Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does brace height infulence the forgivesness of a bow?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
the shorter the BH the longer the arrow is on the string and is influenced by you and the bow... the longer hte BH the shorter amount of time tha the arrow is on the string and less time it has to be negatively influenced by you...

·
Registered
685 Posts
the shorter the BH the longer the arrow is on the string and is influenced by you and the bow... the longer hte BH the shorter amount of time tha the arrow is on the string and less time it has to be negatively influenced by you...
But........ Do ya really see that much change between 5 1/2 inch vrs a 6 1/2 brace weight???????

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Also as the distance between the rest and nocking point decreases durring the shot (while the arrow is still attached to the string and rest), torque and other imperfections have an exponentially greater influence on moving that arrow off course. For example, lay your arrow on a table and put two fingers 5in apart from each other on either side of the shaft, then push in toward the shaft 1 in. Notice how far the tips of the arrow move. Do the same but with the fingers 7in apart instead of 5. Notice that the tips of the arrow move less. This shows that the greater the distance the less the arrow is effected by movement durring the shot. Also why drop aways can help on the last few inches durring the shot.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
i agree that if you have good form the BH wont be a big issue at all, i had an omen that had a 5 1/2 inch brace height that shot lights out at 70+(ran out of distance to shoot), but the few times i did not have the best form it magnified the imperfections in my shot, ie a 4-6 inch miss that on say a 7 inch bh bow might only be 2-3 inches...i def wouldnt recommend a bow under 7 inch bh if the ata is 32 or less inches, just because its way too easy to torque a bow that short, but if its like 33-35 inch ata w/ a shorter bh it isnt gonna be as big of an issue just because its a more stable bow, so it will also be more forgiving...i made a switch from the 5.5 inch bh omen to a 7 inch bh athens accomplice 34 and am happy with the switch...the shorter bh will be faster, but speed isnt anything if you cant hit what your aimin at(torque,punching the trigger,dropping arm,the list goes on)...so if you have good consistant form, the small bh will be fine, but if your iffy on it, go with a lil more bh and i guarantee ull be happy..just my .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts