Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i am wondering if you had your bow tuned to perfection and were shooting 5" feathers with fixed blade broadheads and they were flying perfect, what are the chances that switching to 4" vanes instead of feathers would screw up the flight of the broadhead or would it really matter? just wondering since i am trying to switch to vanes because of all this wet weather we have had lately.

·
Registered
409 Posts
3 inch vanes vs. 4 inch

I just tried 3 inch vanes instead of standard 4 inch vanes and I'm going back to 4 inch. When shooting a broadhead the arrows just aren't grouping as well. I was warned at the bow shop as well that the smaller vanes wouldn't shoot the broadheads as well.
If you do make the change let us all know your conclusion.
Good luck!

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
It all boils down to the tune of your bow. If your bow is tuned well, the broadheads will fly like darts if you take an inch off your vanes. I shoot 2 inch Blazers on my shafts with fixed blade heads and they will group right with my field points. Tune the bow, spin test the heads on the arrows...shoot 'em up.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Blazers

I WENT FROM 4 INCH TO 2 INCH BLAZERS AND I HAVE A TIGHTER PATTERN WITH THE 2INCH.:wink:

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't mess with a good thing if it's shooting perfect for you. It has to rain for quite a bit before feathers get soaked to the point that they're no good. I used to hunt with feathers exclusively and had no problems in wet weather. I won't hunt in major rain though for the fact that bloodtrailing is next to impossible in the case of a bad hit.

JP

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its not just the feathers guys i also switched to a qad ultra rest ld. the whisker biscuit was just too loud on the draw and also when i shot the feathers sounded too loud. i didnt think it was too loud till i got busted twice while drawing and the deer couldnt see me at all but they were about 7 or 8 yards away at the time too. i just want to hunt and not worry about the feathers getting messed up or wet and the vanes will give me what i want. and yes my bow is tuned and i rarely ever have a problem tuning a bow. also i spin every broadhead i have to hunt so it is perfect if you only have 1 chance at a great deer why ruin it from lazyness?

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
muddflapp76 said:
i want. and yes my bow is tuned and i rarely ever have a problem tuning a bow. also i spin every broadhead i have to hunt so it is perfect if you only have 1 chance at a great deer why ruin it from lazyness?
Then get yourself some 2 inch Blazers and get out there:wink:

·
Bow Bender
6,510 Posts
I used to shoot 5" feathers, but got tired of dealing with them in the rain.

Went to vanes, and shot flex-fletch for years, the 4.75" ones and still love them.

But I tried the 2" Blazers and was quite amazed. They would steer as well as my flex-fletch and where lighter and faster. I shot today for a little while and my Montec and my Strikers where flying GREAT! I had several 1 1/2" groups at 40 yards. They do a great job. Just do a search here for them and get ready to read!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts