Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but I saw a post today that got me thinking. Brace height affects the power stroke of the string, correct? So here's my question:

If someone has a 30" draw and shoots a 8" BH bow, is that the same length of power stroke of someone shooting a 28" draw through a 6" BH bow?

What I mean is 30-8=22" power stroke and 28-6=22" power stroke. Do both bows have the same "forgiveness"?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, or I'm just not seeing something obvious.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
power stroke is essentially the same,, forgiveness not so much,,,, the larger brace height will still hold a slight edge in forgiveness, it did not change

·
(aka lug nut)
49,708 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong, but I saw a post today that got me thinking. Brace height affects the power stroke of the string, correct? So here's my question:

If someone has a 30" draw and shoots a 8" BH bow, is that the same length of power stroke of someone shooting a 28" draw through a 6" BH bow?

What I mean is 30-8=22" power stroke and 28-6=22" power stroke. Do both bows have the same "forgiveness"?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, or I'm just not seeing something obvious.
You have that correct.

Someone who shoots a 28-inch bow,
with a 6-inch brace height
has a 22-inch power stroke.

Someone who shoots a 30-inch bow,
with a 8-inch brace height,
also has the EXACT SAME 22-inch power stroke.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well I'm not a pro but here is my opinion on it:

Yes that is correct they would have the same power stroke. But, time on the string (power stroke) really doesn't make a very big difference because the different time on the string is SO minimal! The advantage to a longer brace is that it gets harder to torque the bow. But it works the same way with torque too, the shorter the draw length, you can get away with a shorter brace hight to revive the same torque forgiveness.

There was a great thread on this subject a couple years ago with tons of information maybe you can find it with a search.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,708 Posts

"forgiveness".

what exactly does that mean?

It means, the SHOOTER shoots HIS/HER bow really well,
so THAT bow MUST be forgiving.

It also means, the SHOOTER does NOT shoot his/her bow really well,
so THAT bow MUST be not "forgiving".

Soooo,
let's look at this example.

bowboysp.

He posted a How's My Form thread.

BUT
BUT
BUT
in another separate thread, bowboysp says HE has TARGET PANIC.

He is holding 12-inches LOW.
So,
is his BOW forgiving?
is his BOW not forgiving?

Mathews Z9 has a 8-3/4 inch brace height.

FORM before and AFTER.

20 yard groups with the AFTER form.

Busting nocks now at 30 yards.

FOCUS on your FORM
and you won't need to worry so much about Brace Height.

For bowboysp,
HALF the folks said his draw length was WAAAAY too long.
HALF the folks said his draw length was WAAAAY too short.

IN this case,
I advised bowboysp that his bow DRAW LENGTH was JUST FINE.

He had to get the string oFF his nose,
and use a kisser button,
and the rest is history.

When a bow is "NOT FORGIVING"
that usually means a FORM problem
and the wrong draw length.

TUNE the draw length to the 1/4-inch

that's right,
IN BETWEEN DL module sizes,
and you just MIGHT cut your group sizes MUCH MUCH smaller.

When you cut your group sizes MUCH MUCH smaller...

is the SAME bow
now MUCH more "forgiving"??

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have that correct.

Someone who shoots a 28-inch bow,
with a 6-inch brace height
has a 22-inch power stroke.

Someone who shoots a 30-inch bow,
with a 8-inch brace height,
also has the EXACT SAME 22-inch power stroke.
So in reality, the forgiveness of a bow is in the riser/ATA length? I'm asking these questions because I have a 30.25" draw length and shoot a 7" BH bow @ 35 ATA. So let's say that someone with a 28.25" DL shoots the new Mathews Wake with a 5" BH and 35 ATA, both bows will have the same forgiveness??

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
arguably the Wake would have greater "forgiveness" because that bow has a much more aggressive eccentric and the arrow will be away earlier.

but we are talking milliseconds..

the idea that brace height makes a bow more forgiving is one of the myths of archery.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,708 Posts
So in reality, the forgiveness of a bow is in the riser/ATA length? I'm asking these questions because I have a 30.25" draw length and shoot a 7" BH bow @ 35 ATA. So let's say that someone with a 28.25" DL shoots the new Mathews Wake with a 5" BH and 35 ATA, both bows will have the same forgiveness??
Forgiveness is in how well the bow DL has been adjusted to fit your body parts.
Forgiveness is a HUMAN shooter looking at bow specs, to explain why a bow shoots well for them or not.

For a 30-inch+ draw length,
I don't recommend a 28-inch ATA bow,
cuz the string angle is REALLY sharp
and

that puts the peep a LOOOOONG ways from your eyeball.

If you do the STRING must TOUCH my nose,
30-inch + draw length
and a 28-inch aTA bow...

the string ends up WAY WAY WAAAAAY back on your head.

Doesn't work.

bowboysp HEARD somewhere on the Internet
that the STRING HAS to touch his nose
and
that the BOW arm needs a DECENT bend at the elbow.

THIS is why his 8-3/4 inch BRACE height bow was NOT forgiving,
this is why his 8-3/4 inch BRACE height bow was HOLDING 12-INCHES LOW.

Well,
it has ZERO to do with the BRACE height.

It has ZERO to do with the bow draw length.

His HOLDING low was COMPLETELY due to string touching da NOSE.
His HOLDING low was COMPLETELY due to the big bend in the elbow.

NOW,
his 8-3/4 inch BRACE height bow is BUSTING nocks at 30 yards,
and HIS BOW is no longer holding 12-INCHES LOW.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,708 Posts
When you learn how to figure out if the BOW draw length fits you
or
If the BOW draw length DOES not fit you...

I can teach you how to make ANY bow "forgiving".

Even the Mathews WAKE.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
the idea that brace height makes a bow more forgiving is one of the myths of archery.
Having shot both longer bows with shorter brace and shorter bows with longer brace equally well, I’d have to agree with the statement above as a general rule. If you make a good shot, forgiveness is moot, but….
If your game is determined by the winner being the guy with the best, bad shots, then forgiveness may just be the deciding factor.

I personally choose each weapon for its intended purpose. With unknown yardage 3Ds, a little more speed will buy me some lack of distance judging forgiveness. Not much, but a little. Known yardage and indoor get the long slow bow for shot execution forgiveness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts