Archery Talk Forum banner

Brace Height Question - Arrow Length (Weird)

921 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  hnomadh
I have a Bowtech 101st Airborne and it has a brace height of 7 1/4 (7.25) and ATA 36 1/4 and I just purchased a Bowtech BOSS with a brace height of 7 and ATA of 36. With the brace height being 1/4 (.25) inches shorter on the BOSS and the ATA being 1/4 inches shorter, I would think the arrow would be slightly shorter. When I pulled the BOSS back with the arrows I use on the 101st Airborne, its super close to the rest and my knuckle... (I'm very careful .. especially seeing pic of people driving arrows through their hands). I have other arrows built now, and they are a little over and inch longer than the 101st arrows.

Heres specs:

101st Airborne
36 1/4 ATA
29.5 DL
7 1/4 BH
= Shorter Arrow????

BOSS
36 ATA
29.5 DL
7 BH
= Longer Arrow???

Something seems a bit sdrawkcab (backwards)... Can someone help me understand this?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Lacking Gravitas
If DL is 29.5 on both bows you should have same length arrows for both bows. That is why the string and cable lengths are different on each bow so that the draw length will be the same. The only way you might get a shorter arrow is if you had the arrow rest back more from the riser on one bow versus the other, but the draw length is still 29.5 regardless.

And that is my "sub-professional" opinion. :wink:

Lacking Gravitas
I'm thinking the same as "Evil is Dead" posted above, but the arrow is right on my knuckles on the BOSS and the arrow is about an inch or so past my knuckles on the 101st Airborne.
I wish Evil was dead... but I know Elvis is. :wink:

But regarding your draw length... your arm length didn't change between bows, and so your DL is the same. And in order to get the arrow closer to your knuckles... you're release arm MUST BE holding the string farther back on the BOSS than it is on the AIRBORNE (assuming the arrows are the same length on both bows).

This tells me that the DL is likely longer on the BOSS than is on the AIRBORNE. I suppose it is possible that BowTech has perhaps... understated the DL on the BOSS? :dontknow:

But what I do know... is that your physical DL doesn't change between bows.

Registered
different bows with different geometries...it will have an affect on arrow length to bow end of riser- measure from the deepest part of the grip to the end of the riser- see if they're the same.. And we haven't even talked about putting it on a draw board.

Oh, and on BH and ATA...here is what you do next time you set it. Max the bow out, set the weight to exactly the specified dw....set the DL on a draw board....tune as required. Once you're finished with that, measure the ATA and BH....this is YOUR BH, call it done.

Registered
Might check actual DL for both bows. Even if they are set to 29.5" setting (mod setting) one may run longer than the other when you check on a draw board. Could account for difference you are seeing.

Registered
Might check actual DL for both bows. Even if they are set to 29.5" setting (mod setting) one may run longer than the other when you check on a draw board. Could account for difference you are seeing.
This would be my guess. The draw lengths have to be different regardless of what setting they're on. Some manufacturers tend to run long on their draws (probably to increase speeds) and the bow could also be a little out of spec. If you're out of spec just a little it can change your draw length quite a bit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to take this advice and run with it. When I get a chance, which I will, I will place it on a draw board and measure. Once I've done this I will post updates. thank you all for your help thus far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.