Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and gals too)...

It's been awhile that I've posted on here, been busy with life especially my 4 yr old daughter I affectionately call My Angel. This hunting season has been kind of weird, very up and down. But needless to say it's been a very successful one with me taking 5 deer; 2 of them being large bodied bucks.

I've been using 3 blade Swhackers and they work exceptionally well. The only problem is, they are fairly expensive to buy and the replacement blades are extremely expensive as compared to other brands. So with that said, I'm looking at switching to a different broadhead, most likely a fixed blade as they can be resharpened. The main downside as I see it with fixed blades is that their cutting diameter simply cannot rival that of a mechanical; the Swhacker I'm using is 1.5" in diameter.

So I come here asking you all for your opinions as many of you I consider experts in this area. Thoughts?

David

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I found these a couple months ago. I was not happy with the broadheads I had been using and I tried several other heads before I found these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTR24TQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3OG0ZBRXLV97U&colid=11LBO0JEPVFD2&psc=0

I have shot these extensively with my Horton Storm (at 20 yards ... I have not had a chance to shoot at greater distances). They are very accurate and hit where my field tips hit. They are sturdy -- I have shot 8 heads a dozen times each and they still perform well and show no signs of fatigue. They don't offer a practice head but I tried my old NAP 3-blade practice heads and they hit exactly where these Truglo heads hit. That will save wear and tear on my broadhead targets.

These Truglo heads are easy to sharpen with this tool which I have been using about 10 years now ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G6SLMW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for about $13.

Good price, too ... about $26 now on the Amazon site I note above. I've seen them on other sites for about $35 and the Amazon vendor I note above has had them up and down in pricing from $25 to $35 or so.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I really like the all steel, grizztrick. 1.25 cut, 4 blades. Works good for me..

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
If your bow has the horse power I suggest the NAP 3" cut FOC's. Accurate and fairly affordable.

If your bow is not a speed bow then I prefer the 2" cut Rage Hypodermics. Replacement blades are too spendy IMO but a pack of new broad heads are on par with many other mech heads. Hypos are very accurate and leave large holes.

However, since Rage broad heads are now made in China I will most likely be buying chinadermics instead. Not going to keep paying the same price for China made broad heads even if they are Rage. Some folks are having great results with Chinadermics.

The first two pics are from 125 grain Hypos. Last pic is damage left by a NAP FOC.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
NAP HellRazor ! Cut on contact design and can easily be re sharpened laying flat on a stone or sand paper. Extremely accurate as well and can be found rather cheap. I've found them for less then $30.00 for 3 !

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I really like the all steel, grizztrick. 1.25 cut, 4 blades. Works good for me..

125 grain GrizzTrick's was my fixed blade broad head of choice for the last few years I hunted with verticals. Killed a bunch of deer with them. Extremely tough, fairly accurate and leaves large holes for the most part. Plus the blades are somewhat easy to resharpen.

I also used them out of my first crossbow, which was fairly slow. They still worked well.

At this time I do not know how well I could get them to fly out of my current crossbow but I plan on giving them a try to find out. Sure would like the option of using them if they will work out of my SUB-1.

With that said, I'm not now nor have I ever been into shooting any broad head that requires a different POA than field points. Not into practicing with broad heads nor destroying my broad head target unnecessarily. Hoping for the best with GT 125 out of my SUB-1.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
The grizz blades are cheap enough for me to buy.. what I like is the furrels. Being made if a good quality steel, even if the tip is messed up , a quick filing and bingo ready again.. I have furrels that have killed 6 different deer, with the same one..

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Grizz Trick 2s are good, tough heads. Out of your Titan Extreme, I can't imagine you will have trouble getting them to shoot well. They shoot great (and right with field points) out of my 2 slower recurves that shoot 345 and 350. Slick Trick Mags shoot well too, a little less critical than the Grizz. Another fixed head to look at would be the Magnus Black Hornet. 1.25" cut with the main blade. They shoot right with my field points or mechanicals out of my fastest bow (360+). You could use 125 gr. Ramcats, and get 1.5" 3 blade cut. They need a special quiver and you have to be careful handling them, but they shoot as well or better than any open blade head that I've tried.

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
Im a FOC broad head fan. My bows arrows everything is set up around shooting them. Going on 4 or 5 years now. Starting with the Excal 405 and 380. And now from the MXB 400's

My all time favorite fixed is the Grizztrick ive used the original and 2's.

Best penetrating toughest best flying fixed has been the Shuttle T Black ops. In the 1 1/8" cut fixed category its hard to beat. A little tricky to sharped but a chain saw file does a nice job.

Ive used a bunch of broadheads over my 45 years or so of bow hunting. And theres many good heads out there. But if given the choice thats how id break them down.

If i got the power FOC if i feel im lacking the Grizztrick. Then id get a stronger bow to be honest.

Now no one get offended im not talking about you or your bow. Just my opinion :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts