Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friend called last night for an invite to Ohio. He claims they are extending gun season a couple of days this weekend. Does anyone have the low down?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
They actually started this a couple years back. The week long gun season runs the week after Thanksgiving and then goes out for two weeks and then opens back up for a Sat. and Sun. The Muzzleloader season then comes in 12/27-12/30.

·
hunter
8,143 Posts
Yikes AndyComp!!! Read the link above for Ohio laws. Blackpowder days are Jan 9th thru 12th this year. NOT between Christmas and New Years! I hope you did not have big muzzleloading plans made already!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Not exactly "breaking news" I'm thinking this is the third year now for the extra weekend, maybe fourth. Doesn't anybody read the regulations?

·
Waiting for opening day
2,337 Posts
Like the others said this started a couple years ago. IIRC about half the gun season deer are taken on opening day. After a week of gun hunting the deer are not moving naturally. They are going to stick to secure areas or only move at night. So you can lengthen the gun season all you want and you won't do much to increase the number of deer taken. So it makes sense to give the deer a couple weeks to get back to normal then hit them again. Opening day is also on a weekend for this season. So guys who can't take off work can hunt the opener. It certainly will be a good thing for gun hunters.

The downside is that it will be very hard to bowhunt public land in Dec and Jan from now on. There are now gun seasons every two or three weeks and the gun hunters will be scouting between them. So once shotgun season starts the deer won't fully relax until after the end of bow season.

·
I like big buffs!
4,291 Posts
Not exactly "breaking news" I'm thinking this is the third year now for the extra weekend, maybe fourth. Doesn't anybody read the regulations?

Come on now.....:confused:

Actually I was going to post the same thing; they would trust a bunch of Yahoos off the I-net to tell em if there's a season open or not? We should all get on here and make up a 'fantasy' gun season! I bet there would be a few that actually go....lol.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yikes AndyComp!!! Read the link above for Ohio laws. Blackpowder days are Jan 9th thru 12th this year. NOT between Christmas and New Years! I hope you did not have big muzzleloading plans made already!
I have not hunted with a muzzleloader for several years but it has been those dates as long as I remember. I am glad you brought that to my attention because the season has not gone as well as I hoped and I think I will be hunting black powder this year.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm personally not going but thought a few AT folks might?

Come on now.....:confused:

Actually I was going to post the same thing; they would trust a bunch of Yahoos off the I-net to tell em if there's a season open or not? We should all get on here and make up a 'fantasy' gun season! I bet there would be a few that actually go....lol.
I bow hunt Ohio but have never hunted it with any type of firearms. No problem with firearms I just like the challenge of bowhunting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
THAT's old news, it's at least 3 years old, if not more....weather makes the choice for most..if it's nice, like the first years we saw lots of people, the last two weren't so nice, cold and snow and we only saw a few and heard very little shooting... MY BIGGEST question is why the change in muzzloader season.. I have some time off between X-mas and New Years and always enjoyed making a trip out and spending a few hundred bucks then..but in mid-January, forget it..that wasn't a great change in my opinion..wonder what genus figured that out..unless he wanted the kill down.....

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I heard today that they are cancelling it so stay home.:moon:
Sounds like a "personal" invite from boyd. I will post his address and an aerial photo of his house later . . . . JUST KIDDING!! :jksign::elf_moon:

Dan

·
Registered
523 Posts
Been this way for a few years.I think the div of wildlife wants every deer in the state killed
That's what I think as well. They're gonna have to change it next year or were gonna be in trouble. I don't wanna have to go to michigan and show them goof balls how to kill a big buck.;)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
They actually started this a couple years back. The week long gun season runs the week after Thanksgiving and then goes out for two weeks and then opens back up for a Sat. and Sun. The Muzzleloader season then comes in 12/27-12/30.
this is correct... has been that way for at least 3 years (maybe not breaking news though):)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts