Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago I bought a Martin Jaguar single cam to hunt with and decided to use carbon arrows with it for extra speed. I picked up some ICS 340 hunters and stayed with my Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain tips. The arrows were 28.5" with 4" fletching. The accuracy was fair at best, but my speed was higher so I figured I would live with it, and out to 40 yards they were able to harvest a few deer. Well I was getting low on them and had a bunch of 400 ICS field arrows that were 27 3/4" long with 2.5" vanes with the Muzzys they weighed 349 grains. The accuracy was somewhere between poor and rotten. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside. I began to think it was the bow, and took off my Trophy Taker and put on a 3-D Rover with no help. They look to be flying great but the groups are terrible. I got my old 2314 XX75's at 28 1/4" with the tips weigh 478 grains. I shot them out to 60 yards and the accuracy was nearly as good as I do with my 3-D bow. I tried the carbons through my 3-D bow and still got rotten groups. They definitely are much faster but I can't depend on them past 30 yards. The question is, would a two blade magnus make the carbons fly better, I suppose longer fletch would help, but I wasn't pleased with the 4" on the 340's either. They spin straight and I have the blades aligned with the fletch. How about a lighter tip? I am open to any suggestions you may have that I don't have to mortgage my house to try.:confused:

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts