Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is late in the game to be doing this, but with being in the middle of a major remodel on my house, family committments and work, there is little time for anything else.

Anyways, I got to do a quick shoot of broadheads during my lunch break and I had different POI from my field tips. Here is my set up info: Elite Cuda, 26" DL, 59LB, Easton ST AXIS 500s, 100 grain tips, 3" fusion vanes. I cannot remember my arrow length right now, but I think it is 25.25 inches. With my field tips I have been shooting about 3.5" groups at 30 yds. The broadheads I shot were Magnus Buzzcut 4-blade and Steelforce Phatheads both were 100 grain heads. The Steelforce seems to be pretty close to POI of field tips just a little off, but the Magnus heads were consistantly 3.5 to 4 inches to the right with the elevation seeming to be correct though.

Can you all give me some pointers on getting both heads to fly right? My concern is that maybe I am a little under spined. Thoughts?

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump for some input

·
Back Yard Champion
29,718 Posts
Just answered one like yours. Here goesl;
First, I don't believe in tuning a bow to get both field points and fixed broadheads hitting to the same point of aim. I ain't saying it can't be done, just that I've got better things to waste my time on.

As for fixing, go with the broadhead closest to your field points and move the rest one way or the other in tiny increments. Suggested by many, shoot field tips and then shoot broadheads and then move rest taken from the broadhead group.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just answered one like yours. Here goesl;
First, I don't believe in tuning a bow to get both field points and fixed broadheads hitting to the same point of aim. I ain't saying it can't be done, just that I've got better things to waste my time on.

As for fixing, go with the broadhead closest to your field points and move the rest one way or the other in tiny increments. Suggested by many, shoot field tips and then shoot broadheads and then move rest taken from the broadhead group.
Yea, I think I am going to try moving my rest a hair to the left and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
You can also refer to Eastons website and following their BH tuning chart. Very easy and it works.

·
SMH
1,947 Posts
Field Points and BH POI

I was checking my BH's compared to FP's at 40 yards and I heard that $25 sound. It's my second one in the last month - 4 Easton Axis N-fused down the tubes.

Robin Hood's suck

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
advice (assuming you have a consistent shot)--- shoot the broadhead first and then the field point -- less chance to crack the arrows or rip fletching ;)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I'm agreeing with Sonny Thomas here. Some bows shoot certain BH's closer to FP's than others. If the broadhead you want to shoot isn't the one that hits closer, you can either try tuning it closer - or just move the sights and call it good.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was wondering if I need to go down to an 85 grain head with the spine arrow I am shooting (easton ST Axis 500 at 25.25" long). I was thinking that maybe with the 100 grain head it was making my arrow border line on spine. What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
420 Posts
MAG00 - so how r u putting BH's on? Are you picking BHs and just putting 'em on or...."? Just trying to understand how BH's and arrows are put together....? tks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts