Archery Talk Forum banner

Boy, it's good to be back!

1177 Views 32 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  hockey7
After fighting thru hip replacement surgery, it sure is good to be back on AT. At is good therapy for what ails me. It will be a while before I can pull back my OG and Protec but that gives me something to look forward to. In the mean time, I can chat on here and take rehab and look forward to 3-D with the grandkids next year! Thanks
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Relocated Cajun
10,981 Posts
could you please tell me how in the world they do that...

geez...it's a hip...how many stitches does that take!!!!!!!!??????????

glad to see you are alright...

I had two lymph nodes removed from my neck in high school for a biopsy....the scar on that thing was big...can't imagine a hip.....:rolleyes:

God Bless and don't get carpal tunnel posting....:p :tongue:

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Let me be one of the first to say, Welcome back!! Glad to hear that you are on the mend and your spirits sound good. Hope you are having a good Thanksgiving and it is always good to get good reports from the fine people on the forum.:thumbs_up

32,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jose Boudreaux said:
could you please tell me how in the world they do that...

geez...it's a hip...how many stitches does that take!!!!!!!!??????????

glad to see you are alright...

I had two lymph nodes removed from my neck in high school for a biopsy....the scar on that thing was big...can't imagine a hip.....:rolleyes:

God Bless and don't get carpal tunnel posting....:p :tongue:
Well, I had a 12 inch cut on the hip and the Dr. cuts off the hip ball, drives a metal spike down your leg with a rubber mallet, takes a tool like a dremel tool and cleans out the socket area. He then replaces the socket with a titanium one and screws it in with two screws. Dr. told me he would not use cement on mine but use pressure only. The ball and socket is made of titanium steel and should last me the remainder of my life. Wasn't much fun in there but I didn't know it ever happened. He also sewed up the incision with staples and they were taken out yesterday. That smarted some.

They gave me a happy pill in the prep room(I went out like a light) and the surgery took about one to two seconds and I woke up in the recovery room. Other than throwing up due to the anesthesia, blatter infection and acute constipation, I had a wonderful time. Getting it all well with this blame rehab is what challenges my patience!

· Registered
8,465 Posts
It's good to hear you're alright, rembrandt. Do you have rubber tubing or anything to start working those shoulder muscles? Be ready, 'cuz your grandkids need you to be in top form come 3D season. They are probably counting on you to show them a thing or two. Good luck and take care.
Gerald

32,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
XP35 said:
It's good to hear you're alright, rembrandt. Do you have rubber tubing or anything to start working those shoulder muscles? Be ready, 'cuz your grandkids need you to be in top form come 3D season. They are probably counting on you to show them a thing or two. Good luck and take care.
Gerald
Thanks for the good words. The rehab people gave me two of those rubber pull thing-a-ma-gigs to excercise with and I use them twice a day. I didn't realize how important upper body work outs would be utilized but they have me doing alot of it. I'm glad however cause it will keep me in shape for drawing back those two compounds of mine. Maybe this time off will give me time to make some arrows and get my equipment ready for next year.

· Registered
10,694 Posts
Welcome back, Rembrandt.
Glad you're doing better. :thumbs_up

Sag.

· Registered
12,613 Posts
Glad to see you back! Hope you get "back to normal" as quick as you can. Don't overdo it though. Stick with what those that know tell you!

· Registered
3,538 Posts
Good to have you back. Wow a 12 " scar that's big i got a resurface with a metal on metal joint and I thought my seven incher was long the average lenght was about 5 inches for hip replacement. If you can stay away from archery your a better man than me. I gave in and borrowed a 24 lb recurve for a few weeks and shoot that indoors sitting down and had some one else collect and score for me.

32,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jerrytee said:
Good to have you back. Wow a 12 " scar that's big i got a resurface with a metal on metal joint and I thought my seven incher was long the average lenght was about 5 inches for hip replacement. If you can stay away from archery your a better man than me. I gave in and borrowed a 24 lb recurve for a few weeks and shoot that indoors sitting down and had some one else collect and score for me.
I think I'll stick with the rehab and forget the bows for awhile. I don't think I'd be tooooo happy sitting down and trying to shoot. The rehab I'm getting should keep my upper body in good enough shape to rebound pretty quick. Right now I'm still a little weak from the surgery. I will have about a 10 to 12 inch scar it looks like.

· Registered
191 Posts
:thumbs_up Glad that everything went well and you're on the road to recovery. Good to see ya back on here again! Maybe one of these days when you get to feeling better I can buy ya dinner at El Toro and we can talk bows for awhile.

32,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RingSteel said:
:thumbs_up Glad that everything went well and you're on the road to recovery. Good to see ya back on here again! Maybe one of these days when you get to feeling better I can buy ya dinner at El Toro and we can talk bows for awhile.
Thanks for the good thoughts above and RS, you got a deal. I like El Toros everynow and then. Usually eat too much however.

· Registered
1,256 Posts
rembrandt, glad to hear your on the mend. My father had hip replacement done, so I kind of know what you are going through. Do what the physical therapist tells you to do even though it hurts like billy heck. Have fun with the grand kids.
Carroll :)

· Registered
5,634 Posts
road to recovery

Welcome back rembrandt, glad to hear of your speedy ops. and now on to the road to recovery. Therepy has given me a new lease on life. I was in for 10.5 months after back surgery. Thanks to the challenges, I can now walk again.
Fight through the pain...it is worth it all!

32,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Carroll and Mathews. I am doing what the rehab people have me set up to do now at home and starting Mon. I go in as an out-patient. It's not too bad but the rehab is slow and a little painful. I want to get that bow out and shoot but I don't have the strength or the balance to do so. Hope I get over it by the end of the year cause I've got 3-D planned for myself and my kids. Looking forward to it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.