Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hombre Don again,
I have heard some people talk about breàthing when they do their shot routine. Could someone tell me what you should do.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
With bow low, nock your arrow, inhale and exhale to relax before raising your bow.
Perform arm-raising motions by breathing in.
Perform downward pulling arm actions (going to anchor) by breathing out.
Release the arrow while breathing out.
Do not hold your breath at anchor or you'll tense! You will instead relax while breathing out.
Frame the shot within your natural breathing depth and rhythm.

(Paraphrased from "Archery Anatomy" by Ray Axford, 1998, p.70)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With bow low, nock your arrow, inhale and exhale to relax before raising your bow.
Perform arm-raising motions by breathing in.
Perform downward pulling arm actions (going to anchor) by breathing out.
Release the arrow while breathing out.
Do not hold your breath at anchor or you'll tense! You will instead relax while breathing out.
Frame the shot within your natural breathing depth and rhythm.

(Paraphrased from "Archery Anatomy" by Ray Axford, 1998, p.70)
Thank you very much Lubob I will check out that Archery Anatomy.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Someone once asked a golfer, who was proficient at putting, if he inhaled or exhaled when he putted. He'd never thought about it before or noticed. His putting then went into the toilet. IMHO breathing is a natural process and should just be allowed to occur without thinking about it. As long as you have a comfortable rhythm I'd suggest don't worry about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone once asked a golfer, who was proficient at putting, if he inhaled or exhaled when he putted. He'd never thought about it before or noticed. His putting then went into the toilet. IMHO breathing is a natural process and should just be allowed to occur without thinking about it. As long as you have a comfortable rhythm I'd suggest don't worry about it.
Thank you Carlosil, that was a good reply

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Exactly

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Confirmation by The Hood is like hitting the lottery.
My old good friend Randy Ulmer was teaching me breathing routine and he was pushing getting oxy back in your muscles between shots>>>> yeah that's all good and fine until your winning biggest shoot you ever had and dreamed about it for year. You have to master your your thinking> The mental part of archery or all this other stuff doesn't matter.
I lost that shoot I had been training for with this grand idea of letting my muscles recover and get the most O2 back in them as possible, It sure worked good in practice and local shoots but that 2 day of the shoot when I was in the #1 hole going for the win,,you know around arrow 47 something and I was standing there waiting for my muscles peck back up..I started thinking............

Reactions: carlosii

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
That's one of the oldest dirty tricks in archery, too. A competitor will innocently ask if you do this, or do that, or do this when you do that. It's just to make you start thinking and get out of your shot. If you don't believe me, just watch for the smile if you miss your next arrow. There is only one suitable response when you run into this in competition.....it's only two words long, and then it's back to work without another thought.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Like do you always shoot with your bow out of tune or do you like to shoot with your draw length so long? I use to inhale and then exhale half my breath, aim, and release. Now I inhale, let half my breath out, aim, try to get the pin to slow down in the spot, run out of breath and gasp for breath while aiming and hoping that the pin will go back to the spot before I have to let down.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
I have never given it a thought in 65 years of archery. I guess it just happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts