Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
damn, it is like the holidays again. i booked a hunt for the california "hill country". pig haven, hollister california. i did this many months ago, and now it is finally here. i will be hunting with 5 other complete strangers. unguided, and i assume i will be hiking my butt off. rain is coming! my gear is scattered all over the place. now if i can just make it through today, and half of tomorrow at work. (bumming my hunting partner, JKVshooter wont be making it.)

then it is "GAME ON!" i have been following a local thread. the past several hunts got skunked. they saw pigs, but nobody connected. i assume most of my group will be turkey hunting also. i will focus solely on getting some pork in the freezer.

wish me luck.

cliff

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
:greenwithenvy:

stick a nice piggy & don't forget the camera!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
pig hunt

Cliff,
I hunted on a ranch down there, south of Hollister and north of King City (Old Hernandez Pass area), and saw lots of pigs in a short amount of time. Are you hunting private land? If so, you should see pigs.
If you're looking to fill the freezer, choose a young boar or a sow. My first was a huge tusker, but the meat wasn't very good. My next was a sow (about 150-170#), and that meat was delicious!
Of course, if you're looking for a mountable trophy, they're in there!
Good luck to you, and don't forget to post your story and pictures when you're done!

·
Registered
658 Posts
have fun and good luck!!! i'm going with AMBUSHER in hawaii in sept.
can not wait!!

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we didnt see jack. i didnt have the stamp to allow me to arrow a turkey, so you KNOW what i saw all over the place. yup, turkeys.

i hiked alot, got plenty of exercise, met new friends. it wasnt a total loss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts