28-31" draw
9" brace height
330 fps IBo

APA Black Mamba Extreme
35 3/16 Axle to Axle
26-30" draw
6 5/8 brace height
345 fps IBO

At what point in Brace height do you start losing Accuracy ?
Can these two bows be equally accurate from the same experienced shooter ?
Just curious !
Thanks

·
StringMakerExtraordinaire
2,225 Posts
Forgiving brace height is really dependant on the amount of draw length. Someone who is a very short draw IE;(24"-27") doesn't necessarily need 8"+ brace to be as forgiving as someone with a (27"-29") or (29"-31"+) respectively. However, even for the shortest of draws , anything under 7", becomes a very critical bow.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
{wp}ArcherWolf said:
Forgiving brace height is really dependant on the amount of draw length. Someone who is a very short draw IE;(24"-27") doesn't necessarily need 8"+ brace to be as forgiving as someone with a (27"-29") or (29"-31"+) respectively. However, even for the shortest of draws , anything under 7", becomes a very critical bow.

I agree with all but your last sentence. Bows under 7" are only critical if your form is bad, then it doesn't matter if you have 10" of brace height. One of the top selling bows of all time the Hoyt Ultra Tec only has a 7" brace height and if you have spirals on it it is under 7". How many have you heard talk about the UT being unforgiving? Not to many if any. I have even shot my best field scores with a sub 6" brace height bow. How many people complain about the Prestige not being a shooter? None of them. Brace height is over rated in my opinion.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Brown Hornet said:
I agree with all but your last sentence. Bows under 7" are only critical if your form is bad, then it doesn't matter if you have 10" of brace height. One of the top selling bows of all time the Hoyt Ultra Tec only has a 7" brace height and if you have spirals on it it is under 7". How many have you heard talk about the UT being unforgiving? Not to many if any. I have even shot my best field scores with a sub 6" brace height bow. How many people complain about the Prestige not being a shooter? None of them. Brace height is over rated in my opinion.
:thumbs_up

The jist of what both these guys said is exaclty right.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Rebelrick said:
Elite Element
37.5" Axle to axle
28-31" draw
9" brace height
330 fps IBo

APA Black Mamba Extreme
35 3/16 Axle to Axle
26-30" draw
6 5/8 brace height
345 fps IBO

At what point in Brace height do you start losing Accuracy ?
Can these two bows be equally accurate from the same experienced shooter ?
Just curious !
Thanks

has anyone actually measured that elite?? somehow 9 inch of brace height and 330 IBO speed just doesn't ring right.

Draw force curves must be approaching a squared wave.

if you have a longer draw length and under 6.5 inches of brace height, seems any small error on your part gets magnified and your miss is greater, as opposed to a higher brace height.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Oh by the way it was already said that the Element would be in the 310fps range not 330.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,331 Posts
INMHO from everything I've experienced the Axle to Axle length of a bow is more critical to the forgiveness than Brace Height.

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
Agree with Punch

With longer A2A bows having a short brace height has a smaller affect on forgiveness than on say a bow with a 35" A2A or shorter.

But also agree on the DL statement when shooting a short bow with shorter BH.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I think bows being labeled anything is old school thinking. Todays designs blow the doors off of everybodys conceptions they thought they knew about bow design.
Chris White sets a fita record with a Switchback. Then makes the shootoff with the 33" bow and 7" brace at Vegas.
With all of the good instruction available to shooters these days, brace height and Axle to axle lengths, are just stats.

·
StringMakerExtraordinaire
2,225 Posts
Brown Hornet said:
I can agree with that.. but don't forget those bows have a much longer axle to axle length with is also another forgiveness factor which actually affects stability more than brace height.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I shot a lot of low brace height High Country bows back in their hay day. It never seemed to be a problem for me.:)

I don't think Randy Ulmer had many problems with them either;)

I am sure he could shoot most anything:)

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
{wp}ArcherWolf said:
I can agree with that.. but don't forget those bows have a much longer axle to axle length with is also another forgiveness factor which actually affects stability more than brace height.

Very true that is why I prefer bows longer than 36". That being said the sub 6" bh bow I was talking about was a Hoyt Hyper Tec which was in the 35-36" range. Man I shot that bow great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts