Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or is anyone else having a problem with the slick trick ferrules breaking?? I have had two 100gr slick tricks snap in half down next to the threads on the ferrule. One broke while shooting in my target and the other after missing a deer:eek: and sticking in the ground. Gary replaced the first, with no questions asked. However, I've never broken a ferrule before on any other brand of head that I have shot over the years. Yes, I have bent, twisted, mushroomed but never snapped a ferrule in half. Now, I have done this twice in a matter of weeks. I'm shooting these heads on a Axis 340 arrow with the insert recessed inside of the shaft, could this be the culprit? Anyone else out there shooting this combo and experiencing this problem??

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
You may have answered your own question. IF your arrow hit the target or whatever on an angle (even the slightest) with plenty of speed and is not hitting perfectly in line, maybe the nock end of the arrow is trying to whip around (so to speak) and that puts undue pressure on that area and with a small diameter shaft not completely in contact with the full surface area of the ferrule, it is too much to take and breaks. I hope that sounded right as I was trying to word it so it makes sense. Understand what I mean?

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
johnhames said:
You certainly would not want to wait for a deer to be "perfectly in line". This doesn't sound good.
John, what I mean is, the arrow is flying perfecty straight. No fishtailing or porposing. Take for instance the deer he missed. If that BH hit and made the arrow go on an angle where would the stress be? The weakest spot, so possibly there is a weakness there. Just trying to joggle some ideas here.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John, 100 gr and the ke is around 70.

Jerry, I think I understand what you are trying to say but these heads are suppose to be tough, with solid steel ferrules.

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
Yeah I know. In fact I have 1 of the 100's that I have been fooling around with on the same arrow as you. My buddy has killed some impressive animals with his and no problems but he is using a different (larger OD) shaft.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jerry the bow is tuned well and the arrows are flying straight. The target is made out of latex and has no hidden heads or inserts in it and the deer was a clean miss that stuck in the ground, not hitting any rocks or roots. It made a heck of a loud sound when it snapped, I thought it may have been the deer's ribs but no such luck.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Some guys showed me the 100 grain head earlier this year and my impression then was that for deer with medium to low KE they would be fine. I suggested with subtantial KE to hunt elk they should not use them because they looked frail. This is personal opion wtih nothing to back it up except a lot of hunting experience.

Jerry, I see what you were saying. A machinist friend once told me that when threads come out of a larger piece of metal at right angles there will be a weak spot there. I think that is the same thing you refered to. Could be a problem. Let's see what others have found.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have killed two deer this year with slick trick broadhead and wounded one tree. No problem with any of the broadheads. Can't begin to imagine what is going on. I love the things.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've done several searches on here about these heads and have found nothing like I'm experiencing. Actually, the head has been getting a lot positive feedback. Maybe I just got a bad batch??

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
acso14 said:
Jerry the bow is tuned well and the arrows are flying straight. The target is made out of latex and has no hidden heads or inserts in it and the deer was a clean miss that stuck in the ground, not hitting any rocks or roots. It made a heck of a loud sound when it snapped, I thought it may have been the deer's ribs but no such luck.
I wish I could find the words or an example of what I am trying to show. OK, you said it "Snapped" so theorectically if it (the BH) hit perfectly straight on and broke , it would seem to crack and not snap. The snapping was from the whip of the arrow following the BH which now could possibly not be straight and with the amount of energy there, the shaft is smaller than the ferrule and snapped off. Dang I wish I could explain this to you better. It still shouldnt have done it regardless.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I used the tool to square the end of the shaft.

Jerry, I think I'm confused now:confused: You stated that the shaft being smaller than the ferrule??

I guess there is some whip of the shaft back-n-forth when it comes to a sudden stop. Is this what your trying to say??

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I did a little more digging and found out that last year they used aluminum washers and that this year they changed to steel because of some problems of the blades getting loose or causing damage to the ferrule. Do you have the aluminum or the steel washers? By the way with 77 ft/lbs of KE you can shoot a larger more aggressive head.

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
You might be onto something there John. I was just down cellar in my shop looking at the Slick Trick BH and the only thing I could see is IF where the 4 slots are for the blades, that there was a weak spot there. Maybe a certain batch got out before it was caught. Hmmmmmm, interesting to say the least!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steel washers and yes I could use a more aggessive head but I like the flight characteristics and 4 blades, along with the fact that theses heads are suppose to be as tough or tougher than others. What head are you using with that 97ft/lbs of ke??

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.