Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been hearing from my neighbors, teachers, and even at the hte that broadheads fly much different ly from feild points. now, i understood why they said it: more weight, blades, etc., but i went out to try my broadheads (magnus stingers) on some carbon arrows my brother bought me to go eith my new bow, and they flew very similiar to my feild points. they weighed 25 grains more and that made me even more flabergasted. i was also pracricing with my zwickeys and they were the same.

does anyone else's brodheads fly like the points, or does some one have a counterexample?

·
Registered
20,558 Posts
kegan:

IF the bow is tuned correctly (either by chance or by actual tuning)

If the broadheads are concentric with the shaft

IF the broadhead was designed correctly

THEN the bhs should fly very close to, if not identical to field points of equal weight.

About he weight thing. Unless your doing some pretty fine tuning with a hunting rig, or your arrows are boarder line in spine it will take 45 - 50 grains for you to see any real difference in flight due to head weight alone. That being said, it's always a better idea to use the same weight bh as field point - takes another variable out of the equation.

BTW - That doesn't mean you shouldn't check the flight, just to make sure.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
What you have there....is a properly tuned bow.:thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Kegan, if they are shooting good then you can relax and focus on shooting and hunting.Good luck.:pepsi:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same broad heads and just tried them out today. Flight was terrible, kicking hard to the left. However, my field points have been flying great. What a problem to have a week before the season! :sad:

·
Registered
174 Posts
HydroTech said:
I have the same broad heads and just tried them out today. Flight was terrible, kicking hard to the left. However, my field points have been flying great. What a problem to have a week before the season! :sad:

better get busy tuning!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
HydroTech said:
sounds like a spine issue. Broadheads, be they 2, 3, or 4 blade don't generally create problems unless they are just cheap crap, and stingers are definitly not crap. They will however magnify existing problems be they with equiptment or form. Go here, http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm, do what it says, and those stingers will fly with your field points if they are the proper weight.

Josh

·
Registered
380 Posts
i have two hunting recurves that shoot fieldpoints and broadheads identical. as others have stated, that, if the arrows are matched and the bow is tuned. then they will fly identical or very close.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts