Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about a couple of arrow set ups that I have.

This past week I started my broad head tuning WITHOUT a 4 inch wrap on the back end of my arrows. My FP/BH grouping was consistent out to 40yards. I still need a very small rest adjustment as my BH's are hitting about an inch or two consistently to the left at 30 yards (rest goes right, I know). Well I fletched up a couple arrows and put some 4 inch wraps on the back of them. Everything else is the same. I was unsure if they would shoot the same so I threw a BH on went in the back and was a bit surprised at what happened. My BH's were hitting 8-10 inches to the left at about 27 yards. Put that same head back on the original unwrapped arrow and I was back to an inch or two left with BH impact, at the same distance. Both FP arrows hit the same spot with and without the wraps.

Does adding weight (4 inch wrap) weaken the spine that much, therefore causing my BH to hit that far left? I guess I wasn't expecting it to be that significant.

Should I shoot without the wraps?

Should I add the wraps and BH tune again so they hit true?

My thought is just to shoot without the wraps, but I want to know if it really weakens the spine that much.

I am shooting a GT500 at 69lbs. 28.5" GT 7595 XT hunter arrow, 3 inch fusion, vanes, 100 grn tips

·
One Shot
9,181 Posts
Did you spin test the new arrow w/ bh on? Probably just not straight. Hit it with an asd and spin check.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I agree with the previous post; the issue might be that specific arrow and not the wrap. That being said, wraps do affect your FOC...but not enough to cause that much of a difference. It is probably the arrow, or just the way you are shooting it. I would spin test it, rotate the nock 90 degrees, etc...and try another arrow as well.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
if you add weight to the back end of the arrow it will actually stiffen the spine...the 4ish grains of the wrap(approx) should be minimal if any to the effect of the spine of your arrow...not sure why they arent grouping the same as your other arrows....from just adding a wrap ive never seen any change in POI...only thing i can think of is to check to make sure you are getting proper clearance from your cables,rest,etc...and it could even be something as simple as bad follow thru to "peek" at the wrapped arrows when shot

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Its the arrow not the wrap. Either your heads isnt alined or you have a arrow that is not the same spine as the other one you have, and yes that can happen with the same type and size arrow.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the arrow. There was a tiny bit of wobble. Ill try it with a different arrow. Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts