Archery Talk Forum banner

Britesite FITA scope or alternative small scope

2286 Views 32 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  fanio
I struggle to get sight marks for 90m - even with a reasonably fast bow drawing 28" at 60#, so am interested in a small size scope.

Does anyone know the outside diameter of the Britesite "FITA Scope"? Their website say it's a 1" lens and a "1/16 inch outside diameter" - not sure what that means but I guess it means it is a total of 1 1/16", or is it something different? What other small scopes are available (preferably around 1" or less outside diameter)?

Thanks
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
8,438 Posts
Take another look, the website says that the outside diameter is 1 1/16".

That's as small a scope as there is available. There are some available from Cartel and Beiter that are 29 mm, but that's a little bigger than the Britesite FITA scope

However, at your DL and DW, there is something else that's causing your problem. Maybe an extra high anchor or a too small peep? You should have no problem reaching 90m. My bow does it at 55# DW and 26.5" DL.

Allen

· (aka lug nut)
54,875 Posts
I struggle to get sight marks for 90m - even with a reasonably fast bow drawing 28" at 60#, so am interested in a small size scope.

Does anyone know the outside diameter of the Britesite "FITA Scope"? Their website say it's a 1" lens and a "1/16 inch outside diameter" - not sure what that means but I guess it means it is a total of 1 1/16", or is it something different? What other small scopes are available (preferably around 1" or less outside diameter)?

Thanks
What bow?
What cam system?

I programmed the specs (28-inches of draw length)
and 60 lbs of draw weight,
for a Hoyt ProElite with Cam.5 cams
and 75% letoff.

Assumed X10 ProTour 420s
with 120 grain points
with a carbon to carbon shaft length = 28.50 inches
and Blazer vanes,
for a total arrow weight = 381 grains.

The sight mark between 15 yards and 75 yards = 1.57 inches of scope travel.

90 meters is 100 yards-ish.

So,
if your target sight has only 2 inches of travel,
then you need to use a target sight with at least 4 inches of travel,
and you will be fine.

Pull the sight extension closer to your face,
and the gap between your 15 yard and 75 yard sight mark will be even shorter.

WHERE the nock land on your face?

ABOVE the corner of your mouth
or BELOW the corner of your mouth?

· Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What bow? Hoyt Contender Elite + Hoyt Vantage Elite, both DW 60# DL 28 1/8". I have very recently bought a PSE Supra ME to get a bit more speed. I have only shot at 70m with it yet, and the sight marks are about 5/6 mm higher than with the Contender.
What cam system? Cam .5+ (75% let off)

and you will be fine.

I have lots of "travel" space - shooting an Axcel 4500, it's just too low. It is in hole number 7/8 (I have to move it all the way in (hole 1) on the CE/VE and then only have about 1 or 2 mm clearance between fletches and scope).

nock sits on the chin (so below the big "indent" between chin and bottom lip). peep height is just under 5" above nocking point, and based on my "peep sight picture" should probably be a bit lower (dot sits in/moves into lower part of peep).

I am at wits' end, so any help would be really appreciated!

· (aka lug nut)
54,875 Posts
What bow? Hoyt Contender Elite + Hoyt Vantage Elite, both DW 60# DL 28 1/8". I have very recently bought a PSE Supra ME to get a bit more speed. I have only shot at 70m with it yet, and the sight marks are about 5/6 mm higher than with the Contender.
What cam system? Cam .5+ (75% let off)

and you will be fine.

I have lots of "travel" space - shooting an Axcel 4500, it's just too low. It is in hole number 7/8 (I have to move it all the way in (hole 1) on the CE/VE and then only have about 1 or 2 mm clearance between fletches and scope).

nock sits on the chin (so below the big "indent" between chin and bottom lip). peep height is just under 5" above nocking point, and based on my "peep sight picture" should probably be a bit lower (dot sits in/moves into lower part of peep).

I am at wits' end, so any help would be really appreciated!
Please take a picture of your sight on the bow.

· Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is where the sight sits for 70m on my Supra - which is pretty fast. I can just get 90m with the Supra without bringing the sight bar in - with maybe 1/16" to spare.

The line is where I think the fletches will pass under the sight.

Compound bow Bow Bow and arrow Sports equipment Recreation

· (aka lug nut)
54,875 Posts
This is where the sight sits for 70m on my Supra - which is pretty fast. I can just get 90m with the Supra without bringing the sight bar in - with maybe 1/16" to spare.

View attachment 1357192
REMOVE the two silver screws,
and re-install the extension arm in the TWO HIGHEST MOUNTING HOLES.

You have the extension arm mounted in the CENTER two holes.

Look at the pic of Marcus and see how he has the extension arm mounted in the two HIGHEST holes of the vertical frame.

· Registered
589 Posts
I have a similar problem on my Maitland ... at 90m the fletch just clipped the bottom of the scope ... After talking to one of the local guys, I increased the angle of my blade from about 30 to 37 degrees, increased blade stiffness from a .08 to .10 and already had to raise my sight almost 1cm to have my 20 yard shots hit the X.

I have not sighted the bow in at longer distances yet as I am still doing the bare shaft tuning thing, but I am hopeful that I will now be able to reach 90m without issues.

The point of my post is that there could be one or two other factors as well you need to consider in order to reach a practical solution.

· (aka lug nut)
54,875 Posts

View attachment 1357192
Bringing the sight bar in,
so the scope is closer to your face,
will also shrink your sight marks,
to give you more clearance
between your top vane
and the bottom of the scope housing.

· Registered
5,504 Posts

Thanks
After you try out every thing if you still need help contact me

· Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
REMOVE the two silver screws,
and re-install the extension arm in the TWO HIGHEST MOUNTING HOLES.

You have the extension arm mounted in the CENTER two holes.

Look at the pic of Marcus and see how he has the extension arm mounted in the two HIGHEST holes of the vertical frame.
Thank you for the pictures.
I am not sure how moving the sight bar would help - would that not just mean that the sight block sits further up the sight bar, but the dot (and then also the bottom of the scope housing) will have to be at the same height relative to the arrow for any given distance-to-target? Not disagreeing really, just trying to understand how it would work?

· Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a similar problem on my Maitland ... at 90m the fletch just clipped the bottom of the scope ... After talking to one of the local guys, I increased the angle of my blade from about 30 to 37 degrees, increased blade stiffness from a .08 to .10 and already had to raise my sight almost 1cm to have my 20 yard shots hit the X.

I have not sighted the bow in at longer distances yet as I am still doing the bare shaft tuning thing, but I am hopeful that I will now be able to reach 90m without issues.

The point of my post is that there could be one or two other factors as well you need to consider in order to reach a practical solution.
This could be an interesting thing to try out on one of my other bows, to see how it works out. If it works I may fiddle with the tune of my tournament bow. It is shooting bullet holes and vertical grouping is pretty good even at longer ranges.

· Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The problem must be the peep height. The lower the peep the shorter the range.
Yes, it may be - and I wish I could make it higher, but if it is any higher I seem to get "dot drop" especially at longer distance - the dot drops into the bottom of the peep so I cannot align the scope housing and peep (or cannot keep them aligned) (though I think my draw length is maybe 1/16" long so this may contribute).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.