Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to archery, looking at getting my first bow in the next few weeks, prob. after 1st of the year. What do the dimensions of brace height represent and how does this affect shooting the bow or the individual.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
BH is basically the distance from the string to the grip area. This is dictated by riser design and limb angle mostly. A longer brace height is usually more stable and less likely to hit your arm.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Also, shorter BH usually means more speed because of a longer power stroke.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So someone new like myself, should I be looking into a shorter or longer BH. I guess ultimately this is one thing that going to determine my total fps.

A

·
0 Posts
I started out with a 7 1/8" brace height, every bow feels different. Try them all out, you might be walking away with a shorter BH if it feels better for you

·
Registered
805 Posts
In a nut shell, the lower the number for the brace height means faster arrow speeds but less forgiving bow they used to be called a "SHOOTER'S" bow (around my town) because a "shooter" had great form. The higher the number the slower the arrow speed but the easier to shoot...more forgiving.

Just starting out I would go with larger BH.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info, thanks. I'm really trying to educate myself as much as I can before I just jump out there and make a purchase. I tell the old lady at least once a day I can't wait to get a bow. I just want to make sure I purchase one that will benefit me for a few years before buying another.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
There is no such thing as a minimum brace height for everybody. It depends on the individual.

I recommend that you find out your correct draw length, and look for a bow with a brace height about 20" to 21" less than your DL.

If your draw length is 29, your brace height should be 8" to 9". After a few years, you may find you can shoot 7" or less.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Well if you have a 27" draw or less you'd be fine going with a 7" BH. 28-30" look for a 7 1/2 - 8". You want to learn to shoot the lights out, then speed can just be an afterthought. Basically, the more BH, the further back the pivot point that straightens out the bow at full draw. Since you won't be able to grip "exactly" the same every time, the extra BH helps straighten the bow out and reduce torque at full draw. This happens moreso in the woods out of a treestand (and under pressure), but it'll take you a very long time anyway to really grip the same every time without thinking about it.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
A bow with a higher brace height or deflexed riser will ALWAYS be more stable and less prone to torque. No exception if comparing apples to apples. Good advise here----look at a 35-38" bow with a 7-8" brace height or more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts