalls advice and got my arrow weight up to 352(IBO STANDARDS) before i shot today. The leeches still riped...my draw length is correct for me..its 30 and thats what i shoot but even if it was wrong how would that have anything to do with the leeches ripping? Im shooting the bow to IBO and factory specs.The birth cerificate on the bow had a 350grain arrow with a 30 inch DL and im 2 grins above that.

thanks for you input, anymore would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
When you metioned you smoked your arm, the first thing I thought was that your draw might be too long. That wouldnt have anything to do with you silencers flying off, but shooting too light of an arrow would, in regards that it creates much more bow vibration than shooting a heavier arrow, thats what I meant. I just put a set of Simms String leeches on my Patriot Dually, and think they are great so far. They, along with my STS, took out a lot of vibration that I was feeling, and reduced the sound to a light "thunk" when I shoot. You might want to consider those instead of the Bowtech Hush kit if you are going to replace it. Good to see that you boosted your arrow weight, we don't want to hear of any bows exploding! :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
emtguy said:
Once again guys I LOVE THIS SITE!

I have a new Alleg. bow and got to shoot it for the first time today...my left arm looks like im shooting heroin instead of bows b/c i torqued my bow twice in a row today and the string ate my forearm up....IM a tard!

Anyway....im shooting 324 fps and at the end of the day my bowtech leeches were history...Is it ok to just take them off completly on the string and cables ? Also does the STS system work well, does it slow the fps down and do i even need string silencers when im shooting 324 fps.

just kinda sucks to me when u spend 800 bucks or more on a bow and on the first day the silencers fall apart....why even put them on there Bowtech has to know they dont work??? Thats my only complaint with this bow.

I am assuming you are referring to hunting siuations when you ask if you need silencers when you are shooting 324 fps and the answer is absolutely. A deer can react to sound at a rate of over 800 fps. In other words they do not make a bow fast enough to beat a deers reaction time. I hear people say all the time that their bow is so fast that the deer cant jump the string and that is pure ignorance. If the bow is loud {and most bowtecs I have seen are} then the deer can jump the string most certainly. There have been alot of deer killed with bows shooting in the low 200s or less and quiet is much more effective on a hunting setup than speed. If you can hear much more than the sound of the string moving air then I wont hunt with it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My advice is leave the silencers on the cables, they should last. Cut the ones off the string, mine tore also in one day shooting a 350 gr. arrow and at 62 lbs. draw. I even saw a brand new one in the store that had already torn, but thats no big deal. Replace the two on the string with the Sims leeches. They make some for crossbows that are a little tougher and they only weigh 1.7 grains apiece so they should have little to no affect on your speed. Good luck.

P.S. I shoot an Allegience and a Switchback and there is no way I can tell a difference in the sound. Also, get the STS, you will love it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a Bowtech Patriot with nothing but a string loop and a peep on my strings and cables. I have an STS, and my bow is very quiet with no noticable vibration. I gained about 6 fps by removing the string silencers and installing the STS.

·
Vendor
36,458 Posts
emtguy said:
thanks guys but will it hurt to remove all my stock silencers and replace them with whiskers or leeches?
No.

I have an Old Glory. I removed the hush silencers from the string (besause the little arms broke off) and put just an STS on. I still have the silencers on the cables and the limbs. The bow is dead in the hand and very quiet!
The STS will eliminate your string slap as well. I never hit arm unless it's late seasona and I had a bi parka on. I purchased the STS strictly for that scenario and it solved it. Also, despite what some opinions are on here, the STS will not slow slow or speed the bow up; not to any significance anyway.

Also, with shooting that high of speed, make sure your peep is tied in! The STS stops the string more suddenly. I have had no problems, but I'm only shooting 292 for 3D and 273 for hunting. 320+ could cause some things to go flying if there not tied in.

Good lcuk!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Take the silencers off the string and put an STS on it and call it good. I have one on my Allegiance and it does as much or more quieting than the string silencers do. It also will greatly help with the string slap you're experiencing, as it basically stops the bowstring from travelling past its resting position. Good luck! :smile:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Just replace the BT. slincers with wiskers or leaches. Leave the ones on the cables and you will be fine. I also shot mine of the first night of shooting.

By the way what did your B.C. say for speed?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
The energy in the Binary Cams are what is wiping out the string silencers. If your primary purpose for this bow is hunting, you would be far better off with an arrow in the 6.5 to 7 grains per pound range. You will convert more of the bows energy to pushing the arrow and less to sound. You will also gain more penetration due to increased momentum. Leave the silincers on the cables, remove them from the strings, add the STS System and a Windstalker Cable Guide and you will be good to go.
Dave Nowlin

·
Registered
654 Posts
Cat Wiskers are the most durable and work great, if you dont like them bow jacks are great!!
I just put a STS on my 2005 Allegiance, awsome you dont even need string things for target shooting w these but I'd put some on for Deer season!
PS
In my opinion with your setup wy would you not shoot a 400+ grn arrow I would it is ruff on your bow that light w/ your D L at 70lbs.
Just my thought
ScottyBow

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The original question is will it hurt to take off the hush kit. It will not hurt your bow to remove the hush kit. In fact that is the first thing to go on our camo bows. We have the silencers on the cables and an STS and our bows are very quiet. STS is an absolutely awesome product and will quieten your bow to where you hear nothing but thump when your arrow hits.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I took off the silencers on the cables of my '06 Allegiance. The ones on the string are still ok. I shoot at least 3 days a week & I've had the bow about 6 weeks. When these come off, I'll probably replace them with whiskers. I did install an STS. The bow is very quiet to begin with. Definitely makes a difference. I stood down range about 20 yards off to the side while a buddy of mine shot the bow from 20 yards. The arrow in flight made more noise than the Allegiance. I could barely & I mean barely hear the bow itself. I haven't had a chance to re-crono the bow. I was at 275 fps at 60lb with a
28" draw. I'll have to check it, but I do not think the STS made any difference in the speed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.