Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooting my broad heads to get them ready for the season, I was wondering if someone could explain what I am seeing.

Here is my setup.

Mathews Z7, 65 lbs, Carbon Express CXL2 350's 29" , Muzzy 100gr 3 blade broadheads

I saw the same thing this year that I did last year with my Mathews Icon.
To start, I paper tuned my Bow, then walkback tuned it. Its shooting great.
Started by shooting two arrows that I had left from last year with the broadheads still on, they hit exactly where the field points hit at 20 and 30 yards. I was very happy with the tuning job. ( same arrows from the same batch as the one that fly wierd )
Took some more arrows and removed the field points and put broadheads on. I got very varied results from arrow to arrow. One arrow would hit 6 inches right every time at 20 yards. I tried several different broadheads on that arrow and it always hit within a half inch of the same spot , 6 inches to the right?? I got another arrow that would do a small corkscrew everytime and hit in the bottom right corner of the 10 ring, every time , different broadheads. Another arrow hit consistently 4 inches low everytime. All of these arrows acted the same even after I changed broadheads. Is this an issue with the insert not being square?
I had the same problem last year and the year before. BTW, they all fly absolutely great with field points in them.

This made me try mechanical heads for a couple of years. After killing a few Deer with these and not killing two others, I am not going back to mechanicals.
Please dont suggest this. I am looking for more insight on getting the broadheads / arrows to fly straight.

Anybody experience this before?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Spin test each arrow and bh combination. Could be the insert or the bh or both. You may have to square up the insert face. Also check for epoxy on the insert face, that has happened to me before. There was a bump of glue on the insert. Check your nock position on each arrow, you may have to rotate the nocks, check vane clearance on each arrow.

Once I have an arrow and bh shooting the way I want. I keep that head with that arrow and just change the blades for hunting. I still spin test it after installing new blades just to make sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts