Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deer Lease- Check... Food plot- Check....ATV- Check....

I now need recommendations on a decent way to kill bermuda grass and weeds that love hanging out on my food plot robbing the soil of moisture that my fall and winter plots will need. What broadcast sprayer has worked well for yall? How big a tank should I go- the acreage I will spay is just under two acres. Do you think roundup will do the trick?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
roundup will do it. the sprayer size should at least be 25 gallons, but the nozzle sizes are really the most important in determining coverage. There are a bunch of ways to determine coverage, and I am not smart enough to figure it all out.

Talk with the guys who sell the sprayer and the round up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The best time to spray Bermuda grass is when it's flowering/seeding (usually summer time). Wait until the little "tripod antennae" (seed head) comes up. A plant is most suceptable to damage at this time as it uses vast amounts of energy to produce flowers/seeds. Usually you can use 2-3 oz/gallon of Round-up at his time (the concentrated type NOT the premix) to be effective. I usually go with 4 oz./gallon to be most effective. If you add a small amount of surfactant (i.e. liquid dish soap) it will adhere to the plant surface better (we're talking 1 tiny drop per gallon!).

Spray early in the morning on a sunny day. Do NOT mow the bermuda grass prior to spraying. Leave as much leaf surface as possible.

You can usually overseed sprayed areas in 7 days with your desired mix. It's best to lightly rake in new seed to get good soil contact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts