Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think you are talking about the iron will broadheads but might want to clear that up. Thinking stainless would be my choice.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
not sure what you are going for, but i choose stainless. aluminum has proven itself over and over as a ferrule material. stainless is a step up, but doesnt come with the cost of titanium. i dont think you are gaining much over aluminum for normal quarry

·
The Impartial Archer
18,793 Posts
not sure what you are going for, but i choose stainless. aluminum has proven itself over and over as a ferrule material. stainless is a step up, but doesnt come with the cost of titanium. i dont think you are gaining much over aluminum for normal quarry
I agree with this...….I have never had an aluminum ferrule (on a fixed head) cost me a kill. I have bent a few in 40 years but not enough to make me worry about it. I pick steel if the head is offered in that for sure just to be more in the safe zone but I won't pay for titanium because it's pointless IMO.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,176 Posts
I agree with this...….I have never had an aluminum ferrule (on a fixed head) cost me a kill. I have bent a few in 40 years but not enough to make me worry about it. ......
^ I would agree with DQ.

Sure you want to use the strongest and best quality material available in your BH.....but IME over the past 3 decades the ferrule has not been a factor. FWIW, The strength of the main blades seems to be the priority in the hundreds of arrow kills I've seen.

OP, Ti is significantly lighter than SS....with no real sacrifice in strength in a BH application....so between SS and Ti.....pick the one closest to the weight range you want.

·
Registered
73 Posts
OP's original question was poorly posed/poorly written. Thank you for clarifying, OP, as there are ferrules on arrows and ferrules on broadheads...

For my IronWill broadheads, I use the 125grain vented broadheads with hardened stainless ferrules. If I buy more, I will try the IW 125 grain solids with titanium ferrules.

For my Victory VAP broadhead ferrules/outserts, I use aluminum for practice and grade 5 titanium for hunting.

PM my with questions.

JL

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
stainless would be my choice, if for no other reason than i'm familiar with it, and it's for sure strong enough. titanium has some properties that make it a strange choice for ferule material, but no idea what that actually means in that material thickness.....stainless is way strong enough.

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
Depends on whether you want 100 grain (titanium) or 125+ (stainless steel). I went with titanium because I have way too much invested in 100 grain field points and other broadheads. I just add weight to the insert or use a heavier insert if I want more weight up front. Both are more than strong enough if made well.

·
Registered
19,045 Posts
Total waste of money as 60 years of hunting & NEVER lost an animal because of a bent broadhead from impacting an animal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts