Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a brand new bow, and it came in today. I had plenty of time to set it up right and when I was done I shot it over the chrono and thought it was a little on the slow side, so I checked the draw weight and it was only 68# nutted out.....that kinda sucks!! I'm used to most bows going 1-2# OVER max weight not UNDER!! :(

It still shoots great, just a bit discouraged. A few minutes on the press and it was back up to where it should be but I don't really feel it should have been my job to fix it.

JM

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You would be suprised on how many bows I get in my hands that are brand new and out of spec quite a bit. I agree they shouldnt be that way when you pay good money for them.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
yep, seen quite a few bows this year that were coming in under max. from more than one manufacturer

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Well, they don't tune them at the factory. And the cheap harnessing they put on most bows starts creeping the minute they put it on and keeps on creeping while it's being shipped and while it hangs on the rack. I always thought that shops were supposed to take care of that stuff before selling them, but few do.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I ordered a brand new bow, and it came in today. I had plenty of time to set it up right and when I was done I shot it over the chrono and thought it was a little on the slow side, so I checked the draw weight and it was only 68# nutted out.....that kinda sucks!! I'm used to most bows going 1-2# OVER max weight not UNDER!! :(

It still shoots great, just a bit discouraged. A few minutes on the press and it was back up to where it should be but I don't really feel it should have been my job to fix it.

JM
I hear ya. It shouldnt have to be that way.

I shot a new demo Invasion and the thing vibrated very bad on the shot. I was not about to spend $900.00 on a guess that I could tune it out. I now know that had that bow been tuned properly, like it should have been, I very well may have brought it home.

Last year I bought a NIB 2010 Elite Z28. It was way out of specs and sounded like a train wreck when fired.

In June of this year I bought another NIB 2010 Z28 and I have not had to touch it. Its in perfect time and tune. My peep has not moved one iotta either.

I attribute that to Elite listening to their customers. There were others besided me on the Elite Archery Forum complaining about that last year so Elite fixed the problem. Kudos to Pete and crew.

·
Registered
50,316 Posts
If you found out the poundage was wrong after you "tuned" it then you really didn't tune it completely. All bows need to be tweaked right out of the box-----fact of life I don't care who made the bow. Also if it was just a couple pounds it could have been your scale that was off. Has it ever been calibrated? I've seen some scales even farther than that off.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
All bows need to be tweaked right out of the box-----fact of life I don't care who made the bow.
Hiya Dale. Just for the record, have to disagree with ya on that one old timer. The new Elites are tuned NIB. I still havent touched my Z28 and I've been shooting it since June.

My buddy bought an Elite Pure this year and has not touch it either. He shoots competition.:wink:

·
StringMakerExtraordinaire
2,225 Posts
Well, they don't tune them at the factory. And the cheap harnessing they put on most bows starts creeping the minute they put it on and keeps on creeping while it's being shipped and while it hangs on the rack. I always thought that shops were supposed to take care of that stuff before selling them, but few do.
It sounds like SIXXgun didn't allow the shop to tune his bow.

If you found out the poundage was wrong after you "tuned" it then you really didn't tune it completely. All bows need to be tweaked right out of the box-----fact of life I don't care who made the bow. Also if it was just a couple pounds it could have been your scale that was off. Has it ever been calibrated? I've seen some scales even farther than that off.
Agreed

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I don't find it an issue for me personally. I just get them home, new or used, and I tear them apart. Then I start from scratch.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never said I "tuned" it...just set it up. I set the draw length, fixed the cam lean, checked the timing and then bolted on the rest, sights and peep. Thats probably more than most guys can do on their own anyways.

My whole point is that the bow is advertised to max at 70#. It is my opinion that a little over is usually acceptible, but a little under never is. Think about it...if they hand you a box of fries in the drive through and its not full you frown, but you don't really complain when it is filled to the top and there's even a few extra laying in the bottom of the bag.

This post doesnt have anything to do with my tuning ability and I never claimed to be an expert, but I do expect to get my full $949 worth up front without the extra effort.

JM

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
It's just really hard for the factory to ensure these things, bud. The brand new harnessing creeps from the moment it's assembled until it's taken home by it's new owner, unless the shop techs time them and set them to spec before the new owners get them. There really isn't anything they can do about it besides have good dealers.

·
Registered
50,316 Posts
I never said I "tuned" it...just set it up. I set the draw length, fixed the cam lean, checked the timing and then bolted on the rest, sights and peep. Thats probably more than most guys can do on their own anyways.

My whole point is that the bow is advertised to max at 70#. It is my opinion that a little over is usually acceptible, but a little under never is. Think about it...if they hand you a box of fries in the drive through and its not full you frown, but you don't really complain when it is filled to the top and there's even a few extra laying in the bottom of the bag.

This post doesnt have anything to do with my tuning ability and I never claimed to be an expert, but I do expect to get my full $949 worth up front without the extra effort.

JM
Actually it has everything to do with tuning. Bows do not, have never come tuned from the factory and anyone that thinks so is only fooling themselves, that is a dealer responsibility. They ALL need to be tweaked. When you start installing acc. you actual start the tuning process. Set up is only the start of tuning. You cannot just "install" accessories correctly and expect them to work without tuning as you go.
Like I said earlier------are you even sure the scale you used was correct? Not all scales are equal or even calibrated correctly. Not uncommon to see scales off by a couple of pounds.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I feel for the OP. Same thing happened to me with a brand new, out of the box, Hoyt Pro Elite. I was kind of miffed too. My bow wasn't just out of tune, it was WAY out of spec. I'm pretty sure that Hoyt just installed the string/cables with no effort whatsoever to seeing to it that things were right. Doesn't sound right to me for a bow that sells for well over $1000. I am able to tune my own bows so it wasn't a big deal, but IMHO opinion, it's still not right.

Hey, what about those bows of the 80's, the ones with steel cables and Dacron strings? Who knew about tuning then, and what were you going to do about it anyways? :)

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I feel for the OP. Same thing happened to me with a brand new, out of the box, Hoyt Pro Elite. I was kind of miffed too. My bow wasn't just out of tune, it was WAY out of spec. I'm pretty sure that Hoyt just installed the string/cables with no effort whatsoever to seeing to it that things were right. Doesn't sound right to me for a bow that sells for well over $1000. I am able to tune my own bows so it wasn't a big deal, but IMHO opinion, it's still not right.

Hey, what about those bows of the 80's, the ones with steel cables and Dacron strings? Who knew about tuning then, and what were you going to do about it anyways? :)
Other than with the rests, we just shot the bows back in the 80's.

But like I have said, Elites new models come tuned. I still have not touched mine other than to install my peep in terms of twisting any strings or cables.
The bow bareshaft and broadhead tuned beautifully. My buddy's Elite was the same and he shoots leauge.

So reguarless of what some may say, Elites come tuned NIB.

·
Banned
3,502 Posts
Hiya Dale. Just for the record, have to disagree with ya on that one old timer. The new Elites are tuned NIB. I still havent touched my Z28 and I've been shooting it since June.

My buddy bought an Elite Pure this year and has not touch it either. He shoots competition.:wink:

All I can say is your lucky they turned out that way!!!! Mine wasn't and was actually 4-5 pounds under!!! And it hasn't been the only one..

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
All I can say is your lucky they turned out that way!!!! Mine wasn't and was actually 4-5 pounds under!!! And it hasn't been the only one..
Perhaps, but not only mine and my buddies bow were tuned out of the box, but I've read where others were as well.

Was not that way with my 2010 Z28 last year. It was way out of specs.

Ordered another new 2010 in May 2011, got it in June, still havent touched the tune. Nothing has moved. Still in time, peep stayed put. I'm really impressed with that.

Here is something else that I'm not use to that I found on my new Z28. Its still that way after bh and bareshaft tune.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Most bows need a little tweak when first set-up. Figure it as lesson learned. Making sure it is in specs, at the draw length and poundage you want is the first step of setting up your bow.
If you were disappointed in the speed then I doubt that 2 pounds is going to make you that much happier.

As far as the "old" bows of the 80's, steel cables and dacron strings did not grow in length and timing problems were fairly rare.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Dale and Buster are right, most every bow has to be tuned out of the box. It's supposed to be the dealer's job to do that. Unfortunately most shops don't do that. I had friends that bought new Hoyt;s that were out of time by over an inch. The bows were long on the draw, hideously loud, and slow for their specs. The dealer just slapped on the accessories and sent them out the door.

I set them to spec, and they shot like the brand new bows they were supposed to be. The sad thing is the dealer is one of the oldest shops in the area, has a nice indoor range, JOAD program etc. Now they just sell used bows, and "repair" bows, and run the range.

We do have some very good shops that still take the time to do it right.

·
GUT DEER ????
4,595 Posts
took my heartbreaker out of the box , changed the rest to a qad and have no tuning problems at all. no string creep nothing

1 - 20 of 26 Posts