Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I aint buying that. That is an oxymoron if ever I have heard it! The same with Waterproof and Breathable. How can water/water vapor pass one direction, but not pass back the other??:confused:

Someone want to clear this up for me?

·
Registered
457 Posts
The same with Waterproof and Breathable. How can water/water vapor pass one direction, but not pass back the other??:confused:

Air molecules are smaller than water molecules. There's more to it, but that's the main gist.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sivler max is the only scent proff product on the market.....
and you know that because...................????? Dont' just tell me it works!! Tell me HOW it works!

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Air molecules are smaller than water molecules. There's more to it, but that's the main gist.
I understand that water molecules have certain cohesive properties . Kind of like when you see a water drop hanging off of something before it eventually drips it clings to itself. I'm talking about when water/water molecules can not be forced through a material, yet the material still remain breathable!! I'm saying if you had a 4ft by 4ft piece of material that you could pour 2 gallons of water on and NO water drips threw. Not immediately or 2 hours later. Then the same material would allow air to pass from one side to another!! NOT HAPPENING!!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
becouse it is the only one mde of puor silver carbon only last for about 2 hours witch meens it's no good as soon as it leaves the factory if you don't beleave me read the law suit against scent loc. and go to silvermax.com and i've used it and all the carbon suits aswell. to reactavate your carbon suit you will need to heat it up to 300 degrees thats a fact.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you also need to under stand there's a big differance between water proof and water repellent.
I understand that. This thread is in response to SO MANY claims of Breathable/WaterPROOF by boot and clothing manufacturers. Most every claim is Waterproof and breathable, with a little diagram of rain water on the outside being deflected, while water vapor(presumably from the body), just passes right through with no problem.

Evidently there are many different degrees of WATERPROOF!!! or definitions of waterproof!!:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take a Breathable/WaterPROOF clothing that you know is water proof and blow air from the inside to the outside and feel the air. Water molecules are a lot larger then air molecules.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am VERY familiar with Frogg Toggs rainsuits...their micro-porous material used as their middle of 3 layers has pores that are 20,000 times smaller than water molecules...just as an example.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Breathable waders have bed around for 15 years, its gore tex, or a copy of it. Trust me breathable waders breath. Fish all day no clamy wet feet, or legs, dont know the sceince behind it but there is no doubt that it works, go to gores web site, they show the sceince behind it.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
becouse it is the only one mde of puor silver carbon only last for about 2 hours witch meens it's no good as soon as it leaves the factory if you don't beleave me read the law suit against scent loc. and go to silvermax.com and i've used it and all the carbon suits aswell. to reactavate your carbon suit you will need to heat it up to 300 degrees thats a fact.
What you need to understand, and most people dont', is that silver is not very reactive, unlike carbon. Carbon forms ionic and covalent bonds readily and has a -4 charge. Its reactivity is very/relatively high. So it is readily available to form bonds with the elements of odor causing compounds. Silver on the other hand does not form ionic and covalent bonds as easily. But rather, Silver atoms are tied to other silver atoms through metallic bonding. Silver doesn't have the "desire" to bond to other odor causing compounds like carbon. In fact, the science behind silver absorbing, adsorbing, or even adhering to odor causing compounds is VERY weak at best.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, the science behind waterproofness of Gore-tex makes sense.......I guess. But have too many other companies that really aren't making a product or have the quality control to truly have a WATERPROOF material? Just seems I have had several pairs of boots that supposedly are WATERPROOF only to find them leaking within a month or 2.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It is obvious that you are not looking for an explanation - but rather an argument.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will say this. I have yet to try Rivers West, Cabelas MT050 or, another Gore-tex rain suit. AND I am about ready to invest in one of these. I'm just not wanting to pay the money only to be disappointed. I am really just looking for some encouragement that this stuff truly works and my money will be well spent. Rather than someone coming on here and regurgitating what they here other people say!:zip:

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I aint buying that. That is an oxymoron if ever I have heard it! The same with Waterproof and Breathable. How can water/water vapor pass one direction, but not pass back the other??:confused:

Breathable and waterproof is easy.....

Breathable and scentproof.......well:zip:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts