Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many years I’ve used expandables with very good success, all but one dropping in sight but the deers reaction to the shot was like they got hit with a bat. But having to reduce poundage using a recurve this year I have been moving towards fixed heads so I went with Magnus Stingers. Many years ago I remember on broadside shot with sharp fixed heads deer would hardly react. I’m hoping the two blade Magnus does the same. What reactions are people getting on broadside shot with two blade COC heads?

·
I like elk!
19,061 Posts
I used VPA 2 blade solids for the last 5-6 years.
Two bulls, three Whitetail bucks and two Mulie bucks.
Five of the seven animals took a few hops, looked around and fell over.
With two of the three WT bucks, the arrow slammed into the offside leg, so that made the bucks run…but for less than 50 yards each.

No gallons of blood, no massive 2”+ cuts, no bendy blades…just tiny little slits—>dead animals.

·
Registered
Until I get paid to advertise my gear, I’m just gonna say I use telekinesis.
585 Posts
Yup, common occurrence and you can see it on many videos using expandables. The heads open making a slapping (shwack) noise. Pain + noise is a recipe to run.

Just a sharp poke and the deer all of sudden are like, “I don’t feel so good”.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,768 Posts
Its a big factor that the chisel point and mech head guys don’t get:

The cut on contact heads- especially 2 blades- penetrate effortlessy. The animals dont feel it and typically don’t run off like their tail is on fire. Even with my recurve, the arrow hardly slows down going through them.

Now if they make you before you shoot or if you hit the offside shoulder, then they will blow out. I had that happen on a quartering coues deer…he went 45 yds.

Ive had a bunch of animals just stand there after the arrow went though them- its pretty cool, most die in sight.
The other advantage to these Strong 2 blades is the design itself puts little pressure on the edge which helps to keep it razor sharp though the animal. In the past, Ive had short chisel and mech heads dull the blades on impact from compressing hair and hide. 2 blades dont do that. Due to that design, I can shoot a $3 head and it stays razor sharp. I’ve even touched them up and reused lowering my BH cost even further.

Now the bad news: You will lose some of these 2 blade tipped arrows. They go through so fast and bury in the ground or ricochet into the stratosphere and gone.
A side note on those ricochets; Many times it directs the animals attention away from you. That worked out good for me last year on a shot on a javelina that gave me enough time for a follow up with him looking away.

Reactions: Tenn47

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,768 Posts
We have been brainwashed by BH advertising on “ Blood on the ground”.

IME, Bloodtrails are more of a function of a high or low shot than whether the BH makes a big hole. Plus on a treestand shot you usually get a low exit with a 2 blade.

Heres a low shot with a 2 blade.

Do you need more blood than that? Grin

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,824 Posts
Seems like if I have a perfect broadside shot, arrow usually zips right through and the deer hardly reacts, often times I have the perfect slightly quartering away shot and hit the far leg and they run a ways.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Most of my over the top expandable killed deer bed down real quick even if it's not a perfect double lung. Double lung drop normally 100 or less. So if your 2 blade drops them in 50 that's great I ll drag mine a extra 50 yards to have the insurance a 1 lung deer is down close by not still walking a mile later.

·
Registered
None
608 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but I have a hard time believing that any animal hit with any head isn't gonna react less or more lol. I mean you just punched a at minimal one inch hole through them. I've shot a ton of animals. With a lot of different heads over the years. Good shot placement = shorter drags mechanical or single bevel whatever it maybe you shoot.

Reactions: Oneshot81

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Most of my over the top expandable killed deer bed down real quick even if it's not a perfect double lung. Double lung drop normally 100 or less. So if your 2 blade drops them in 50 that's great I ll drag mine a extra 50 yards to have the insurance a 1 lung deer is down close by not still walking a mile later.
A deer shot in the lungs/heart. Shouldn't live long enough to go bed down to die.

OP. I have used the stinger buzzcut 2 blades and killed a few deer and hogs with them. Unless they were alert are had spotted me they tend too just kind of hop a few steps and stand there and die or they trot of a distance between 20 to 40 yards and drop dead.

I have a had a handful just flinch, look around and then go back too stuffing their face with acorns until they figured out they were dieing. Then they started the wobble dance of death.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I switched to cut on contact 2 blades a couple years before switching to traditional gear.
After my first year I had no interest in shooting anything else. Little to no reaction, leading to a shorter track.
Ive shot deer with rage extremes down to muzzys.
Only deer Ive lost was with an ulmer edge, lighter than usual arrow build and poor shot placement.
slick tricks and exodus all produced the same shot reaction as a mech for me.
I firmly believe as Beendare often says. Good blood is a product of a low hit.
The one doe I shot with a rage extreme left no blood trail due to a high hit from a ground blind.
extremely sharp 2 blades add to my confidence in the field. Id rather have the animals I shoot die as close to in site as possible with as little knowledge of it as possible .Than emulate my favorite tv hunting personalities

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'd have to dig deep in my memory bank but I can only recall one deer I've shot that didn't know it was hit. It was a buck chasing a doe during the rut. He was on a slow trot inside of 10 yards. He just kept on after her until the lights went out. This is something that is impossible to predict and plan for.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I shot a doe once at 15 yards, from a tree stand, with a Muzzy 3 blade and she barely flinched. So much so I was in total disbelief that I might have missed here completely. Before I could nock another arrow she simply fell over in her tracks. I have had a couple more with said Muzzle and a Slick Trick that launched at impact , bounced a few yards, then stumble, and fall over. Had another doe I shot in the infamous "void" area with a Slick Trick. Burned right through her. Acted more like she got bit by a horse fly than shot by an arrow. Had to follow up on that one.

·
I like elk!
19,061 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but I have a hard time believing that any animal hit with any head isn't gonna react less or more lol. I mean you just punched a at minimal one inch hole through them. I've shot a ton of animals. With a lot of different heads over the years. Good shot placement = shorter drags mechanical or single bevel whatever it maybe you shoot.
Pretty much common knowledge at this point, regarding the reaction of a super sharp 2 blade VS slap/chop mech head.

Not much in hunting is an absolute, but certain trends are easily recognized.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If the blade is razor sharp, and the arrow is flying at the decent velocity, I can see why some animal didn't even flinch when shot. remember, you are driving 2 to 4 sharp blades through an animal, not knocking it over with a telephone pole.

use myself as an example... I once filleted my own fingertip with a super sharp Karambit, the cut was to the bone, I severed the blood vessel and nerve endings so quickly, I didn't feel any pain at all. All I felt was a "burning" sensation.

Could it be that the arrow/BH cut through the deer so quickly, that all he/she felt was a little burning sensation?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Some act like they haven’t even hardly been hit, and some act like a grizzly bear is after them, and a whole lot somewhere in between those two extremes. There’s no way to tell which it’s gonna be when you shoot one!

I can say thru experience that if the arrow stays in the critter, it most of the time acts more panicked and goes a little further than if you get a clean pass thru.

As always, having tuned equipment, a razor sharp broadhead, and the ability to put the arrow in the right place are the keys to success!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
In my experience deer and elk arrowed with cut on contact like Magnus, Iron Will, Solid and other similar heads with or with out a bleeder tend to be less alarmed after an arrow passes through them. That is not always the case, but it’s a trend I’ve noticed.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,768 Posts
Yeah, its probably hard to believe for guys shooting the other heads....I wouldn't have believed it myself.

Here you go....I took the photo from where I shot this bull with a little zoom, he took maybe 3-4 steps...shot was about 11 yds, 3 blade COC head....but not this arrow. My arrow went through him and off down the hill- never found it.

·
Registered
None
608 Posts
Yeah, its probably hard to believe for guys shooting the other heads....I wouldn't have believed it myself.

Here you go....I took the photo from where I shot this bull with a little zoom, he took maybe 3-4 steps...shot was about 11 yds, 3 blade COC head....but not this arrow. My arrow went through him and off down the hill- never found it.
View attachment 7436784
I've had animals be confused and not run far. For them not to know they haven't been shot is hard for me to believe is what I was referencing. I seen elk shot and called to and not go far. Btw nice bull bow kill

1 - 20 of 45 Posts