Archery Talk Forum banner

Broadhead Alignment?

965 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  ravensgait
When installing inserts, does anyone pay attention to the broadhead blade alignment with the fletching? Seems like I read somewhere??? that it can affect arrow flight? I can't remember the details though. On MTO arrows it appears to be random.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,179 Posts
I try to line them up as best I can as I am not perfect. Easiest way is to put your broadhead in the insert then glue the insert in the shaft. That way you can line it up as you push it in. On the alignment subject, I switched this year from feathers to Blazers on my compound arrows. I had one I fletched without insert so the blades are lined up per my previously explained method. I had three arrows that already had broadheads on so I tried as best I could to line up the blade with the fletching clamp when I fletched the arrow. Bottomline I ended up lining up the end of the clamp and not the vane. the vanes are a tad off the blade. they still fly good hitting right with the arrow that has the blade/vane lined up.

· The business is finished
3,122 Posts
Snopes ought to do this one justice. Your vanes and your blades each exert some amount of "input" to your flight, however they do so indepedantly of each other. So, short answer the orientation of your vanes to blades shouldn't make any difference. The alignment of the head in the shaft (being squared up) is much more important to good broadhead flight. I orient two blade heads because of my sighting method but that's about it.

· Registered
2,175 Posts
here is the traditional answer - you can align them vertically or horizontally - they should all be the same - some, as I, believe a horizontal alignment is superior due to the fact that wind planning won't happen as quickly (often) with the blades horizontal - wind can't catch the blade only the flat top and bottom
Great info about the compounds though - I think there's a forum for them:confused:

· Registered
816 Posts
On the longbow with the arrow nocked the two blade head is positioned at 11 and 5 oclock.

With the recurve it's 9 and 3

With a 3 blade it's 1-5-9(clears the riser)

· Registered
790 Posts
as long as my arrows are all tuned up good I just screw the broadheads right on and give them the spin test and they all shoot the same,,, with my wood arrows I set the blades at about 35 degrees to the left (usually 2-blade) so when I cant my bow and draw back I cannot see the blades or the entire broadhead itself.

· Registered
7,049 Posts
I use to line mine up but it doesn't matter where they are as long as they are straight on the shaft and the arrow is tuned to the bow. Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.