Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the photos of the first leg of the World Cup that just took place and it appears that Braden is shooting an Ultra Elite. I thought he was shooting the Vantage Elite. What's up with that?

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
^^^^

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I noticed that as well, but it looks like an 07 riptide ProElite with XT2000 limbs and the original Cam.5.

Only hearing great things about the Vantage Elite, but the parallel limb angle makes it a definite non-starter for me. A couple of people at a shoot at my club had them and they are almost completely dead in the hand on the shot. No thanks.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Jbird
My guess would be with a lack of set up time (due to weather) he just used one of the bows he had set up for outdoors from the previous year (that is what I would do). Confidence in a set up goes along way

·
Registered
65 Posts
JBird,

I didn't have the time to get my vantage as dialed in as I wanted it before Dominican. I shot it in qualification and the first day of OR's and it shot well, but it wasn't "perfect."

After Dominican, I knew what I needed to iron out, got it taken care of, and the VE shot very well for me in Arizona... With the way it shot at the AZ Cup, I can tell you that it'll be the only bow in my hands the rest of the summer.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
I posted that over at the other place yesterday....I was shocked also. :noidea:

But Braden shoots the Pro....:wink:

Dave also went back to his UE :eek:

Braden did start the Cup out shooting the VE though....there are pics of him shooting both....but the ones from the gold medal match he is shooting a Pro Elite....I did a double take. :D

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I posted that over at the other place yesterday....I was shocked also. :noidea:

But Braden shoots the Pro....:wink:

Dave also went back to his UE :eek:

Braden did start the Cup out shooting the VE though....there are pics of him shooting both....but the ones from the gold medal match he is shooting a Pro Elite....I did a double take. :D

Yo...did you read post #5? :D

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Yo...did you read post #5? :D
I did after I hit reply....I am on my CrackBerry and that wasn't there when I started my reply....:chortle:

But then I got a call and a couple text....and then came back to finish :doh: :D

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Braden

Thanks for answering. The VE seems to be ticket for almost everyone. I thought maybe you were digging on that great speed the 09 Ultra Elite gets with the new Spiral X cam for outdoors. GREAT shooting at the first leg!

Jbird

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^^

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Thanks for answering. The VE seems to be ticket for almost everyone. I thought maybe you were digging on that great speed the 09 Ultra Elite gets with the new Spiral X cam for outdoors. GREAT shooting at the first leg!

Jbird
But he went back to his old PEs not an Ultra.....:wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Jbird

The hornet is right, I was shooting a Pro-elite in the photos...

I'm digging on the speed of the VE right now though. I was shooting around 240-245 fps with my old pro elites over the last couple of years, and now with the jump to 265, I'm all about it... shooting in the wind has become so much easier, not to mention the tighter groups I'm noticing all the way out to 90.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good Info

I had some questions about the (relative) long a to a of the VE after shooting the 737 at 26.5 draw length last year but Griv convinced me that 40.5" a to a is no big deal for my draw length. Mine should be in next week and I will be setting it up for Field season which is just kicking off up here in the frozen tundra. LOL

Thanks again,
Jbird

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
Whew :rolleyes:

J ] my VE will be in next week also. And here, when i first started reading this tread.

My thoughts were. Oh no. We are going to half to changE again. :wink:

But as the thread went along. I began feeling a lot better. And now i feel oh so good. :wink: Eat your heart out "Hornet" .U will come around. :wink:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
JBird,

I didn't have the time to get my vantage as dialed in as I wanted it before Dominican. I shot it in qualification and the first day of OR's and it shot well, but it wasn't "perfect."

After Dominican, I knew what I needed to iron out, got it taken care of, and the VE shot very well for me in Arizona... With the way it shot at the AZ Cup, I can tell you that it'll be the only bow in my hands the rest of the summer.
Braden, I am curious what you had to change on your VE to get it dialed in perfect the way you like?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I didn't have the time or weather to spend as much time getting the bow ready as I would have liked... Instead of spending a day at 70m making subtle changes every couple of ends looking for the best group, I just ran an arrow through paper up close and said, "good enough."

As it turned out when I got to DR, good enough was good... but not great. If I made a good shot, the arrow would go where I was expecting about 4 out of 5 times... I was shooting a good number of tens, but my X counts were terrible... Now that I've had the time back home to get that day by myself at 70m, the bow has more than proven itself.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Im just curious what size groups can you shoot on a good day at 70 meters? I have always wanted to ask a pro archer that,,,

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I didn't have the time or weather to spend as much time getting the bow ready as I would have liked... Instead of spending a day at 70m making subtle changes every couple of ends looking for the best group, I just ran an arrow through paper up close and said, "good enough."

As it turned out when I got to DR, good enough was good... but not great. If I made a good shot, the arrow would go where I was expecting about 4 out of 5 times... I was shooting a good number of tens, but my X counts were terrible... Now that I've had the time back home to get that day by myself at 70m, the bow has more than proven itself.
Wow awesome, thanks for sharing. I shoot most of my bows in the good enough situation, so it is nice to hear that the extra work really does make all the difference. I have a VE and a VP and they are both great bows.

BTW. Did you ever try to perform this type of final tweaking with a hooter shooter?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've only used a hooter shooter once, and I find it as more of an advantage when sorting through arrows. I know a couple archers who will grab a fresh dozen arrows and only use the ones that hit the same hole.

As far as for tuning, a bow is a bow is a bow, and it's designed to do the same thing every time... the biggest problem comes about when human-error is thrown into the mix. I mean, of course a hooter shooter will tell you if a bow is untuned, but to get a bow "perfect" you need to spend time fitting it to your own shot. We've all got little imperfections in our form that will impact an arrow's flight that just don't happen when using a h-shooter. What I try to do is to create a set-up that minimizes the severity of these flaws or inconsistencies... and really, the only way to do this is through running through arrows and making changes.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Hi Braden!

Not to change the subject, but I've been following your archery career for a long time back to when you were shooting JOAD. I always told guys to watch this Braden kid cause he is gonna be a big shot! Anyways, it's nice to have you posting here on AT. I wish there were more of your caliber contributing good stuff. I have several archers I greatly respect that I do searches on every once in awhile to see what input they've givin....Dee, Tim (the Hammer), Reo, Jimmy D., etc. I'm gonna have to add your name to the list now! :thumbs_up

1 - 20 of 35 Posts