Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a brand new Reezen with a 6.5" brace height. What does this mean?:embara::confused::set1_thinking::dontknow:
:ball::doh::behindsof:usa2::banplease:ban:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The measurement between the throat of the grip to the draw string is 6.5".

·
No Hype, Just Hunt
12,419 Posts
The measurement between the back of the grip to the draw string is 6.5".
+1

And some think that a smaller brace height is tougher to shoot, and that a bigger brace height means it is more forgiving. I have shot a 6" brace height just as well if not better then I have some 7". With that being said I am shooting a 7" right now and it is by far the most accurate bow I have had to date.

·
Registered
729 Posts
As I understand it, brace height is the distance from the string to the pivot point of the grip. A bow with a longer brace height tends to be more forgiving of errors in your form (the better your form and the more consistently you shoot, the less this impacts you), while a bow with a shorter brace height stores more energy and shoots faster as a result. There is a tradeoff between speed and forgiveness.

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
There are a lot of other variables... but a shorter brace height stanslates to a faster arrow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh...

Thanks guys:darkbeer:....so this would be a factor in what your draw length would be too.?.?:dontknow:

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
Thanks guys:darkbeer:....so this would be a factor in what your draw length would be too.?.?:dontknow:
Your drawlength will remain the same whether you have an 8" or 6" brace height.

The arrow will release from a 8" before a 6" brace height. This means less time on the string, less time for hand torque to effect arrow flight.

I know someone can explain it better than I can. Doesn't matter what you shoot as long as your having fun doing it.

Enjoy,,,
Nick

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
A lower brace height can make it easier to get string slap on the arm also but if you have a string stopper on that usually takes care of it.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Forgiveness, and clearance...

Brace height: It's the distance from the string to the deepest part of your grip.

With a lower brace height, string can travel further, thus more speed & energy.

BUT!!!!
All things being equal, the shorter the brace height, the less forgiving a bow. (more attention to form / technique & precision is generally required to shoot the bow consistently) Also, the closer the string travels to your grip, the more you have to worry about making contact with your clothing / arm.

Since my technique occasionally "goes out the window" during the "moment of truth" I like to shoot higher brace height bows. (But I still like speed & energy for flatter trajectories.) Everyone has to find the right "balance" between speed and forgiveness for their skill/shooting styles.

Brace height is not the entire answer for shootability, because not all things are not equal. (As I have recently personally experienced.)
Nevertheless, brace height is still a good starting point when choosing a bow for it's "level of forgiveness."

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Forge nut

I just bought a new Forge Ventilator it has a 8 inch brace and it is just as fast as the Mathews. My old bow was a Forge PF34 it had a 7 inch brace and the Ventilator is a lot easyer to shoot. So I say that the brace has nothing to do with speed but with a fast bow you need good form. A fast bow isn't as forgiving.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If two bows have equal draw length, the distance from grip to string at full draw, but one has an 8 inch brace and another has a 6 inch brace. The bow with the 6 inch brace has a longer power stroke. Power stroke being drawlengh minus brace height. The larger the power stroke the more energy the bow stores and hence more speed, so smaller brace=more speed, given that draw length is equal. Now the longer the arrow is on the bow the more you can effect it after your release. Because the arrow is on the bow for a shorter time with a longer brace that means that it will be more forgiving to follow through errors. 6.5 will give you good speed outaya bow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts