Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broadhead best pick--Grim Reaper 1 3/8" 3 blade v. Rage Chisel Tip 2"--2 blade??

Hi everyone,
Many thanks in advance to all who reply. I've managed to confuse myself as to which broad head to go with this year.

Choice #1: Grim Reaper 1 3/8" 3 blade 100g
https://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Broadhead-Razorctip-1903-100gr/dp/B000IERL1O

Choice #2: Rage Chisel Tip 2"--2 blade 100g
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...oadhead-with-shock-collar-100-grain-pack-of-3

I used the Grim Reaper last year and shot a 180lb 8 pointer....hit near perfect on a broadside shot at 30 yards, arrow went across chest and vanes stopped dead center inside his chest cavity (broad head punched through opposite side). Could not believe he ran about "250 yards" and that's motivated me to look at Rage or other...

I'm tempted to stick with the Grim reapers because they flew good, UNLESS someone convinces me to switch to Rage (above).

My setup---Mathews Helium (beloved); 28.5", 400 grain Easton Axis n-fused, 58 or 59 lb draw weight.

Greatly appreciate 1st hand experience with either of these heads--should I stay the course with the Grim Reapers or switch to Rage??

Thanks,
Roberthood

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
With just shy of a bazillion choices for heads to pick from, why limit yourself to just the Rage as the new possible go-to head?

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Rage Hypodermic....the Hypodermic has a steel ferrule compared to the Chisel tips aluminum ferrule....much better head IMO. I'm not a big Grimm Reaper fan......I tried the 1 3/8 & 1 3/4 cut Razor tips......both lacked the accuracy/consistency of the Rage heads. I like the rear deploying blade heads compared to the over the top deployment heads....bigger entrance holes .

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
with a 400 grain arrow and only 58 or 59 lb draw weight im not surprised you didnt get a full pass through, it takes quite a bit of energy for those large blade heads to push all the way through the deer. obviously you had plenty to kill the deer, but maybe you want to look at something with a lesser cut? still kills the deer just as dead.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I shot a doe last year with a 3 blade chisel tip wasn’t super impressed with the hole did its job great but the hole wasn’t much if any bigger than the buck I shot 2 days before with a Magnus black hornet made me switch to the 2 blade extreme and that left a hole!! Have a set of the carnifours in the mail to try this year as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
do you mean 400gr or 400 spine?

the chisel tip is my favorite rage. i use the extremes, but the 2" is still a good head. it has a more gradual blade angle than the hypo, so the penetration is better. i would vote the chisel rage.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just switched to rage chisel 2" form spitfires last year. Spitfires were fine except small entry. If it didn't pass through recovery was tougher and I lost a couple. Only shot a doe and a hog so far with the chisel rage, both passed through, huge entry and exit in those cases, both went 50 yards or less. The doe was quartered away, entered high rear on right lung, exited the left leg. Passed most of the way then broke off, but it broke the large humerus leg bone clean in half, bone fragment at Impact site. Watched her fall. I'm impressed so far. FYI, I'm shooting 425 gr total arrow at 70lb, about 290 fps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well I’ve used GR heads for 6 years now. Didn’t like the whitetail special but it did destroy a doe I shot but you lose penetration with the 3 blade 2” cutting diameter. Didn’t care for the razor tip as it doesn’t like bone. But I love the 1 3/8 razor cut ss. Get better penetration and tip does better on bone. Really shot placement is what kills deer but type of broadhead dictates how much damage. After I use up these broadhead a I have I’m gonna try the fatal steels or the exodus. As far as accuracy GRs have been the best when comparing to field tips.

Shot both of them with 1 3/8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Grim reaper for sure! I use them on elk and deer. I prefer the fatal steel 1.5” in 125grain. I’ve used the razor tip 1 3/8 and the razor cut 1 3/8 as well but would say the ferrule on the razor cut is stronger. I shot an elk 2 years ago with the razor tip. I hit a rib square rather high and it curled the razor tip. Elk still died in about 50 yds with a high lung liver shot and less than stellar penetration. All the others were good pass thrus. I won’t use rage as I don’t care for feradyne companies.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the great replies so far! In summary, it sounds like you guys like both but now considering my KE which might be a tad lower (260 FPS, 400 grain arrow, 58/59 lbs Helium....and yes 400 spine too as someone above asked). KE = 60 ft lbs I think?

Thus with KE 60 — would I be better off with the rage chisel tip 2” 2 blade slip cam style as opposed to the grim reaper 1 3/8” 3 blade — over the top style—as far as pass throughs are concerned and overall performance like field tips?

Note I think the hypodermics with the steeper blade angle would be tougher to get a pass through so sort of leaving that one out.

Thanks again to all

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have used the reaper 100g 1 3/8'' razortips and have been very happy with accuracy and exit holes. I initially chose the GR head over the Rage due to a more 'swept back' blade angle, though I am not sure if the over-the-top deployment makes that advantage moot compared to Rage. I will say that coming from slick tricks, you will not have as big of an entry hole, but the GR heads are still great and are currently my preferred mech head.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just another thought—-before switching to the grim reaper 1 3/8” 2 years ago, I was using Slick Trick Mags 1 1/4” heads. I compared these ST heads side by side to the grim reapers and even though the difference in size is miniscule the grim reaper looks way way bigger.

I still have 6 ST mags so could always switch back.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i personally like 1 3/8 reaper(using pro series this year) more then rage
extremes i used before ...better head imo....but at 58lb draw weight you might be better with rage. I thought i remembered reaper recommended 60lb minimum with their mechs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would also check out NAP killzones...they dont require bands and are similiar to a rage.. i have never like mechs with bands

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m definitely no expert at mechanicals but believe the rage chisel tips use a “shock collar” instead of a rubber band which was an older design. Not sure how the shock collar works but it sounds better than a rubber band to retain the blades in the fly position.

I’m leaning now to making the switch to the rage slip cam chisels....still thinking.

·
Registered
439 Posts
yea they do i used them also....they probably are better then bands but i would always worry about them being seating right or coming off during flight....just a peace of mind thing for me.....killzones dont use either they are more like the reaper....just a peace of mind thing for me

·
Registered
17,685 Posts
Thanks for the great replies so far! In summary, it sounds like you guys like both but now considering my KE which might be a tad lower (260 FPS, 400 grain arrow, 58/59 lbs Helium....and yes 400 spine too as someone above asked). KE = 60 ft lbs I think?

Thus with KE 60 — would I be better off with the rage chisel tip 2” 2 blade slip cam style as opposed to the grim reaper 1 3/8” 3 blade — over the top style—as far as pass throughs are concerned and overall performance like field tips?

Note I think the hypodermics with the steeper blade angle would be tougher to get a pass through so sort of leaving that one out.

Thanks again to all
60 KE is plenty for the 1 3/8" reapers to get consistent penetration.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts