Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am suppose to be going on a hog hunt next year and was wondering what would be the best fixed 100grn broadhead to use or will 100grn Spitfires work good? Arrow weight will be around 344_ 55#_ 26.5 draw. Thanks

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
You asked about fixed heads then a expandable. Any well made broadhead will bring down a hog. I've killed them with Wasp fixed blades, Grim Reapers, Wasp Jackhammers, & yes even el cheapo Allen Spiders. Just put the shot on him right and any broadhead (except Rage) should do the job. Forgot I've killed them with Thunderheads to.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I use Spitfires for whitetail hunting but I didnt know if expandables were good for hog hunting. Thanks AR_Headhunter

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i have smoked them with Stingers and slick tricks both anf it ****ed them up real real bad( the pig not the broadhead)

·
Registered
275 Posts
magnus buzzcuts will do the job

·
Registered
523 Posts
In Australia, these are considered the best...

http://www.blackstumpbroadheads.com.au/

If you are chasing a 150kg Boar with 1 inch fighting pads on each shoulder that are also covered in an inch of dried mud, you want a good strong dependable cut on contact fixed blade head....:wink:

Bingo, I agree 100%. Most don't realize that a mature boar is a completely different animal than sows,young pigs,deer,etec. Then add the mud and it gets worse.
I shoot 100 gr heads even though I realize 125's or greater would be better for large boars. Shot placement is the key. When hunting around feeders, you have the advantage of waiting for the perfect angle. Spot and stalk is different.

Bottom line is you better make a good shoot and have a good penetrating broadhead.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Magnus stingers!!

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
i would not use the spitfires, a good fixed head will penetrate better ,, when i hog hunt i prefer razorbacks, strikers, montecs, and phat heads, the slick tricks will work pretty well also but the blades are a tad bit flimsy, but i have never regreted the razorbacks, a true c.o.c. head with 4 blades that has never left me wanting a blood trail

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
My suggestion would be to heavy up the arrow. 344 is kinda light for a hunting arrow especially if you want a pass through on hogs. We have played with tons of heads shooting pigs around here and my favorite is the Steel Force Phat Head. I use the 145 grain head but they do have a 100 that works great. I got a pass through the other day that went through both shoulders of a good sized sow. She ran a 50 yard circle and ddied within 7 yards of where I shot her. www.steelforce.com

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
My suggestion would be to heavy up the arrow. 344 is kinda light for a hunting arrow especially if you want a pass through on hogs. We have played with tons of heads shooting pigs around here and my favorite is the Steel Force Phat Head. www.steelforce.com
Agree with all that. While I can't say what is for sure the "best" because I haven't tried every head out there, I can say we have killed something like 25 hogs with Phatheads in the last 2 years, and many of those have died within sight. This pic shows a hole in a big 200+ lb boar with the shield cut away to see the entry hole. It's hard to see but to the right of the broadhead you can see the thickness of the shield. This boar was shot at 30 yards and the arrow made it thru the shield and stuck in the opposite shoulder.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I use Muzzys for hogs and am hoping to try to arrow a hog with the bloodruners. One thing of advice I can also give you is just in case you didn't know is that the vitals on a hog are tucked up in between its shoulders unlike a deer which its vitals are not inbetween its shoulders. So the best shot on a hog would be a quartering away shot and almost aim right behind the shoulder and it won't run very far. my dad shot one quartering away and the hog ran 20-30 yards and dropped. Or just shoot it quartering to you or punch it in the shoulder and they won't run far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts