Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'm writing an article for the October issue of the Fishing/Hunting Journal (Maryland and surrounding areas - circ - 10,000) on BROADHEADS. Please let me hear your opinions and your favorite brands and why. Include good with bad such as mechanical vs. fixed etc...

Thanks for all information.....

Bart Shortall

·
Registered
488 Posts
find and ask 5 SHOT he's the man

I think one of the people you should ask about broadheads both mechanical or fixed would be 5 Shot he's the man.:cool: :cool:
He helped me out alot and because of him i am not afraid of tring a new mechanical broadhead (NAP Scorpion ) he tested them for me and i will be hunting with them this year with no fear!!!!
Thank you 5 Shot !!!!!

Eugene:D

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I am hooked on the Crimson Talon this year! It flies like my field points and looks like it will shread some serious whitetail! I match those with the Turbo Nocks and WOW! Let's talk accuracy!!

·
NRA Life Member
1,225 Posts
WASP HAMMER SST 90GR. THEY ARE ACCURATE, RAZOR SHARP, AND I NEVER HAD BROKEN OR LOST BLADES. I HAVE TAKEN LOTS OF BIG GAME WITH THEM INCLUDING ELK, MOOSE, BEAR AND DEER.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Putting the Rockets aside for a little while and going to the 100 grain Wasp JakHammer this fall, SST tip and .036 thick blades delivering a exploding 1 3/4 cut.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant the September article, sorry...

archeryshot is that the mechanical Wasp or fixed?

Also everyone don't forget to add the grains your shooting.

Thank you for helping me with this research......:D

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I shoot the Magnus Stinger 100 grain, never fails to open, cause it's always that way....
I have no trouble with the flight of this broadhead it will shoot to the same point of aim as my target points.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Where to start? If you want you can drop me an email and I will answer any questions you have. Their are just way to many good heads on the market to pick on as the "best".

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have to agree with 5-Shot again. There are a lot of good broadheads on the market and there are a lot of "perfect" setups just for you. Write the article with the emphasis on finding the broadhead that is best for the individual setup.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Blades

I don't give a **** what you think. Use the damn blade that you can put thought the kill zone. This is foremost in the taking of the beast.............WB.......:D

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've been using one-piece (welded), cut-on-contact, 3-blade, 125 grn Wensel Woodsmans for the last few years. I like them because they are long and narrow and provide great penetration from my handmade bows. They are also very durable and don't bend on impact (ie; pentration not impeded).

This year I'll be using handmade tradepoints hafted to ash arrow shafts. I've shot them a bit this spring/summer and I'm pleased with how durable they are, and how they have worked on groundhogs. I'm actually in the process of making a set right now.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Here are some of the broadheads that I like:
1. The new Magnus Stinger 100 grain 4 blade, pentration and cutting 4 ways. Looks like a real winner, especially for the more marginal set ups.
2. The Muzzy 4 blade 90 and 100 grain heads. Definitely bad to the bone.
3. The Rocky Mountain Snyper a mechanical head done right w/ 4 cutting blades.

I think these heads depict the best designs of the three different broadhead styles.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
muzzy

muzzy 4 blade 90 grain. great broadhead 5 deer with this head and no problems would recomend to anybody.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AK in PA - Good hit on those critters. I'm hearing plenty of good things about the cut on impact heads.

Arkie - Good advice!!

My 22 deer have been taken with Thunderheads and Muzzy 100's and the last one with a JakHammer 100. No problem's with these heads but I'm open minded about learning and trying new stuff. Thanks for sharing you experience's.

Keep em coming!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Muzzy 4 blade 100gr in the past and had great luck. I think I'll try Steelheads this year. Wasp also makes a very accurate broadhead. Good luck with your research.

·
When's bow season start?
8,863 Posts
Always happy to help out a fellow Marylander!

After several years of using Muzzy 90 grain 4-bladed heads and a brief try with mechanicals last year (100 grain Rocky Mountain Revolutions), I am making the switch to 100 grain Steelforce Premiums. They are wicked sharp, have 6" of cutting surface and fly to the same point of impact as my field tips all the way to 40 yards.

Brian

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Some really great & bad broadheads & stories from the last few years.

Good Stories

Rocket Hammerhead - 2 deer 1 pass through - Dead in less than 20 yards, 1 85% penetration (bad shot in the gut, my fault) still recovered the deer due to the massive destruction this head did. Recovered in about 100 yards.

Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain - turkey shot right through the hip joints. flopped for about 15 seconds then dead.

Muzzy 4 blade 130 - blasted buck right through the lungs - dead in about 50 yards. Complete penetration no problem at all

Muzzy 4 blade 130 - shot through a small buck at 40 yards - he turned right at the shot & faced me head on. arrow penetrated full lenght of the deer through the brisket and out the back hip. Arrow found about 20 yards about 5 inches into the dirt. Buck was dead in about 20 yards.

Bad Stories

NAP Spitfire 100 - Hit medium size doe at 30 yards - arrow caught her side & skidded down her body. only one blade opened - deer was never recovered after 2 days of searching. Did not penetrate body only cut a big slice down her side. :mad:

NAP Spitfire 100 - 20 yard shot 67 lbs of KE, only got half penetration. Deer was recovered after about a a mile of tracking & had to be finished off with another arrow at 20 yards broadside. The second arrow did not penetrate all the way.

Buddy shot a nice buck at 30 yards with a Spitfire 100 - arrow penetrated half way through the chest cavity. I finished his deer off with a Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade. blasted through the shoulder blades & deer was done.

If you need more stories about good & bad PM me & I will fill you in.

Some great heads I have been testing this year & last are the Rocky Mountain Ironhead 125, Rocky Ti-100 & 125, Rocky Snyper, Phantoms, Steelforce, and Rocky Warhead. All of these have proven very strong & shoot great. If you want details I will send you my testing procedure.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts