Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To further check the tune in which I posted on earlier I screwed on some Muzzy 4 blade 90grain heads. I shot it at 20 yards and 30 yards. At both distances the arrows seemed to fly as true as my eye could tell and at both distances with this broadhead it hit the 3 inch spot every time. I think things are well. How does this sound?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
it sounds like your on the right track to me. What I used to do was also double check my broadheads for alignment and also shoot them through paper to see if they are flying well,

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
I posted this question in another thread as well. Never group tuned before - need some good advice.

So ok. I tried group tuning after reading all this. All my BH shoot to the right, from my field tips - as much as 3-4 inches! Aaarrrrgggghhhh!!!! Why is that and what to do about it?

Shooting with a Mathews Legacy at 68#, 31" carbon epic 340, 125Gr Muzzy's (125 Gr Field Tips). QT 2000RG Dropaway Rest.

Anyone with a clue?

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Yeah...that tuning guide ...saw it ...a fairly complicated peice of literature...hmmm...When all else fails, back to the drawing board

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Well the main problem as I see it is you confuse group Tuning with Broadhead Tuning.....

It cannot be explained in a few lines... Print the guide out and read it, if you don't understand something, ask and most of us will offer differing opinions.... all of which are correct....:D

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
well let's see an "arrow tuning" guide, you say BH tuning, and then Group Tuning. Yeah ... guess I am confused.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Ok the Easton Tuning guide is a pretty good guide to general tuning for proper arrow flight. And covers all of the below.

Broadhead tuning is tuning your broadheads to impact the samepoint as your field tips.

Group Tuning is a method of tuning your field points to impact in the tightest group you can shoot given your abilities.

·
Registered
1 Posts
broadhead flight

im not sure about group tuning. but to get broadhead and field
points together , try moving your rest opposite direction of broad
heads for windage. ie broadheads hitting left of field points, move
rest to right (baby steps)
for your elevation, move your nock set same direction as broad
heads. ie broadheads hitting low of field points move nock set
down (baby steps again)

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
sent you a pm hope it helps
rob k

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
OK. COOL! I got that confounded Easton Tuning Guide and read through it last night. After I got off work today, I started with the nock point and first adjusted it to minimize wobble. It was very easy to find the smooth point. Then I went all over the map with the rest. Left and right. Where I found was the LEAST diff between 6 FP arrows and 6 BH arrows was with the rest moved as far to the right as possible. Funny thing was, the paper tuning test indicated the same thing.

Now here's something interesting...In the 6 BH arrows group, 3 are 3blade muzzy's, and 3 are 5 blade razor backs. At 40 yards they group JUST AS GOOD AS THE FP ARROWS, only they average 2" to 3" 130 degrees (right and down) from the FP. Both groups about 5-6" dia. I did this several times. At 30 yds it's about 1.5-2" diff.

I'm calling it good for now. Opening day is tommorrow out here in Oregon (pronounced ORYGUN for all you folks who keep saying OREE-GONE). I'm gunna go git me sum venison! Thanks for all the advice everyone. When I get some time I'll tell y'all about my experience between BowTech and Mathews. Later!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts