Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so when I say Im new, I mean I'm like so new I don't even have my bow yet, I ordered a PSE DriveX from my local shop but I had a couple questions I figured I would throw out to you fine people. First off are there any basic things I should know about caring for my bow? Anything that needs to be done to it before putting it away after using it? I should point out I am strictly doing indoor target shooting for the foreseeable future, no desire to hunt and no easy access to outdoor shooting so indoor ranges are going to be my friend. Secondly now that I said that, doing research on arrows is making my head spin, any suggestions you guys have? Im thinking carbon arrows as they are more durable, I'm not overly concerned about the price difference between them and aluminum but as I said I am also not experienced. If it matters my draw is 30 inches and the bow will be set at 60 lbs as thats what I was shooting at the shop and was doing just fine with it. The bow I bought had the ready to shoot pro package on it so besides the arrows and the release is there anything else I should be looking at getting when I start shooting? Thanks for the patience with the new guy!

·
(aka lug nut)
49,655 Posts
Ok so when I say Im new, I mean I'm like so new I don't even have my bow yet, I ordered a PSE DriveX from my local shop but I had a couple questions I figured I would throw out to you fine people. First off are there any basic things I should know about caring for my bow? Anything that needs to be done to it before putting it away after using it? I should point out I am strictly doing indoor target shooting for the foreseeable future, no desire to hunt and no easy access to outdoor shooting so indoor ranges are going to be my friend. Secondly now that I said that, doing research on arrows is making my head spin, any suggestions you guys have? Im thinking carbon arrows as they are more durable, I'm not overly concerned about the price difference between them and aluminum but as I said I am also not experienced. If it matters my draw is 30 inches and the bow will be set at 60 lbs as thats what I was shooting at the shop and was doing just fine with it. The bow I bought had the ready to shoot pro package on it so besides the arrows and the release is there anything else I should be looking at getting when I start shooting? Thanks for the patience with the new guy!
How do you 'KNOW' that your draw is 30-inches? The draw length is the first and most important thing to establish, for best results for a beginner.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,655 Posts
Arrows, a quiver to hold your arrows, a release, arrow puller, tube of string wax so you can apply wax to the portions of the bowstring, with no serving....so you can apply wax to the portions of the cables that have no serving. A soft case or a hard plastic case to hold your bow, your arrows, your stabilizers is handy.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,655 Posts
If you are truly a good fit for a 30-inch draw length on your PSE Drive X bow, then, Easton Axis 340 spine carbon arrow. 125 grain screw in field points. Blazer vanes. 340 spine rating is the amount of inches, 0.340 inches that the arrow will bend, in an arrow testing machine. A 400 spine rating, means that the arrow will bend 0.400 inches. So a 400 spine arrow bends MORE in the testing machine, and a 340 spine rating arrow bends LESS in the arrow testing machine. You need a 340 spine rating arrow. So, then, the pro shop will ask how long you want the arrows? Arrows are specified as the NOCK groove to the END of SHAFT length. So, you load a nock in the full length arrow, and you measure from the BOTTOM of the nock groove to the cut mark on the shaft. I would recommend a NOCK groove to END of SHAFT length of 29.75-inches. WHY 29.75-inches? Cuz, cut the arrow LONGER, and the arrow will behave too weak (BEND and flop around too much). CUT the arrow just right for length, and get the just RIGHT amount of screw in field point weight, and you will probably get the best shooting results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As someone who is about 1 1/2 years in to archery I would say either get lessons or be around people who will help you with your form should be your first investment. It will prevent you from creating bad habits. That way when you get new parts for your bow you’ll be able to fully appreciate it more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My draw length was based off getting measured at the pro shop I bought the bow from, and it was the place that was most recommended to me by people in my area. Guy seemed to be very knowledgable so I think I can trust what he was telling me. Thank you to everyone in here for the advice and yes I will be getting lessons as well, Id prefer to learn correctly as opposed to just fumble ****ing around and doing things wrong.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you are serious about indoor Archery, then first thing I would recommend is taking everything"OFF" the bow and throw it in a drawer and get some more durable "target" accessories. Long front bar, side rod, nice dovetail single pin slider sight with a smaller housing, maybe even a light kit and a good "limb" driven rest ( blade rest) as you progress. Nice accessories makes all the difference,especially the sight. As far as arrows go I would suggest something like a Gold Tip 22 series to start, then later you can go to bigger arrows if you want and work with the point weight. Get a handheld thumb release, no wrist release with a punchy index finger. Take lessons, read and listen to John Dudley and others like him.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are so many options for arrows this day and age. If indoor is all that you are going to do, then get a larger diameter arrow to cut lines easier. Victory NVX 25 HV are 6.2 grains per inch with a 350 spine. You can put a heavy tip (130/140 gr) and make arrow flight great. Hope this helps. The best advice I can give is to have a good time and dont get discouraged. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
51,121 Posts
Listen to your dealer. He is the one with the hands on for you. He can answer the majority of your questions for now.

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
Listed to nuts he won't steer ya wrong.
A side thought for someone new don't leave your bow in a hot car or store it in garage or attic. Excessive Heat can cause issues with your string such as stretch and peep rotation.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts