Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some helping in trying to figure out why my thunderheads 100 are hitting 3-4 inches to the right. I alternate shooting broadheads with field points and the field points are hitting dead on. I took my bow to the proshop and they said everything was still tuned. I spun tested my arrows and they seem to spin true. Does anyone have any advice, I am starting to get nervous with just 10 days to opening day. Thanks :(

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
Are they flying good? If they are, just adjust the sights and go hunting.

Now, if you want to mess with it and dial them in you may be in for a long road. Broadheads hitting right mean one of two things usually. 1)To soft of arrow spline or 2) the rest needs to move SLIGHTLY to the left.

You can fine tune spline by cutting arrows shorter if you have the length to do it.

I will say this, just moving the nock point up and down slightly moved my arrows right and left as well as up and down. It can be AGGRAVATING to get it just perfect.

It all boils down to the fact that just because the two are not hitting exactly the same doesn't mean your bow is out of tune. It just means that the two different types of arrows fly to a different point because they are DIFFERENT!!

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
If the bow is in tune and the arrows are matched properly, then its probably hand torque. They don't just fly to the right because they fly to the right.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
It sounds to me that your rest is slightly to the right. Field tips don't "steer" your arrow the way broadheads do. A bow slightly out of tune may show no signs with field tips, but any mistuning will show up with broadheads. Move your arrow rest to the left a small bit. Shoot your field tips and re-adjust your sight. Shoot the broadhead next and see if there is any improvement.

As AKDoug said, sometimes, moving your rest up and down will correct left/right tuning. However, try moving the rest right a small bit first.

There really is no way that your proshop can tell you your bow is in perfect tune without shooting it. If they told you all was OK just by looking at it, I would look for a different shop. The only way to infinitely adjust your bow for "perfect" tune is to shoot it (unless they have a hooter shooter). Paper tuning and laser tuning, only puts you "in the ballpark"

If your bow is in tune, you should have no problem getting your broadheads to hit where your field tips hit (actually they should hit slightly lower).

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Crusher said it right.

I would add one thing to that....torque. If you are torqueing the bow then it will be very difficult to get your broadheads to hit with your fieldpoints.

I would try what crusher said first. It is a little late to be messing with your form. If you can't get your broadheads to hit with your feild points then just sight in for broadheads and make sure you get a good group. Work on the form next year.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You All for the advice, I am going to try moving the arrow rest to the left a bit first . As far as my form I think I am doing pretty good, I think. I will try to let you know what happens and what i did but not until I finish my shift work set. Thanks Again.:)

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Your broadheads sound like they are better than your shop tech. at indicating whether your bow is in tune. ;)

A bow can be "tuned", and shoot field points, but to shoot fixed blades, it really has to be tuned.

I would suggest a good mechanical (since it sounds like you are getting decent flight with field points). Then learn how to fine tune your bow over the winter. Fine tuning is NOT what they do in the bow shop.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
If you do a search you'll find even more information than you need, but I'll post this again to save ya a little time. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
T-Buck,
My Thunderheads were flying low left. Field points were right down the middle. I started moving my rest out to the left a little at a time and it came right in. I had to turn the nock on one arrow to get it to fly but it flies like a dart right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts