Archery Talk Forum banner

Broad head problem

789 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  ncsu
I am shooting Muzzy MX3 broad heads with a 1 1/4 inch cut. However, when I pull back my bow the arrow is being pulled off the string because it is hitting the riser. I noticed this when I went to draw back on a doe this past Saturday morning. I never noticed it when I was practicing in the yard because the arrow I was shooting didn't get pulled off the string. The reason why it did not fall off is that the arrow's broad head is turned slightly different and the two blades closest to the riser were more up and down. Is there something wrong with my setup or do I just need to switch to smaller or expandable broad heads?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
378 Posts
I would shoot a longer arrow, but its a little to late for that this hunting season. I like the arrow so the tip is just past the shelf a little ways that way you dont have a broad hear right above your hand and so you can shoot larger heads the guillotine.

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
Clearance needed between riser and broadheads blades. Adjust the head for max clearance. Seeing that you are using a drop-away I would just adjust the nock to get the clearance, you should be OK with the fletch clearance. Let us know. A long while ago I lost a shot at a buck because my arrow pulled of the string, I was using a prong rest and forgot to put arrow on prongs as deer approached, had arrow between riser as suggested as an arrow holder buy the rest manufacturer. Lesson was learned.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
I'm not much on drop aways but I would either adjust it to come up sooner or rotate the head or shoot longer arrows. whatever you think is easiest.

· Registered
4,324 Posts
Look's to be off center the tip of your arrow is hedding twords the right side of your stab. Just what I can see from the first pic.

I agree centershot does seem off, but hard to tell from pics?

It might be possible to swap heads on different shafts just to see the orientation, whereas some heads might tighten to a slightly different postion and give you clearence?

Other than that if not a center shot problem, like others have said, shoot a longer shaft or carefully turn the inserts.

· Registered
1,391 Posts
The best thing to do this close to season is to turn you insert so that the broadhead matches your other 2 arrows. After season you can change it if need be.

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
I would shoot a longer arrow, but its a little to late for that this hunting season. I like the arrow so the tip is just past the shelf a little ways that way you dont have a broad hear right above your hand and so you can shoot larger heads the guillotine.
this is what i would do too!
over the years i've seen cuts on that index finger because of too short of an arrow. you need 2" longer in my book but,that won't help with those arrows
unless you get more.
turning the heads will get it done for now.

· Registered
763 Posts
Just twist the nock to get the clearance you need. If your OCD about your cock-vane being perfectly up/down or out...then you'll have to fletch. I fletch my own and I would refletch before I go messing with the insert....especially if that one already spins true.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
I just thought about something. When you shot your broadheads before season you didnt have this problem? Is it just that 1 arrow or all of em?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, lazy and in a time crunch I decided to shoot one arrow to verify the flight of my hunting arrow. I never planned to shoot two arrows that day and thought I would get around to checking all of my hunting arrows at a later date. Keep in mind I bought this bow from a deceased friend's father that had been hunting with this same setup. Being a pretty good hunter, I figured he had it "dialed in". He was probably aware of it but I guess his dad wasn't.

I shot a doe on Sat. and then had a another doe come in, so I decided I would shoot a second doe to practice with the new bow. That's when I found the flaw in my setup. I know more practice would have revealed this sooner, but I honestly thought I would be shooting under 20 yards and I wasn't very worried about missing. I guess I learned my lesson. Anyway, I think I am going to turn the arrow nocks slightly on the arrows that need it and if they shoot fine I will leave it at that. I not, I will heat the inserts and turn them slightly.

As far as the alignment of the arrow on my setup, it appears to be inline so I don't think I need to move it to the left. I tried to show that in the pics, but it hard to see. Anyway, thanks for all the replys and suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.